Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club

Malcolm

Re: Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:57 am Yep. We have no schedule so let's take it as slow as we need. There will probably be sections that don't need to much discuy and some will need a lot.

Awesome job so far, Greg.
It would be wise to avoid some of the debates, and aim principally at grasping the Sarvastivada view, and Sautrantika critique.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:38 pm
Queequeg wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:57 am Yep. We have no schedule so let's take it as slow as we need. There will probably be sections that don't need to much discuy and some will need a lot.

It would be wise to avoid some of the debates, and aim principally at grasping the Sarvastivada view, and Sautrantika critique.
I think that's where we'll lean on you to put up the guardrails and keep the discussion on track.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:16 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:38 pm

I think that's where we'll lean on you to put up the guardrails and keep the discussion on track.
One thing that is a little confusing for some, is that Vasubandhu seems to let the Sarvastivadins win some of the time, though not often.

I personally think Vasubandhu was always a Mahāyāni.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Okay kiddies.

That is it for me.

Rupa is "finished".

I reckon we let discussion run for another week and then...

Next is Samskara.

Who is up to it?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:24 pm Okay kiddies.

That is it for me.

Rupa is "finished".

I reckon we let discussion run for another week and then...

Next is Samskara.

Who is up to it?
Just to be sure we're talking the same things, can you suggest using page numbers? I've got a crunch at work for the next few weeks but can sign up to be third if someone else will take the lead now.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aggregate of formations ( samskaraskandha) p230 and 231 of the GELONG LODRO SANGPO version.

Yes, that is right, it is only two pages.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Do we have a volunteer to play point for the next few sections?

(i.10-19)?

I don't know about you, but I'm finding this group reading helpful. Thanks to Greg for the work.

Standby, Greg, we might need to press you back into service soon.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Bump for attention -

I hope we haven't given up on this already...

Any volunteers?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:51 pm Bump for attention -

I hope we haven't given up on this already...

Any volunteers?
Is this pp 64-77 of poussin/pruden?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Yes. That would be a good manageable chunk, I think. Are you up for it? :smile:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:55 pm Aggregate of formations ( samskaraskandha) p230 and 231 of the GELONG LODRO SANGPO version.

Yes, that is right, it is only two pages.
It is described in much more detail in chapter two.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:19 pm Yes. That would be a good manageable chunk, I think. Are you up for it? :smile:
Ok I’m in. Will take a few days to get notes organized
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Awesome!
Thank you!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I think I’ve completed the section I would do, but I’d be happy to continue for a bit longer, provided my notes aren’t putting people to sleep. Thoughts?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Anyone? Bueller?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:48 am Anyone? Bueller?
Yes, continue please.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

PeterC wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 pm I think I’ve completed the section I would do, but I’d be happy to continue for a bit longer, provided my notes aren’t putting people to sleep. Thoughts?
I was on holidays and after returning have been flat out at work plus all the feast day practices, so I really haven't had the chance yet to read anything.

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:33 am
PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:48 am Anyone? Bueller?
Yes, continue please.
Thanks Malcolm. I'll continue up to 26 for now.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

My apologies for disappearing but have wrapped up work things and ready to continue. I hope others are as well.

How is the format working for everyone?
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

The copy I had ordered of the Ornament of Abhidharma arrived today. Unfortunately, I only came to know afterwards that Jampaiyang's commentary is especially difficult.

I'm certainly getting into something that is way beyond my level, but hopefully the users' notes and verse discussions in here will help me grasp the text in an acceptable and meaningful way.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.

Return to “Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club”