What does this Chinese(?) symbol means?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Pumo

What does this Chinese(?) symbol means?

Post by Pumo »

Hello everyone, long time since the last time I've been here.

I got a question.
I recently got a beautiful bell for my desktop, the bell itself is exactly like this one, but hanging on a dragon shaped base for desktop usa (and without the fish):

But on the other side there is a Symbol I cannot identify, it's this one:

Is this a Chinese (or Korean or Japanese?) symbol for 'Om', or what does it mean? I couln't find much info about this symbol or what it means in Buddhism.
In the box it says it's a lucky Korean bell, but there's not much more info about it.
I'm truly curious, hope you can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks beforehand! :anjali:
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1:
PeterC

Re: What does this Chinese(?) symbol means?

Post by PeterC »

It’s not Chinese or Hangul. I think it’s siddham but I don’t recognize the character
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

PeterC wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:17 am It’s not Chinese or Hangul. I think it’s siddham but I don’t recognize the character
Siddham was my first thought too but like you I don't recognize it. It might be another Sanskrit variant. (???)
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi
Tao

Post by Tao »

Sanskrit?

If you look at the image you will find that "Ca" is quite similar (without the accent up there):

https://omniglot.com/images/writing/sanskrit.gif
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Tao wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:25 am Sanskrit?

If you look at the image you will find that "Ca" is quite similar (without the accent up there):

https://omniglot.com/images/writing/sanskrit.gif
Siddham is used for writing sanskrit - same as devanagari, on your link. But the siddham "ca" doesn't really look like this. If anything it's closer to the "ba". But I'm not familiar enough with the morphology to say for sure what it is, if that's what it is.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

It's important to remember that there are various "subcategories" of Siddham...it went through a multi-century evolution. The characters carved in stone also differ slightly from those written in ink... furthermore, in some cases differences
exist between Indic Siddham and later features employed in medieval Japan under the Shingon/Tendai/Kegon etc. sects.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

I think it is trying to be ttaM, but is misspelt.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

This question is really digging its hooks in me...

I also find the style of the overall piece interesting. It does not look traditionally Japanese, Chinese, or Korean to me...it seems closer to an Indic or Himalayan feel but my knowledge of bells from that area of the world is limited...a contemporary piece? Seems not to have much wear and tear.
Tao

Post by Tao »

The chain looks contemporary to me... but no clue.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Without knowing the provenance of the object, I might suggest that the writing might just be something invented for tourists. There used to be a lot of pseudo-Tibetan and pseudo Devanagari stuff on the market in Nepal.
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

Ok, as many have suggested and by the looks of it, it indeed seems like it's based on Siddham, a very interesting and beautiful script I was not familiar with. :o
tingdzin wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:47 am Without knowing the provenance of the object, I might suggest that the writing might just be something invented for tourists. There used to be a lot of pseudo-Tibetan and pseudo Devanagari stuff on the market in Nepal.
Yeah, after some research I also think it's just a generic and fake character, lol. :tongue:
Thanks a lot everyone for your help, was very nice to know about the existence of the Siddham script. :anjali:
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1:

Return to “Lounge”