What music do you listen to

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
CosmosFF

What music do you listen to

Post by CosmosFF »

I have seen a lot of people advocating for zen listening to strange stuff like jazz and fusion (no offense pls). Seems like a kinda STRANGE trend... Thoughts? What music would best remind one of the big buddha man?
Norwegian

Re: What music do you listen to

Post by Norwegian »

CosmosFF wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:36 pm I have seen a lot of people advocating for zen listening to strange stuff like jazz and fusion (no offense pls). Seems like a kinda STRANGE trend... Thoughts? What music would best remind one of the big buddha man?
Any music can remind you of the teachings if you really understand the teachings well. It doesn't have to be some sort of official "Buddhist" music with saccharine singing and cheesy synths. That kind of "Buddhist" music makes me want to punch things.

As for jazz and fusion being strange, well I think German volksmusik/Schlager genre is strange, truly strange...
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I heard a story about Chogyam Trungpa who was asked if he thought any Western music expressed awakening. He said, "no."

Think about it - is there any music created by an awakened being that conducts us to awakening? Most of us are not awakened, so to the extent we play or enjoy music, we're really just cultivating an attachment to something pleasurable - and attachment is not conducive to awakening. And then the lyrics - most lyrics are some sort of ego expression.

That said, I love music, and I find a lot of music rapturous. But if you follow the Buddhist logic, the music will only lead to heaven states of mind and realms marked by rapture... at best, so, maybe it takes us to one of the desire or form realm heavens.

I've often thought of great musicians who I enjoy as ghandarvas and asparas...

What music expresses, "suffering, impermanence, no-self"?

Maybe there is such music - but I wouldn't approach music in general as a means to awakening. A little diversion to take the edge of samsara, maybe.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Upaya Chapter

純一実相。実相外。更無別法。法性寂然名止。寂而常渉照名観。
There is only reality; there is nothing separate from reality. The naturally tranquil nature of dharmas is shamatha. The abiding luminosity of tranquility is vipashyana.

-From Guanding's Introduction to Zhiyi's Great Shamatha and Vipashyana
CosmosFF

Post by CosmosFF »

Any music can remind you of the teachings if you really understand the teachings well.
Yeah definitely.... A better question would maybe be what kind of music would best convey the feeling of bliss from any stage of enlightenment (dont say silence, only if music would not be a good way to convey it in). Because i think the music i see posted elsewhere as i mentioned sounds very depressed, anxious etc. and not very "carefree".
Last edited by Ayu on Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I listen to different music in different situations.

This is my favorite track for flowing (learning, walking, biking, relaxing).

For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Here’s some Buddhist-themed Hip-Hop music I’ve posted in the music thread, that’s not, as Norwegian said “"Buddhist" music with saccharine singing and cheesy synths”:

The artist Son of Saturn I believe has a Gelugpa Lama who lives in England; and I don’t recall his name, but he also is in a Lineage of Dzogchen as well from what I remember.

There is a authentic Tibetan music album by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu called Gawala: How Happy. I’d be interested in discovering more music along these lines.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Are we talking about "Buddhist music," or are we talking about "music that Buddhists listen to"? I'm not sure why it's weird that some Buddhists listen to Jazz (although in my experience, since the prevailing demographic in American Zen is white boomers, Dylanesque folk is more common).

Personally I listen to punk, post-punk, and 90s indie rock. Oh, and bluegrass.

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Might want to check out this thread:

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=119

[putting on moderator's voice. clears throat]

If this becomes a thread of music videos, it will be merged with the above referenced "Music Time" catch basin. Please keep to the discussion.
Entered a stupa compound

There is only reality; there is nothing separate from reality. The naturally tranquil nature of dharmas is shamatha. The abiding luminosity of tranquility is vipashyana.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Norwegian wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:55 pm
CosmosFF wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:36 pm I have seen a lot of people advocating for zen listening to strange stuff like jazz and fusion (no offense pls). Seems like a kinda STRANGE trend... Thoughts? What music would best remind one of the big buddha man?
Any music can remind you of the teachings if you really understand the teachings well. It doesn't have to be some sort of official "Buddhist" music with saccharine singing and cheesy synths. That kind of "Buddhist" music makes me want to punch things.
Oh man, this is the truth. Looking for a good recording of a well known mantra, dharani, etc. it takes like an hour to shift through all the syrupy synth-pop mantra to find a simple recording of a good recitation.

As far as the OP, I listen to and make weird music. I don't think there's anything "not Buddhist" about that, any more than my style of peeing is non-Buddhist. If you want specifically Buddhist music though, you need to look to the Buddhist tradition itself, which has produced lots of cool stuff.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

I'm a metalhead, funkateer, and Beatles maniac :meditate:

I'm not sure any of it really makes me feel particularly in touch with the dharma. Sometimes I listen to mantra recitations.
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:58 pm
Norwegian wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:55 pm
Oh man, this is the truth. Looking for a good recording of a well known mantra, dharani, etc. it takes like an hour to shift through all the syrupy synth-pop mantra to find a simple recording of a good recitation.

As far as the OP, I listen to and make weird music. I don't think there's anything "not Buddhist" about that, any more than my style of peeing is non-Buddhist. If you want specifically Buddhist music though, you need to look to the Buddhist tradition itself, which has produced lots of cool stuff.

I 100% agree about the syrupy synthpop mantra stuff being rubbish. And I also 100% want to make some. Or at least maybe sneak in some of the popular melodies for recitation into a composition.
CosmosFF

Post by CosmosFF »

After all these answers i wanna say... There "should" be some sort of link between music taste and state of mind since music conveys some emotion. If you are still attached to music to be able to feel the emotion it conveys sometimes, the music would sound like what you want to feel... So all the melancholic music sounds "too anxious and attached for buddhists"... But people hear different things from the same songs, i guess...
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

CosmosFF wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:21 pm After all these answers i wanna say... There "should" be some sort of link between music taste and state of mind since music conveys some emotion. If you are still attached to music to be able to feel the emotion it conveys sometimes, the music would sound like what you want to feel... So all the melancholic music sounds "too anxious and attached for buddhists"... But people hear different things from the same songs, i guess...
What's it mean for music to sound "too attached?" And why would music that was anxious not be appropriate for Buddhists?
CosmosFF

Post by CosmosFF »

Hazel wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:27 pm What's it mean for music to sound "too attached?" And why would music that was anxious not be appropriate for Buddhists?
I understand listening to anxious music for its artistic value... but people who don't be too anxious but not fully awakened, and listen to music to alter their mental state to not be anxious, what do those listen to? I would guess its something upbeat or calm and happy, without much ego-related lyrics.... But that would differ depending on your worldview...

Music that sounds attached is music that could easily inspire craving or anxiety (this is of course different for different people), like how sexual lyrics or depressed music could change your state of mind if you have any tendency for these feelings in your heart. Think of how scary music in a horror movie can make something pretty uneventful scary, it tricks you to forget the dharma.
Last edited by Ayu on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote. For quoting please just use the tool above. Or you need [quote] and [/quote] at least.
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

CosmosFF wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:42 pm
Hazel wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:27 pm What's it mean for music to sound "too attached?" And why would music that was anxious not be appropriate for Buddhists?
I understand listening to anxious music for its artistic value... but people who don't be too anxious but not fully awakened, and listen to music to alter their mental state to not be anxious, what do those listen to? I would guess its something upbeat or calm and happy, without much ego-related lyrics.... But that would differ depending on your worldview...

Music that sounds attached is music that could easily inspire craving or anxiety (this is of course different for different people), like how sexual lyrics or depressed music could change your state of mind if you have any tendency for these feelings in your heart. Think of how scary music in a horror movie can make something pretty uneventful scary, it tricks you to forget the dharma.
How does that trick you into forgetting the dharma?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Hazel wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 pm I'm a metalhead, funkateer, and Beatles maniac :meditate:

I'm not sure any of it really makes me feel particularly in touch with the dharma. Sometimes I listen to mantra recitations.
I still get chills when I hear the opening chords of Battery. First time I heard that song, it scared me. I couldn't fathom the malice it expressed. My wife and kids can't stand metal. For me, its background music. I suppose I spent so many hours as a 13 year old immersed in speed and thrash, it just washes over me.

I do connect the rhythmic crash of metal to fierce deity mantra like Fudo.
Entered a stupa compound

Hazel

Post by Hazel »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:03 pm
Hazel wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 pm I'm a metalhead, funkateer, and Beatles maniac :meditate:

I still get chills when I hear the opening chords of Battery. My wife and kids can't stand metal. For me, its background music. I suppose I spent so many hours as a 13 year old immersed in speed and thrash, it just washes over me.

For me it makes me feel motivated and somewhat at peace in an active sort of way. Like I could do anything and the world doesn't bother me so much. It gives me strength.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Hazel wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:08 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:03 pm

I still get chills when I hear the opening chords of Battery. My wife and kids can't stand metal. For me, its background music. I suppose I spent so many hours as a 13 year old immersed in speed and thrash, it just washes over me.

For me it makes me feel motivated and somewhat at peace in an active sort of way. Like I could do anything and the world doesn't bother me so much. It gives me strength.
That's kind of what fierce deities do for you...
Entered a stupa compound

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

If you met a guy who looked like this at a metal concert, you wouldn't be surprised, would you?

Entered a stupa compound

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:03 pm ...
Once as I was walking through city streets I heard a strange sound from somewhere above, from a house, and I thought: "Wow, this must be a metal band's rehearsal!"
Then I raised my head and looked at the source of the sound: two workers were deconstructing something with a welder. Yes, it was metal sound, but not from a band. :lol:
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Return to “Lounge”