Backyard Astronomers?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Danny

Re: Backyard Astronomers?

Post by Danny »

KathyLauren wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:52 pm This is my best Mars for this year. Seeing was poor, so the focus is off.

212552_RGBaligned.jpg
That’s fantastic, what’s the technical stuff?
RGB filters, exposure length, telescope size, camera, photoshop, registax? That type of stuff.

Thanks.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Danny wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 pm That’s fantastic, what’s the technical stuff?
RGB filters, exposure length, telescope size, camera, photoshop, registax? That type of stuff.

Thanks.
Celestron C-11, operating with a 2x barlow at 5600mm focal length;
ZWO ASI120MC camera (colour, so no RGB filters);
Best 10% of 5000 frames, taken at 40 frames per second;
Taken with FireCapture;
Stacked in AutoStakkert;
Processed in Registax and PixInsight.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Danny

Post by Danny »

KathyLauren wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:00 am
Danny wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 pm That’s fantastic, what’s the technical stuff?

Thanks.
Celestron C-11, operating with a 2x barlow at 5600mm focal length;
ZWO ASI120MC camera (colour, so no RGB filters);
Best 10% of 5000 frames, taken at 40 frames per second;
Taken with FireCapture;
Stacked in AutoStakkert;
Processed in Registax and PixInsight.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Nice. Planetary imaging set up. Capturing AVI’s
What do you think about the x2 Barlow? Does it downgraded the image, and do you lighten up with histogram in processing?

Amazonis, mare sirenum, mare Erythraeum, coprates, Southern Hemisphere regions?
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Danny wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:04 am Nice. Planetary imaging set up. Capturing AVI’s
What do you think about the x2 Barlow? Does it downgraded the image, and do you lighten up with histogram in processing?

The barlow is essential to get decent resolution. I have a 3x barlow, but the 2x is considered the optimum for planetary AP with the C-11. For processing, I ran it through the RGB Align process in Registax to correct for atmospheric dispersion. I then did wavelet processing in PixInsight to sharpen whatever detail I could. Which was not much, since my focus was a bit off. I didn't do much fiddling with the histogram.

I haven't checked a map to see what the features are. Your knowledge of mars-ography is likely better than mine.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Danny

Post by Danny »

KathyLauren wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:05 pm
Danny wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:04 am Nice. Planetary imaging set up. Capturing AVI’s

I haven't checked a map to see what the features are. Your knowledge of mars-ography is likely better than mine.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Lol nah, my maps are ancient compared to what’s out there these days.. Olympus mons ( which is actually in the bright region (Amazonis) above the darker band in your image, is called nix Olympia on my map, before it was discovered as the solar systems largest volcano.

Return to “Lounge”