Thoughts on this

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
Germanhalo

Thoughts on this

Post by Germanhalo »

Hi everyone. It might seem odd to post on here without any post history but I used to be heavily into buddhism back in around 2012ish and I used to have an account on here back then and post s little, but I can't remember any of that. I can say that it actually saved my life (although temporarily) from depression by learning to accept my thoughts and feelings and let them go. To meditate and understand what's going on in my head. Since I stopped practicing, things have been hectic. To be honest, what really caused me to stop is not having a buddhist meditation center where I can practice with others and learn more about the ideology. I tried practicing on my own but I know I wasn't strong enough to continue on.

Why I'm posting here is to get some guidance and help me get on the right track again, and it involves death in a way but I'm hoping it won't be taboo or against the rules which I looked into and don't think it is.

So I limit myself from what I see on social media and general media to prevent unnecessary depression or bad things filtering into my head. But lately people will post something on a secretive manner, usually some kind of abuse, typically with animals, and I'll unknowingly watch it and it scars me.

Seeing it will cause me to become hateful and depressed, sad, disgusted and I feel that I don't want to be living in this world where such sadism either towards people or animals happen for literally NO reason other than for sadistic enjoyment. I know that every day tons something terrible things happen without my knowledge, but to see it, especially to animals I love, makes me want to stop living.

No, I'm not going to kill myself now or soon. My dog that I adopted a few years ago literally saved me from doing that and I'd NEVER abandon him until the day he passes. But seeing things like I did on the internet, or even knowing the terrible life my dog had before coming into my home, it makes me not want to continue being on this planet. I feel humans don't deserve to be here and don't deserve to given an awesome opportunity to thrive on this world.

I know people might say, just take a break from all social media and take a break from the internet and I might but that might be a little hard to be honest. I'm just wanting some insight Ave guidance from people who have helped me before.
Budai

Re: Thoughts on this

Post by Budai »

People have explained that death is a part of life. But those who pass into Mahaparinirvana do not die. For example, in the Scriptures we do not say that the Buddha died. So perhaps, if you strengthen your Refuge in the Three Jewels and pursue a life of Buddhism, you will live a life by which you save yourself from death, as well as others, many close to you, by giving thrm the gift of the Dharma.

This world is a sad place, and some have said that sadness is actually quite a Spiritual, understanding reaction to it. Yet, I advise you to also consider your Inner Wealth, and to again strengthen yourself with the Dharma. If you want to help solve the problems humanity and the world is facing today, the best thing to do is to do what Gautama advised, follow the Buddhist Teachings, and the Noble Eightfold Path towards Enlightenment. If you find a Way to help the Spiritually starved people of this world by your Advancement in Buddhism, you will feel much stronger, and you must understand that you already have that strength, it is ingrained in your Buddha-Nature, a Nature that you have and One you can help anyone access with your Compassion.

Basically, actively Engaging in Buddhism in a Bodhisattvic Way will help you he happy and find your meaning in life, because this is the Path Buddha delineated for us, like a skilled physician, for the ailments of mankind. Namaste.
Last edited by Budai on Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

You won’t be on this planet forever, and nobody can solve all the problems of the world. So, do whatever positive thing you can do, even if it’s just a tiny thing, each day,

The Buddha taught that existence is unsatisfactory (“Dukkha” which is usually translated as “suffering”) so congratulations, you have just recognized the First of the Four Noble Truths! Keep in mind, he also taught three more. Studying those should help.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Germanhalo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:24 am I know people might say, just take a break from all social media and take a break from the internet and I might but that might be a little hard to be honest. I'm just wanting some insight Ave guidance from people who have helped me before.
You want some insight and guidance from others, and at the same time, you want to remain selective by ruling out taking a break from social media. Maybe if you contemplate deeper, you would ask yourself why you are watching videos of animal cruelty to begin with? or why when you became aware of the content of the videos you did not stop?

When the Buddha taught us subjects to contemplating, along with the contemplation of death, he advised us to take ownership of our actions:
"There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

"'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.' This is the first fact that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

"'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...

"'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.' ...

"'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.' ...

"'I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.' ...

"These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.
You can spend your time watching videos of low content and complain how sadistic the world is, or you can spend your time doing things that are more beneficial to your own well-being and that of others. Either way, the fifth contemplation still applies to you.
The cleverest defenders of faith are its greatest enemies: for their subtleties engender doubt and stimulate the mind. -- Will Durant
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Jim Jarmusch wrote:The world is a sad and a beautiful place.
Quote from the movie 'Night on Earth'.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Germanhalo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:24 am I know people might say, just take a break from all social media and take a break from the internet and I might but that might be a little hard to be honest. I'm just wanting some insight Ave guidance from people who have helped me before.
Guy says to the doctor, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." Doctor says, "Well don't do that."

Quitting cigarettes is hard. Quitting crack is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Quitting a bad relationship is hard. But sometimes, there is no way around it.

Understand that your compulsive use of social media is an addiction that hurts you for a host of reasons - least of which is your exposure to media that disturbs you. Once you understand it as an addiction, you can treat it.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

In my experience, and borne out a bit by research into Facebook, etc.:

There is a kind of addiction to viewing things that make us angry and upset. There are YouTube people and podcasters who make entire careers taking apart stuff on the internet that upsets them.

From a Buddhist perspective it’s 90% unhelpful I think.

The standard advice here would be to notice your state of mind when you’re triggered to look at these things, then use either mindfulness or distraction to do something else.

There are also various pieces of software you can use, site blockers and what.

Learn to set your own boundaries around social media, and be firm.

Edit: just noticed QQ pretty much already covered it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

If you want a specific technique look up ‘urge surfing’.

I looked up a good document, here:
https://ubwp.buffalo.edu/ccny/wp-conten ... NG-1-1.pdf

So this is geared towards professionals working with people in recovery from drug addiction, but it is the exact same process for any addictive behavior.

-Khunu Lama
Germanhalo

Post by Germanhalo »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:25 pm In my experience, and borne out a bit by research into Facebook, etc.:

There is a kind of addiction to viewing things that make us angry and upset. There are YouTube people and podcasters who make entire careers taking apart stuff on the internet that upsets them.

The standard advice here would be to notice your state of mind when you’re triggered to look at these things, then use either mindfulness or distraction to do something else.

Yeah. I mean I don't actively search for them of course so there's no way to block them manually since they're on a platform where that content is illegal and hasn't been banned yet. It's those random videos you see on YouTube.

I've gone on 4chan before briefly only to leave quickly because there could be f'd up stuff on there. But there is this urge to see something that's messed up, but I can control that knowing I don't want to be a part of it.
Germanhalo

Post by Germanhalo »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:57 pm
Guy says to the doctor, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." Doctor says, "Well don't do that."

Quitting cigarettes is hard. Quitting crack is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Quitting a bad relationship is hard. But sometimes, there is no way around it.

Understand that your compulsive use of social media is an addiction that hurts you for a host of reasons - least of which is your exposure to media that disturbs you. Once you understand it as an addiction, you can treat it.
I totally get that it's an addiction and trust me, I can give 1 million dumb excuses why I use it, mainly boredom or to fill something within me. But I know I need to limit it. It's just hard.
Germanhalo

Post by Germanhalo »

Bundokji wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:53 am
You want some insight and guidance from others, and at the same time, you want to remain selective by ruling out taking a break from social media. Maybe if you contemplate deeper, you would ask yourself why you are watching videos of animal cruelty to begin with? or why when you became aware of the content of the videos you did not stop?

When the Buddha taught us subjects to contemplating, along with the contemplation of death, he advised us to take ownership of our actions:
"There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

"'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.' This is the first fact that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

"'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...

"'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.' ...

"'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.' ...

"'I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.' ...

"These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.
You can spend your time watching videos of low content and complain how sadistic the world is, or you can spend your time doing things that are more beneficial to your own well-being and that of others. Either way, the fifth contemplation still applies to you.
I know I'm the cause of my own suffering if I don't do anything about it. I guess I'm just weak and have too many ridiculous excuses why it's hard to stop using social media. For the most part it's fine. I limit what I watch and/or follow and if someone upsets me or there's a topic that upsets me it's easy for me to ignore that and distance myself from it.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Germanhalo wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:27 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:25 pm In my experience, and borne out a bit by research into Facebook, etc.:

Yeah. I mean I don't actively search for them of course so there's no way to block them manually since they're on a platform where that content is illegal and hasn't been banned yet. It's those random videos you see on YouTube.

I've gone on 4chan before briefly only to leave quickly because there could be f'd up stuff on there. But there is this urge to see something that's messed up, but I can control that knowing I don't want to be a part of it.
The answer to this could be as simple as finding something better to do with your time.

-Khunu Lama
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Germanhalo wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:34 am I know I'm the cause of my own suffering if I don't do anything about it. I guess I'm just weak and have too many ridiculous excuses why it's hard to stop using social media. For the most part it's fine. I limit what I watch and/or follow and if someone upsets me or there's a topic that upsets me it's easy for me to ignore that and distance myself from it.
Finding a wholesome purpose can have a unifying effect. It helps you define what is essential and what is not essential to you. Knowing what you really want makes letting go of what you do not want natural and with minimal effort. Purpose does not have to be spiritual, but something that has meaning to you.

On the other hand, lack of purpose causes people to seek immediate gratifications. It is so common, habituated and normalized. You can always choose to be different, or at least try. Complaining about the world is something the majority of people engage in, nothing so special about it.

Good luck in whatever you try to do :heart:
The cleverest defenders of faith are its greatest enemies: for their subtleties engender doubt and stimulate the mind. -- Will Durant
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Germanhalo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:24 am I feel humans don't deserve to be here and don't deserve to given an awesome opportunity to thrive on this world.
Well... some people are good. Just very wholesome and good. Try to find the good ones and learn from them. It's a good practice to dissociate ourselves from the negative influences in our lives and find more wholesome ones to take their place.

Maybe getting involved in some social activity or hanging out with some friends would help with being on the computer too much.

Return to “Dying and Death”