Waiting time to cremate after passing away?

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
uncrase

Waiting time to cremate after passing away?

Post by uncrase »

My dad passed away and one of the wishes he has conveyed to my mom was related to that he did not want his body
to be disturbed and/or cremated for a specific amount of time after death. We think it was one week.

She does not recall the details and what exactly it was based on, but it came from his filosophical / meditative / spiritual
nature - not extreme, just loosly something he was into.

This came up for example when he was considering donating his body to sciece, from which he backed out because it would mean his
body would need to be opened and disturbed already a few days after passing away.

Does anyone have any clues what religious or spiritual stream this relates to, or it may have been come from?
We're not sure how much of this was his own making, and/or religious "rule" or thought it was based on?

Any input would be very much appreciated
Fortyeightvows

Re: Waiting time to cremate after passing away?

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Sorry for your loss friend.

I would think that after the 49 days you could be sure to have waited long enough.
But please don’t take my words too seriously
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes, it is said, there are phases of 7 days to find a new incarnation. 49 days (7x7) is the longest possible time until it is found.
But this process is not the same as the dying process where the person should not be disturbed.

I answer, because I assume you are im a hurry, uncrase. I attended a lecture about the phases of dying long time ago - but finding my notes takes time.
I remember vaguely that at least four days (better one week) is recommended to let the person rest.

I'm going to dig through my papers tonight.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

In my own notes and books I couldn't find any statement about the exact time.

But with a pointed search on internet I found this:
A Buddhist funeral may be held at a funeral home, a monastery, or a family home. Traditionally, the funeral service will occur on the 3rd, 7th, 49th, or 100th day after the death.

Buddhists believe that a waiting period between the time of death and cremation or burial is necessary, as it takes time for a soul to transition after death. The length of time depends upon the Buddhist tradition. For example, Zen and Pure Land Buddhists believe that the transition takes up to 100 days.
https://www.joincake.com/blog/buddhist- ... to-expect/
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Traditionally, the funeral service will occur on the 3rd, 7th, 49th, or 100th day after the death.
Also common is a service every 7 days- 7x7
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

uncrase wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:15 am My dad passed away and one of the wishes he has conveyed to my mom was related to that he did not want his body
to be disturbed and/or cremated for a specific amount of time after death. We think it was one week.

She does not recall the details and what exactly it was based on, but it came from his filosophical / meditative / spiritual

This came up for example when he was considering donating his body to sciece, from which he backed out because it would mean his
body would need to be opened and disturbed already a few days after passing away.

Does anyone have any clues what religious or spiritual stream this relates to, or it may have been come from?
We're not sure how much of this was his own making, and/or religious "rule" or thought it was based on?

Buddhist belief is that dying process is not ended after breathing ceased.
For the mindstream to pass unhampered the Body should not be severed in that period.
You can either go with the aforementioned number of days
or you wait until livor mortis appear, the Skin loses flexibility and the Solarplexus radiates no more heat.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Lama Zopa recommends waiting at least 3 days and preferably until you see signs that the mind has left the body.
See chapter 25 of https://fpmt.org/wp-content/uploads/dea ... ebirth.pdf

Briefly, the signs the mind has left body are:
  • no longer warm at the heart
  • white and red drops leave the body
  • the body smells
  • the flesh does not respond
  • the head moves
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

uncrase wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:15 am My dad passed away and one of the wishes he has conveyed to my mom was related to that he did not want his body

Three days.

Return to “Dying and Death”