Advice for a person who is dying

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
Yklah

Advice for a person who is dying

Post by Yklah »

Along with this message two videos from the FPMT are attached. In the first video, Lama Zopa Rinpoche recites powerful mantras with inconceibable benefits: for example, the Namgyalma Mantra, the Mantra from the Sutra of Great Liberation or Buddha Maitreya Mantra, which once heard, you never ever get born in lower realms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIVjkVDyVE

As Namgyalma Mantra has so benefits, I attach a video with only the Namgyalma Mantra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7mDVdUbPLg

Hope it is beneficial,

Yklah
Knotty Veneer

Re: Advice for a person who is dying

Post by Knotty Veneer »

I've just been through the death of both parents and my wife in the last 9 months.

I've read many books on death and dying from different Buddhist traditions. By far the best was Advice for future corpses and those that love them by Sallie Tisdale:

https://www.amazon.com/Advice-Future-Co ... 583&sr=8-2

Definitely worth a read.
Everyone suffers. Be kind.
frankie

Post by frankie »

Yklah wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:42 pm Along with this message two videos from the FPMT are attached. In the first video, Lama Zopa Rinpoche recites powerful mantras with inconceibable benefits: for example, the Namgyalma Mantra, the Mantra from the Sutra of Great Liberation or Buddha Maitreya Mantra, which once heard, you never ever get born in lower realms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIVjkVDyVE

As Namgyalma Mantra has so benefits, I attach a video with only the Namgyalma Mantra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7mDVdUbPLg

Hope it is beneficial,

Yklah

I sincerely hope this would only be used for somebody who's very familiar with Lama Zopa and the FPMT...otherwise, this is more likely to freak the poor departing soul out, and cause more discursiveness than could possibly be helpful.
Hazel
Global Moderator

Post by Hazel »

I moved the topic to the Dying and Death subforum.

No problem, it's easy to miss.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
ConfusedOne

Post by ConfusedOne »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:52 pm I've just been through the death of both parents and my wife in the last 9 months.

I've read many books on death and dying from different Buddhist traditions. By far the best was Advice for future corpses and those that love them by Sallie Tisdale:

Definitely worth a read.
Wow..... My condolences; I can't even fathom how you must be feeling. I wish you the very best :buddha1:

How are you coping with such pain? Is there any advice you would give for someone who might be going through something similar?
Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:52 pm I've just been through the death of both parents and my wife in the last 9 months.

Definitely worth a read.
My sympathies. I have also endured many deaths that came over a few years, brother, brother in law, mother and father,. When I was a kid two brothers died a few years apart, not to forget uncles, aunties, grandparents and friends who also died. It's definitely a reason I became interested in dharma. And dharma definitely helps.
Last edited by Crazywisdom on Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yklah

Post by Yklah »

Definitely worth a read.
My condolences as well, i hope everything is going better emotionally right now ; thanks for advising the book, thank you.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

ConfusedOne wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:39 am Is there any advice you would give for someone who might be going through something similar?
Not really, bereavement is something I'm sure that is different for everybody. But I think it's important to remember that grief=love and it's something that you don't really get over, you have to make space in your life for it.

I'm lucky that I know how much my parents and my wife loved me and they knew how much I loved them. That is a consolation.

All relationships are impermanent. Cherish the ones you love and let them know every day how much you love them. Never forget you will lose everyone you love in the end.
Everyone suffers. Be kind.
ConfusedOne

Post by ConfusedOne »

You know I've read for many people this kind of pain last for years. From the many reddit posts I've read, many people are only able to gain a bit of relief at around the 5th year mark, and to me that is horrifying.

But that only proves that the Buddha Is correct. Once again, thank you for sharing, and I wish you the very best on your journey :anjali:

Return to “Dying and Death”