Buddhist Monks on the Las Vegas Strip

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
KristenM

Re: Buddhist Monks on the Las Vegas Strip

Post by KristenM »

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The consensus on DW is they're fake. I can't even fathom the type of person who would engage in these scams, talk about negative karma.

Maybe my first thought was right, as I saw a "nun" trying to give a mala bracelet to people. I thought maybe she is a human trafficking victim. Now, I'm thinking that may be correct. Bloody hell. :?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

TharpaChodron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 amThe rat is actually a squirrel? I feel so much better now. :)
Don't get too happy, squirrels are rodents too! :P
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

TharpaChodron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 am
You can see it here:

https://www.vegasnews.com/126105/giant- ... -year.html

Nice, eh?
Hey, thanks for saving me a trip to Vegas!

That is impressive.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

We have these "fake monks" in SF. I have interacted with them. The clue is that they try to give you some trinket and then immediately ask for money. I have wondered if they are organized, or if this sort of thing is individually driven, but I can't say. I got into a discussion with one of them about Karma, and it was immediately apparent that the individual I was talking to had very cursory knowledge of Dharma. I've also spent some time watching them from a distance. I am certain they are scammers.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

conebeckham wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:34 pm We have these "fake monks" in SF. I have interacted with them. The clue is that they try to give you some trinket and then immediately ask for money. I have wondered if they are organized, or if this sort of thing is individually driven, but I can't say. I got into a discussion with one of them about Karma, and it was immediately apparent that the individual I was talking to had very cursory knowledge of Dharma. I've also spent some time watching them from a distance. I am certain they are scammers.
Engaging in a dharma discussion to verify their authenticity is a clever idea. The one I met acted like he didn't speak English, though. Now, if I'd of had one you Dharmawheelers who speaks Chinese with me, that would have been fun.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

They existed a long time ago in Singapore.

Once one of them approached me. I laughed at him and said "you are a fake monk." in Chinese. He look shocked. I was surprised that he was shocked TBH, I would have thought an experienced scammer would take it in stride. Then I said further "I'll call the police." He then hurriedly walked off.

Another time I met an Indian man who approached me and said "You have a lucky face." Unbeknowst to him I had read an article about this very scam in India just the day before. I just laughed because of the seredenpity but he seemed taken aback. I walked off.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

MiphamFan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 am They existed a long time ago in Singapore.

Once one of them approached me. I laughed at him and said "you are a fake monk." in Chinese. He look shocked. I was surprised that he was shocked TBH, I would have thought an experienced scammer would take it in stride. Then I said further "I'll call the police." He then hurriedly walked off.

Another time I met an Indian man who approached me and said "You have a lucky face." Unbeknowst to him I had read an article about this very scam in India just the day before. I just laughed because of the seredenpity but he seemed taken aback. I walked off.
What if you really do have a lucky face?
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

amanitamusc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:00 am
MiphamFan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 am They existed a long time ago in Singapore.

Quite lucky to have encountered the Dharma, that's for sure!
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:02 am
amanitamusc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:00 am

Quite lucky to have encountered the Dharma, that's for sure!
:twothumbsup:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Why question the "authenticity" of these people ? Aren't we all fake ?
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:01 am Why question the "authenticity" of these people ? Aren't we all fake ?
Would you take one as your root guru?
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

amanitamusc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:14 am
Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:01 am Why question the "authenticity" of these people ? Aren't we all fake ?
Would you take one as your root guru?

No. But if i really had pure view, i should/could.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 amNo. But if i really had pure view, i should/could.
That's a strange interpretation of pure vision you have there and an equally weird view of the guru.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

DNS wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:32 am I live in Vegas, but not sure if those monks were real or not. I know some come here to give talks or for some programs and then while here some want to see what all the excitement is at the Strip (Las Vegas Blvd). I have heard that some have been seen gambling on the slots. I know in Asia there have been many fake monks caught, pretending to be monks to get money donations from tourists and locals. I remember in India seeing a bunch of what looked like monks running after a tour bus and thought that was odd, but then heard that they were most likely not real monks. The robes can be purchased and it is of course easy to shave one's head.

In front of Caesars Palace is a Brahma statue, with the throne about 10 to 15 feet high.

Came across many fake monks in Pushkar around the Brahma temple. One of the students I took there refused to pay for a puja so the 'monk' booted the kid's camera into the lake! They also beat up our minibus driver. Robes are cheap.....I'd sooner trust a camel than a monk in that place.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 am No. But if i really had pure view, i should/could.
In this case the deciple has to know much more than the guru. Seems to be a too high demand.
I understand, every tree, stone or garbage-can could be seen as a teacher. But nevertheless you won't sit in front of them for weeks. :smile:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Grigoris wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 am
Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 amNo. But if i really had pure view, i should/could.
That's a strange interpretation of pure vision you have there and an equally weird view of the guru.

:shrug:

btw...if it wasn't for your signature...it would be very difficult for me to get through the stuff i'm going through now....it's a very difficult thing to do (pure view)....i even thought recently of asking you to be my teacher...but i know you would be very hard on me...haha...and i don't think i could stand it... :crying:

_/\_
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 am
Ultimately, yes.

At the relative level I take it to mean that all sentient beings can teach us something (like the Buddha and the Guru) that will lead us to realise the nature of reality.

That doesn't mean we should take them as our Guru, nor does it mean they are enlightened (relatively speaking).
btw...if it wasn't for your signature...it would be very difficult for me to get through the stuff i'm going through now....it's a very difficult thing to do (pure view)....i even thought recently of asking you to be my teacher...but i know you would be very hard on me...haha...and i don't think i could stand it... :crying:
OM BENDZA KILI KILAYA SARVA BIGHANEN BAM HUNG PHET

May all the obstacles to your enlightenment be crushed to dust!

I am not a teacher, nor a Guru and certainly not a Buddha! :smile:

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 pm
Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 am That's a strange interpretation of pure vision you have there and an equally weird view of the guru.
Ultimately, yes.

At the relative level I take it to mean that all sentient beings can teach us something (like the Buddha and the Guru) that will lead us to realise the nature of reality.

That doesn't mean we should take them as our Guru, nor does it mean they are enlightened (relatively speaking).
OM BENDZA KILI KILAYA SARVA BIGHANEN BAM HUNG PHET

May all the obstacles to your enlightenment be crushed to dust!

I am not a teacher, nor a Guru and certainly not a Buddha! :smile:
That's too bad because I was also hoping to have you as my teacher. As well as Malcolm. The two of you as dueling gurus would be great. Like Dueling Banjos, Buddhist style.

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

conebeckham wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:34 pm We have these "fake monks" in SF. I have interacted with them. The clue is that they try to give you some trinket and then immediately ask for money. I have wondered if they are organized, or if this sort of thing is individually driven, but I can't say. I got into a discussion with one of them about Karma, and it was immediately apparent that the individual I was talking to had very cursory knowledge of Dharma. I've also spent some time watching them from a distance. I am certain they are scammers.
A friend of mine was scammed by them recently, well, actually, a few years ago. The give-away was when he went to give him a 10 and the "monk" asked for the 20 in his wallet instead, lol.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

When I lived in China during the spring of 1992 the govt had "monks" in the various temples/monasteries to collect entrance fees and donations...they were not real monks just dudes trying to make a living doing a govt job...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Lounge”