Why do hundreds of people view postings here for new threads but only few respond?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
bcol01

Why do hundreds of people view postings here for new threads but only few respond?

Post by bcol01 »

Would be nice if more of our Buddhist brothers and sisters contributed more here to the discussions. :namaste: :twothumbsup: :woohoo:
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Why do hundreds of people view postings here for new threads but only few respond?

Post by Kim O'Hara »

bcol01 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:44 am Would be nice if more of our Buddhist brothers and sisters contributed more here to the discussions. :namaste: :twothumbsup: :woohoo:
The ratio of 'views' to 'replies' is normally about ten to one.
Don't be too negative about it. A lot of views are exploratory, and people realise they are not very interested in the topic or are interested but have nothing useful to contribute.
The ratio is higher if the thread title isn't very informative.
Think about it: if the title is "This is great!" then everyone has to look in case it's something they might like. If the title is "Eleventh century source of Kuan Yin prayers" then most of them won't need to bother. Hint: use informative titles to save wasting people's time.

:coffee:
Kim
bcol01

Re: Why do hundreds of people view postings here for new threads but only few respond?

Post by bcol01 »

Not negative, just an observation and question really. Anyone is free to provide input or not. I don't control time nor the affairs of others. No time wasted here. Even w the one comment (yours), has much to teach. :sage:
Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:10 am
bcol01 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:44 am Would be nice if more of our Buddhist brothers and sisters contributed more here to the discussions. :namaste: :twothumbsup: :woohoo:
The ratio of 'views' to 'replies' is normally about ten to one.
Don't be too negative about it. A lot of views are exploratory, and people realise they are not very interested in the topic or are interested but have nothing useful to contribute.
The ratio is higher if the thread title isn't very informative.
Think about it: if the title is "This is great!" then everyone has to look in case it's something they might like. If the title is "Eleventh century source of Kuan Yin prayers" then most of them won't need to bother. Hint: use informative titles to save wasting people's time.

:coffee:
Kim
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

A lot of people are intimidated to join, because they fear reprisal from a perceived "DharmaWheel elite" who will cruelly reprise them if they post something unfavorable. It is an issue with all fora.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

I don't mind reprise. I also couldn't care less how superior someone may think they are on here. Their responses will undoubtedly say more about them.
Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 am A lot of people are intimidated to join, because they fear reprisal from a perceived "DharmaWheel elite" who will cruelly reprise them if they post something unfavorable. It is an issue with all fora.
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

The ratio of views to replies seems pretty reasonable to me. I certainly read a lot more threads than I post in here.

I read these forums for information, and contribute when I have a question/something to add. If I contributed to everything I read I'd not only waste a lot of my time, but also add a lot of idle chatter.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Buddha gave a recommendation not to talk too much. If you check your posting on: Is it right? Useful? Compassionate? Etc..., then you can't leave a comment on everthing you read. So, the rate 10:1 is high enough.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Every time the same person visits a thread it is counted as a new view, so the majority of views could be from the people posting.
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

Aryjna wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 am Every time the same person visits a thread it is counted as a new view, so the majority of views could be from the people posting.
Indeed, the algorithm itself is probably not too clever.

And how can it be? It probably detects that the same person has already clicked on a page within the same session, but I doubt it can do more than that. It isn't even an indication that anything was actually read, let alone understood. So as a statistic it doesn't tell us much and I can't see how to use it meaningfully.

The number of replies is slightly more useful but it is also ambiguous. Two people (or even one, occasionally) can generate a lot of heat, but little light.

To return to the original question - I too try to keep my replies on topic and pertinent, while avoiding idle chatter. I often start to write a reply and then realise I just don't have anything of value to contribute, so I delete the draft. Hence a lot of apparent radio silence. And I usually avoid 'me too' replies, although I'm indulging myself in this instance, as I think it is relevant to the conversation.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

I think these stats (on the Index page) are always a good guide to activity:

In total there are 481 users online :: 27 registered, 7 hidden and 447 guests (based on users active over the past 999 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1061 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 am
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Rubbernecking?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
florin

Post by florin »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 am A lot of people are intimidated to join, because they fear reprisal from a perceived " DharmaWheel elite" who will cruelly reprise them if they post something unfavorable. It is an issue with all fora.
Maybe there should be a closely moderated facility in each subforum where only beginners are allowed and where known members of this "perceived DharmaWheel elite "are not allowed.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

because there are like 12 people :jawdrop: who actually read and respond on Dharmawheel..and yeah the rest is just them re re rechecking the thread ...

it's a small group of losers like myself who have nothing better to do...
:guns: don't shoot the messenger. :oops:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

florin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:22 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 am A lot of people are intimidated to join, because they fear reprisal from a perceived " DharmaWheel elite" who will cruelly reprise them if they post something unfavorable. It is an issue with all fora.
Maybe there should be a closely moderated facility in each subforum where only beginners are allowed and where known members of this "perceived DharmaWheel elite "are not allowed.
there is nothing elite :soapbox: about them...they just have more time on their hands :toilet:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I think "Dharmawheel Mafia" is more apt.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

ok i just made a few jokes...
but two things...this thread should be moved to somewhere...maybe suggestion box...

and secound there is no mafia or elite...

we have some really fine people who are far better than google for they are able to infer their opinion with the teachings which has proven itself very valuable for debate and pondering...especially when they are wrong about stuff like the Pure Lands... :thumbsup:
florin

Post by florin »

Minobu wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:34 pm ok i just made a few jokes...
but two things...this thread should be moved to somewhere...maybe suggestion box...

and secound there is no mafia or elite...

we have some really fine people who are far better than google for they are able to infer their opinion with the teachings which has proven itself very valuable for debate and pondering...especially when they are wrong about stuff like the Pure Lands... :thumbsup:

I think it is a question of delivery more than anything else.
About how that knowledge is delivered.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:22 pm I think "Dharmawheel Mafia" is more apt.
Bodhichitta is an offer we can’t refuse ...
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:02 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:22 pm I think "Dharmawheel Mafia" is more apt.
Bodhichitta is an offer we can’t refuse ...

I fear that I have said too much and will soon be sleeping with the nagas ...
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

bodhicitta is a dish best served warm

Return to “Lounge”