Mind at work?

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
PadmaVonSamba

Mind at work?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I wonder about how the mind interacts with the composites of the body.

The composites are referred to as elements, but as these days the term ‘elements’ usually refers to the periodic table, I think that there is probably a better word with which to refer to fire(heat), water (fluids) wind (circulation) earth (solidity) and space, collectively.

In any case, the question occurred to me, “what principle or capacity makes it possible for the mind to interact and exert some control over the body?”

If I decide to lift my arm, I can make my arm go up. Yet, I can’t make your arm go up just my wanting it to. Even if my hand is making contact with you in some capacity (I’m not talking about using force. Let’s suppose I place my hand on your head, or on your chest where the heart is located, for example) I still can’t ‘will’ any of your body parts to move (sorry, Reiki people!)

And, although I can’t do too much mentally to make my inner body do certain things, I do recall as a child, sometimes when I’d get a cut (which wasn’t all that rare as I played with sharp objects) being able to “think” the cut not to bleed. If you wonder if that was simply a matter of the cut stopping (clotting) on its own, no, because, if I stopped concentrating on it, the blood would begin to flow from the cut again. There may be an ordinary physiological reason for this to occur, but at least it seemed cool at the time.

At the time of death, the mind (or some subtle level of awareness) ends its partnership with the body.

I have to assume that this is due to the body ceasing to function, rather than being caused by some action of the mind (otherwise one could simply tell oneself to die, and then die).

It’s like when you have an old car that finally stops running. When you were able to drive it, you and the car functioned as one (assuming that it responded quickly to your steering, accelerating, and braking). But when the car is ‘dead’ trying to drive it doesn’t work.

I’m curious to know if there are any teachings specifically with regard to just how the mind (with help from the brain) animates the body.
Last edited by PadmaVonSamba on Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Budai

Re: Mind at work?

Post by Budai »

:jedi:
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Good question.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:18 pm
Good question.
Indeed, and it has very long history.

:coffee:
Kim
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Seems buddhism has managed without science in regards to this. Could looking for a scientific answer be a bit futile in comparison

Return to “Dying and Death”