Dharma of Skating...

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
climb-up

Re: Dharma of Skating...

Post by climb-up »

Danny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 am
I disagree, last summer I got caught up with a “riot” lol
I grabbed the guys skateboard and tossed it 30 feet...
You think wearing a black hoodie and riding around on a skateboard and using it to smash the windows on some poor guys car is a protest...
I’m not making any arguments for or against protests here, I’m saying that your painting with a very broad brush and using certain examples that you’re aware of to dismiss a generation.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
justsit

Post by justsit »

I'm guessing many of us have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I was already riding when that come out in 1974, and was eagerly awaiting interesting tales about wrenching and maybe some good tips. At the time, I found the book a bit disappointing.

But apparently some seeds had been planted. Over 100,000 miles later, turns out there was a whole 'nother level I missed on the first go around. Took me years to catch up. Funny how things work sometimes.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

justsit wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:38 pm I'm guessing many of us have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I was already riding when that come out in 1974, and was eagerly awaiting interesting tales about wrenching and maybe some good tips. At the time, I found the book a bit disappointing.

But apparently some seeds had been planted. Over 100,000 miles later, turns out there was a whole 'nother level I missed on the first go around. Took me years to catch up. Funny how things work sometimes.
I read much of it, listened to it as an audiobook. Not much wrenching, not much zen, it seemed to me mostly about him fooling around with his projections. But I'll give him credit for the basic mechanical work- not pro level but good shade tree competence.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

narhwal90 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:14 pm ...not pro level but good shade tree competence.
In his zen, too, IMO.
:smile:
But I may have missed something.

:coffee:
Kim
Danny

Post by Danny »

climb-up wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 am
Danny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 am
I disagree, last summer I got caught up with a “riot” lol
I grabbed the guys skateboard and tossed it 30 feet...
You think wearing a black hoodie and riding around on a skateboard and using it to smash the windows on some poor guys car is a protest...
I’m not making any arguments for or against protests here, I’m saying that your painting with a very broad brush and using certain examples that you’re aware of to dismiss a generation.
Again cool that you understand is tongue in cheek stuff.

Satire.

But still....

Geez a protest vs a paid for tantrum.

Return to “Lounge”