Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club

GDPR_Anonymized001

Re: Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Rev. Eijo has provided me with a few links to some material I found helpful, maybe you will as well:

Chinese, Sanskrit and English translation (Line by Line):
http://ckc.eduhk.hk:8080/jsl29/1

Access the Sanskrit and Chinese Original here:
https://upayakusala.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... _1690.html
http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gre ... kobhau.htm

He also sent through .txt files of the original Sanskrit (Latin characters) and Chinese. If you would like those, please contact me.

I've already shared links to the Kosa Study blog, but it's pretty handy too: https://abhidharmakosa.wordpress.com/
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Started posting, but this is not going to work.

We 100% need a dedicated sub-forum.

Only members of the book club should be allowed to post in the sub-form. This will lighten the load on moderators as they won't have to verify each post. It will also stop "drive by posters" too. Anybody can apply to become a member, but they have to register first and agree to the rules.

I would be happy to be admin of (just) the specific sub-forum.

I don't think it will need much in the way of moderation.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Greg - is the new thread you started on this only open to those who signed up for the book club?
GDPR_Anonymized001

PeterC wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:33 pm Greg - is the new thread you started on this only open to those who signed up for the book club?
When you mean only open, do you mean can only view? Only post? or both?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

jake wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:42 pm
PeterC wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:33 pm Greg - is the new thread you started on this only open to those who signed up for the book club?
When you mean only open, do you mean can only view? Only post? or both?
I thought the plan was to have a closed forum for this?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

No, it is open to everybody but the posts/replies need moderator approval.

I will be starting on the Dhatunirdesa section soon.

As you can see though, we basically need a new topic for each discussion and soon, when people start replying, topics will start moving up and down and the sequence will be lost.

This needs it's own sub-forum and each topic needs to be pinned so that it remains in order/sequence.

If people start posting replies in the unrelated threads and/or add new threads of their own it will be a disaster for the Book Club discussion.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

FYI, we are working on setting up a dedicated sub. Rose went to sleep, but will work on it in the morning.

I like Greg's suggestion to have membership in the sub. That will take care of limiting posts.

Standby. We will get this up soon.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Book Club is up and running. Still working the kinks out so please bear with us. If you notice any glitches, let us know!
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Where is it? I saw the introduction of the book club, but can't find it anywhere.
Shaun :namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

zerwe wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:15 am Where is it? I saw the introduction of the book club, but can't find it anywhere.
Shaun :namaste:
Starts here viewtopic.php?f=133&t=33923 and then there is b and c.

This weekend I will put up my summary and notes of the first chapter on the rupa.

GDPR_Anonymized001

I assume we can use this thread for general logistics. Greg, thank you very much for the engaging three posts and the discussions around that. I continue to visit those posts and the texts we read as I percolate.

I'm wondering, what is the next milestone? Suggestions? I find having a set timetable helps me to divide up the reading and gives me something towards which I can strive.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

jake wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:10 pm I assume we can use this thread for general logistics. Greg, thank you very much for the engaging three posts and the discussions around that. I continue to visit those posts and the texts we read as I percolate.

I'm wondering, what is the next milestone? Suggestions? I find having a set timetable helps me to divide up the reading and gives me something towards which I can strive.
I have my notes ready for the rupa section for two weeks now, but had a really busy week and spent the weekend vegetating. :smile:

Well, not exactly vegetating.

I finished the yidam accumulations I had been doing over the past 3 years. Coincided with Dakini day (last weekend). Tsok and fire puja and...

Then this week Medicine Buddha fell on the weekend...

And to cap it all off I have started a new round of ngondro accumulations in the Dudjom tersar tradition. :twothumbsup:

GDPR_Anonymized001

For those of you with the Sangpo edition perhaps someone could help me? I'll admit that I'm far from skilled in this more serious study and have been really struggling to understand the notations in Sangpo.

On page 333, in Note 49. He writes:
For the doctrinal perspective sasrava-anasrava in regard to the eighteen elements (dhatu), see i. 31cd. For a discussion of the three fluxes, see v. 35-36; for an explanation of the term asrava, see v. 40.
What on earth/where on earth is: i. 31cd or v. 35-36? or v. 40?
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

jake wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:31 pm For those of you with the Sangpo edition perhaps someone could help me? I'll admit that I'm far from skilled in this more serious study and have been really struggling to understand the notations in Sangpo.

For the doctrinal perspective sasrava-anasrava in regard to the eighteen elements (dhatu), see i. 31cd. For a discussion of the three fluxes, see v. 35-36; for an explanation of the term asrava, see v. 40.
Page 262 looks like it might correspond with the citation "31cd."
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jake wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:31 pm For those of you with the Sangpo edition perhaps someone could help me? I'll admit that I'm far from skilled in this more serious study and have been really struggling to understand the notations in Sangpo.

1.31 = chapter one, verse 31, lines 3 and 4; v.35-36 means chapter five (in volume three), verses 35-36. etc.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:36 pm

1.31 = chapter one, verse 31, lines 3 and 4; v.35-36 means chapter five (in volume three), verses 35-36. etc.
Those pesky Roman numerals? Is v the "five" or the first letter in "verse?"
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
GDPR_Anonymized001

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:36 pm

Thank you very much, you've made my day.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Will finish uploading the last of my notes tomorrow.

Lessons learned:

We need to keep each section short. Gives us enough time to read and upload notes PLUS it gives us more of an opportunity to discuss in depth.

The discussion was split among too many topics and I could not keep up. I still have things to add to earlier discussions, but don't have the time as I have to upload notes and read/respond to the newer discussions too.

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Yep. We have no schedule so let's take it as slow as we need. There will probably be sections that don't need to much discuy and some will need a lot.

Awesome job so far, Greg.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Queequeg wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:57 am Yep. We have no schedule so let's take it as slow as we need.
Ditto
Queequeg wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:57 am Awesome job so far, Greg.
Yes, seconded. Thank you for taking the lead.

Return to “Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club”