Why don't "enlightened masters" work together?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Why don't "enlightened masters" work together?

Post by Queequeg »

LOL

Off the top of my head - I can think of HHDL's interactions with the late Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, the ongoing support of the Karmapa... Its kind of HHDL's job to work with and support Tibetan Buddhism in general.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
paradox524

Post by paradox524 »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:38 pm LOL

Off the top of my head - I can think of HHDL's interactions with the late Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, the ongoing support of the Karmapa... Its kind of HHDL's job to work with and support Tibetan Buddhism in general.
Thank you for finally providing an example, but DKR was one of the HHDL's teachers. As I specified in my OP, I am asking about something other teachers working with their students.
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

paradox524 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:51 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 pm Wrong forum, friend.

The Buddha considered the Jains to have wrong view.

There is no such story of a meeting of Mahavira in the Buddhist canon. That kind of perrenialism is not shared.

Among the Buddha's followers, cooperation among realized beings is common.
Ok. How about across Buddhist schools?

Do we have examples of, for example, acknowledged Dzogchen masters working with acknowledged Zen masters in a spiritual context? And if so, can you actually provide specific examples?
What exactly would you expect to happen? They get together and do what? The schools have different views, shall they just discuss common ground? If anything it's better to have masters spread out to cover more ground. I'm genuinely curious, what do you think many masters coming together would accomplish?
paradox524

Post by paradox524 »

mechashivaz wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:43 pm
paradox524 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:51 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 pm Wrong forum, friend.

The Buddha considered the Jains to have wrong view.

There is no such story of a meeting of Mahavira in the Buddhist canon. That kind of perrenialism is not shared.

Among the Buddha's followers, cooperation among realized beings is common.
Ok. How about across Buddhist schools?

Do we have examples of, for example, acknowledged Dzogchen masters working with acknowledged Zen masters in a spiritual context? And if so, can you actually provide specific examples?
What exactly would you expect to happen? They get together and do what? The schools have different views, shall they just discuss common ground? If anything it's better to have masters spread out to cover more ground. I'm genuinely curious, what do you think many masters coming together would accomplish?
I honestly don't know. I am looking for thoughts about this very point. Perhaps one answer to my question is that masters don't work together because there's nothing they could do jointly that would be more than the sum of its parts. Or perhaps there are ego issues at play. I'm unsure.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

If there's ego, not enlightened.

They can testify to each other's authenticity. This is common especially in Tibetan Buddhism.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

It's a paradox. :)

Well, we should pick a particular topic and see if there's combined efforts on it.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
source_learning

Post by source_learning »

Trungpa Rinpoche was quite close with Shunryu Suzuki Roshi while the latter was alive. There was immense mutual respect, and for some amount of time, Suzuki Roshi’s image was enshrined in Trungpa-lineage centers with the lineage masters. Suzuki Roshi was once seen setting out CTR’s shoes. Questioned by his own students, he said something to the effect that “He is a king of the dharma; I am a servant.”

I’m sure there are other examples. I think your question is a reasonable one and I’m puzzled by the negative responses. I’m sure there must be other examples.
bokki

Post by bokki »

If there's ego, not enlightened.
now, i will refute this, once and for all.
who told you that?
are you not informed?
has not a fool named Dogen, crossed the sea , and went to China?
has not a fool named Hakuin had 17 insights...
has not a fool named Siddhartha leave his family , and starve himself, and sit under a tree untill..
lol, now you so happy to be clever, all of them are ego moves...ok
but, say, " enlightened." SAT DOWN AND TALKED, LOL, ME FRIEND, THAT WOULD BE A DISASTER
so much, about no ego...
ask Siddhartha, he will be happy to explain...
i am not here , you are not here,
but i really worry about this guy..
and this one is superrrr...yea, really
'???
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

well wisher

Post by well wisher »

Here ya go, some pictures of Buddhist masters from different traditions, working together in harmony:

Theravada with Vajrayana :
Dalai Lama leads historic conclave with Sri Lankan Buddhists
March 21, 2015 12:56 pm
http://www.tibetanreview.net/dalai-lama ... buddhists/

Mahayana with Vajrayana :
Master Hsuan Hua With Dalai Lama

Mahayana with Theravada:
http://wisdomquarterly.blogspot.com/201 ... -away.html
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Mahayana Master Ven. Jen Chun With Theravada Master Bhikkhu Bodhi

Look at all the colorful different robes! So colorful! :twothumbsup:

Source: https://buddhafolk.files.wordpress.com/ ... erence.jpg

There are much more real life examples than these, including international Buddhist council meetings ..etc.

It's just politics and human ego "tribalism" that might affect some from cooperating with others though, for some short periods.
But do not worry, in the background I am sure they are all working for the same noble goals for better life for all us humans, and all part of the noble Sangha!
mechashivaz wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:43 pm If anything it's better to have masters spread out to cover more ground.
Agreed, I believe the actual reality is that all Buddhist vehicles actually do work very well together in harmony, like different pieces of the same puzzle board. Even thought on surface and in short term, it may not seem they fit together well. but I think that is only an illusion.
Remember the 84000+ doors to the dharma, like many others in this forum already stated.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

As others have mentioned, these kinds of mutual support and co-operation are so common as to be unremarkable. Oftentimes, especially in the Tibetan lineages, this work will involve mutual teacher-student relationships. You should consult the biographies of lamas such as Trijang Rinpoche's The Magical Play of Illusion, The Life and Times of Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö, Tulku Urgyen's Blazing Splendor, Ling Rinpoche's The Life of My Teacher to get a glimpse of the complex network of patronage, collaboration, and co-operation. The very famous trio of Jamgon Kongtrul, Jamyang Khyentse, and Chokgyur Lingpa come to mind.

Other examples:

1) Master Hsuan Hua and Luang Por Sumedho: Master Hsuan Hua famously donated part of the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas land for the establishment of Abhayaghiri monastery. Ordinations at the City have been conducted with a mixed platform including Theravadan monks.

2) Gyalwang Karmapa has invited nuns from Nan Lin Vinaya Nunnery in Taiwan to help establish bhikshuni ordination among Kagyu nuns by conferring shramanerika ordination, he has also relied on support of Taiwanese bhikshunis when establishing the discipline and conduct of the nuns during the Kagyu Monlam. He has conducted the Sangharama protector ritual together with Master Hai Tao during the Monlam.

3) Master Hai Tao is a major sponsor of Sera Jey monastery in India, and was especially kind in supporting Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Palden.

4) The late Master Bo Sung of Songgwangsa was a major sponsor of the Tibetan temple Kwangsungsa in Busan. There is an interesting history to this temple. It was founded by Master Haesan. He instructed his lay disciples to maintain the temple well after his death, as monks in red robes would come there to spread the dharma in the future. This was at a time when Tibet was practically unknown in the country.

5) His Holiness the Dalai Lama does not take fees for his events, and will have any revenue distributed to other causes. As an example, after events in Long Beach in 2012, Thubten Dhargyey Ling was given $50,000 to support their projects.

6) Master Jaewoong Kim offered support for the charitable activities of, among others, Master Beopryun.

Return to “Lounge”