Lion’s Roar: A Celebration

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Matt J

Lion’s Roar: A Celebration

Post by Matt J »

So I’m sitting in my car reading the latest Lion’s Roar. We’re waiting for car repairs. Certainly, if one could condense Boulder into a magazine, thus would be it.

My experience:

A Zen essay about a Zen essay.

How to resolve conflicts between one’s therapist and dharma teacher.

Quotes from Shabkar juxtaposed on a photo of a kitten. 🐱

The word Everlost.

An ad for a Celtic, African, Native American, Spiritual Psychology, Sufi, Christian, Hindu, Sound Healing, Kabbalah, Buddhist mystery school.

It has rendered me ... thoughtless? I don’t know if this is middle class kitschy trash or a super Maha approach to nonconceptuality.
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Lion’s Roar: A Celebration

Post by Queequeg »

Matt J wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 am So I’m sitting in my car reading the latest Lion’s Roar. We’re waiting for car repairs. Certainly, if one could condense Boulder into a magazine, thus would be it.

My experience:

A Zen essay about a Zen essay.

How to resolve conflicts between one’s therapist and dharma teacher.

Quotes from Shabkar juxtaposed on a photo of a kitten. 🐱

The word Everlost.

An ad for a Celtic, African, Native American, Spiritual Psychology, Sufi, Christian, Hindu, Sound Healing, Kabbalah, Buddhist mystery school.

It has rendered me ... thoughtless? I don’t know if this is middle class kitschy trash or a super Maha approach to nonconceptuality.
Eastern spirituality to go along with Karen's Buddha that she bought at Pier 1.

Upaya extends in mysterious ways.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Upaya Chapter

純一実相。実相外。更無別法。法性寂然名止。寂而常渉照名観。
There is only reality; there is nothing separate from reality. The naturally tranquil nature of dharmas is shamatha. The abiding luminosity of tranquility is vipashyana.

-From Guanding's Introduction to Zhiyi's Great Shamatha and Vipashyana
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

I was waiting to see when a Karen reference would pop up on this forum :jumping:

Thought about bringing it up myself, but....
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I need Simon’s address so I can order him a subscription.

:rolling:
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Karen is so easy. She's low hanging fruit.
Entered a stupa compound

There is only reality; there is nothing separate from reality. The naturally tranquil nature of dharmas is shamatha. The abiding luminosity of tranquility is vipashyana.

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Matt J wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:40 am I need Simon’s address so I can order him a subscription.

:rolling:
You want to give the guy an aneurysm?

Better yet, send it to Mantrik.
Entered a stupa compound

Danny

Post by Danny »

Only thing missing would be richard gere commentary and a flute sound track.
Then you know it’s legit.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Seriously though, don’t be a dharma snob
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:41 am Karen is so easy. She's low hanging fruit.
But the Karens of Boulder are a slightly different breed from the Karens of, say, Florida. They have the same distinctive tone-deafness, solipsism and air of aggrieved victimhood, but lack the overtly trashy packaging. While Orlando Karen would complain that Baskin Robbins is violating her constitutional rights by asking her to wear a mask in the shop, Boulder Karen would complain that Wholefoods forcing her to wear a mask is messing up her energy flow because organic hemp facemasks are so difficult to find these days.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Sādhaka wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:29 am I thought that the Karen meme began with control-freak type ladies trying to get black guys in trouble over stupid things.

Apparently there’s no agreement on who exactly “Karen” is.

I guess she can be ‘conservative’ or ‘liberal’.
Well, let us turn to the source of all knowledge - Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(pejorative)
Karen is a pejorative term used in the United States and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a racist white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others. Depictions also include demanding to "speak to the manager", being an anti-vaxxer, or having a particular bob cut hairstyle. ...

The term may have originated on Black Twitter as a meme used to describe white women who "tattle on Black kids' lemonade stands". It has also been described as originating with black women but having been co-opted by white men. University of Virginia media researcher Meredith Clark said that the idea of a white woman in the vicinity of whom blacks needed to be careful because she wouldn't hesitate to use her "privilege" at the expense of others, "has always been there; it just hasn't always been so specific to one person's name. Karen has gone by different names. Back in the '90s, when 'Baby Got Back' came out, it was Becky." ...

Rachel Charlene Lewis, writing for Bitch media, agrees, saying a Karen "sees no one as an individual, instead moving through the world prepared to fight faceless conglomerate of lesser-than people who won’t give her what she wants and feels she deserves. She’ll wield the power that, yes, might be very different from that of a white man, as she makes her demands. And that feeling of entitlement is what makes her, undeniably, a Karen."

The Karen meme carries several stereotypes, the most notable being the stereotype that a Karen will demand to "speak with the manager" of a hypothetical service provider. Other stereotypes include anti-vaccination beliefs, racism, excessive use of Facebook and a particular bob haircut with blond highlights; pictures of Kate Gosselin as well as Jenny McCarthy's bob cut are often used to depict Karen, and their bobs are sometimes called the "can-I-speak-to-your-manager haircut".
Have to say I'm impressed that by the level of research that went into this, including the somewhat obscure early 90s reference to Sir Mixalot...
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Hm, I’ve seen bits & pieces, here & there, of what’s in that wikipedia article.

I don’t get the anti-vaxx thing there though; as anti-vaccination is a anti-authoritarian thing, whereas Karen is portrayed as the epitome of authoritarianism.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Sādhaka wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:36 am Hm, I’ve seen bits & pieces, here & there, of what’s in that wikipedia article.

I don’t get the anti-vaxx thing there though; as anti-vaccination is a anti-authoritarian thing, whereas Karen is portrayed as the epitome of authoritarianism.
Anti-vaxxers are "I know better than anyone else" types, so it does fit. Karen is not authoritarian in the sense of enforcing others' authority but in the sense of asserting her own views.

:coffee:
Kim
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sādhaka wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:36 am Hm, I’ve seen bits & pieces, here & there, of what’s in that wikipedia article.

There is NOTHING anti-authoritarian about anti-vaxx.

Anti-scientific? Yes! Anti-authoritarian? No!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

To be fair some of the American anti-vaxx demographic are from anti-authoritative communities though they define it differently be it closed religious communities or off grid anarchists as examples.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:16 pm To be fair some of the American anti-vaxx demographic are from anti-authoritative communities though they define it differently be it closed religious communities or off grid anarchists as examples.
A dog has four legs...

There is nothing anti-authoritarian about refusing to protect yourself from highly communicable and deadly diseases.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:22 pm
tkp67 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:16 pm To be fair some of the American anti-vaxx demographic are from anti-authoritative communities though they define it differently be it closed religious communities or off grid anarchists as examples.
A dog has four legs...

There is nothing anti-authoritarian about refusing to protect yourself from highly communicable and deadly diseases.
My friend I respect that you are an upright virtuous anti-authoritarian and those are part and parcel of the meaning.

In America many people don't have solid reasoning for choosing to express a liberty be it reasonable or not. Government mistrust in some communities makes for a swath of people whose sole reasoning for opposition is that it is a choice

They never understood it from a historical or philosophical context. We are that young of a country with that much ignorance. It really is hard to conceive until you experience it.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Karen is flagging this thread. She insists she needs to talk to an administrator.
Entered a stupa compound

tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

I am still torn between Ernest P. Worrell, Stuart Smalley or Pat as an avatar. So hard to find the best fit.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

My very best friend's name is Karen. She is a woman of great energy, but she would never call the manager for nothing. She's a person with much friendly dignity.

So, NOT ALL KARENS ARE ALIKE! :cheers:
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
Danny

Post by Danny »

PeterC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:19 am

Well, let us turn to the source of all knowledge - Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(pejorative)
Karen is a pejorative term used in the United States and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a racist white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others. Depictions also include demanding to "speak to the manager", being an anti-vaxxer, or having a particular bob cut hairstyle. ...

The term may have originated on Black Twitter as a meme used to describe white women who "tattle on Black kids' lemonade stands". It has also been described as originating with black women but having been co-opted by white men. University of Virginia media researcher Meredith Clark said that the idea of a white woman in the vicinity of whom blacks needed to be careful because she wouldn't hesitate to use her "privilege" at the expense of others, "has always been there; it just hasn't always been so specific to one person's name. Karen has gone by different names. Back in the '90s, when 'Baby Got Back' came out, it was Becky." ...

Rachel Charlene Lewis, writing for Bitch media, agrees, saying a Karen "sees no one as an individual, instead moving through the world prepared to fight faceless conglomerate of lesser-than people who won’t give her what she wants and feels she deserves. She’ll wield the power that, yes, might be very different from that of a white man, as she makes her demands. And that feeling of entitlement is what makes her, undeniably, a Karen."

The Karen meme carries several stereotypes, the most notable being the stereotype that a Karen will demand to "speak with the manager" of a hypothetical service provider. Other stereotypes include anti-vaccination beliefs, racism, excessive use of Facebook and a particular bob haircut with blond highlights; pictures of Kate Gosselin as well as Jenny McCarthy's bob cut are often used to depict Karen, and their bobs are sometimes called the "can-I-speak-to-your-manager haircut".
Have to say I'm impressed that by the level of research that went into this, including the somewhat obscure early 90s reference to Sir Mixalot...
I think this wiki is just critical race theory.

Return to “Lounge”