Dissolution of the elements

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
PadmaVonSamba

Dissolution of the elements

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Earth, water, fire, and air are terms used to describe the dissolution of the body towards the time of death.
I’m curious about whether the “fire” element is even regarded as part of the composition of cold-blooded animals such as reptiles, fish, and amphibians.
Any thoughts on this?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
FiveSkandhas

Re: Dissolution of the elements

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Well, according to this character, if you scroll past the Hinduism to the Buddhism section...:

https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/mahabhuta
. Fire element (teja-dhātu)
Internal- fire elements include those bodily mechanisms that produce physical warmth, ageing, digestion, etc.
Presumably even if they don't "produce physical warmth," the creatures in question experience ageing and digestion...and then there is the ever-enigmatic "etc" category.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:15 am Earth, water, fire, and air are terms used to describe the dissolution of the body towards the time of death.
I’m curious about whether the “fire” element is even regarded as part of the composition of cold-blooded animals such as reptiles, fish, and amphibians.
Any thoughts on this?
Metabolism.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Thanks. That’s kind of what I was wondering, the extent of functions suggested by “fire” element.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Dying and Death”