Ghodika is allowed to suicide, can mental illness patient too?

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
empting

Ghodika is allowed to suicide, can mental illness patient too?

Post by empting »

Does mental illness patient suffer mentally allowed to suicide like what Godhika is allowed by Buddha?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Ghodika is allowed to suicide, can mental illness patient too?

Post by Grigoris »

Godhika was an Arahat, are you an Arhat?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

Suicide is a bad idea and should be avoided.
empting

Post by empting »

WesleyP wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm Suicide is a bad idea and should be avoided.
Godhika suffers from health problems resulting unbearable circumstances to him and so he suicide and Buddha allows it

People like me suffer from extreme mental illness and feels unbearable too, can I suicide?
Gabriel the Toad

Post by Gabriel the Toad »

No. You can't.

Forget what the buddha did or did not allow, that's just more stories.

Has your meditation made you ill, or were you ill to begin with?
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

empting wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:26 pm
WesleyP wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm Suicide is a bad idea and should be avoided.
Godhika suffers from health problems resulting unbearable circumstances to him and so he suicide and Buddha allows it

People like me suffer from extreme mental illness and feels unbearable too, can I suicide?
It is terrible to go through suffering that seems to last forever, but suicide is not a solution according to buddhism. It does not help, because after killing the body your mindstream continues, but the suffering of the suicide is piled on top of the previous suffering.

The only thing I can think of is to first get medical help (if you are not already getting it) and then perhaps check relevant support groups.

If you want a more definitive buddhist answer, you can (probably quite easily) find teachers from a tradition you like online and ask them. For example, if you are more interested in Tibetan Buddhism, there are many good teachers with online platforms which you could email and have your question forwarded.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

empting wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:26 pmGodhika suffers from health problems resulting unbearable circumstances to him and so he suicide and Buddha allows it

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Guide to Buddhism A2Z :

"According to Buddhist ethics, suicide is a negative action similar to murder. Whereas murder follows from destructive emotions and intentions directed towards another, suicide involves the same or similar negative states directed towards oneself. Of course someone contemplating suicide does not need being told that what they are thinking of doing is wrong, they need emotional support and counselling. When a desperately ill monk talked of killing himself Sàriputta counselled him with these words: `Do not kill yourself Channa. Live. I want you to live. If you do not have suitable food or medicine I will get it for you. If you do not have suitable care I will care for you. Do not kill yourself. Live. I want you to live'(M.III,264).

It is an offence entailing expulsion from the Saïgha for a monk or nun to encourage someone to commit suicide or to assist them in doing so (Vin.III,71). Suicide is virtually unknown in Bhutan, while Sri Lanka has had for many years an unusually high suicide rate.

`Buddhism and Suicide', Damien Keown, Journal of Buddhist Ethics, Vol 3, 1996"
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:38 pm
empting wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:26 pmGodhika suffers from health problems resulting unbearable circumstances to him and so he suicide and Buddha allows it

I don't think he was an arahant when he decided to commit suicide though. I think he was what's called a jivitasamasisi, one who attains the destruction of defilements and the end of life simultaneously. Just for clarity.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Seeker12 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:38 pm

I don't think he was an arahant when he decided to commit suicide though. I think he was what's called a jivitasamasisi, one who attains the destruction of defilements and the end of life simultaneously. Just for clarity.
Does he (Ghodika) perform it in the normal physical or gross way? Vasubandhu discusses the topic in the Abhidharmakosha-bhashya, he says that an enlightened being he can decide to give up his remaining lifespan, mentally or in the state of dhyana. This is a kind of non-violent suicide. It is a mental deed that causes the ending of a life-span.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I suppose, such beings can't really suffer anymore, because they realized how to manage the fourth noble truth.
And they can determine where they are going to after death. Thus this phenomenon cannot be called suicide IMO.

I'd love to lock this quite unbearable topic.

Return to “Dying and Death”