i'm scared about death

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
OnionA

i'm scared about death

Post by OnionA »

I was a Christian escape to Buddhism to find comfort, from harmful ideas like hell, condemnation, guilt, I practiced Zen Buddhism just sitting, I felt good, until I read part of the Pali Canon, in which I mentioned hell, I was horrified I wanted to leave Buddhism, but I trust that they are only metaphors, does hell really exist? or something similar? There are no punishments in life or in Buddhism? Will we all be saved in the end?

What happens after death is the same for everyone?

If hell is real only people like Hitler go? Is it a place of constant torture? Will any Bodhishiva save us as the text mentioned? They are fast?

If I don't kill anyone? I am safe, And if I kill just by thinking, sometimes I hate people! I mean not in reality, only fiction,

I think that some hatred is healthy, in short my friend committed suicide, her is not very good person, but it was not bad enough to be shocked, on top of committing suicide, is she safe? what awaits her?

First of all she was human, did Buddha mention hell? I do not think that a being all love has mentioned it, will we all be saved? what to do? How to know if I am in heaven or hell? Even if I made mistakes? Can those errors be repaired or am I going to direct hell? in the end they are just fictions right? no hell!? Thanks I wait for your answer? Greetings, Super nice if you reply. :bow: poor english sorry
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: I'm scared about death

Post by Wayfarer »

Yes, hell exists in Buddhism . Beings are not sent there by a vengeful God but fall into lesser states including hell because of the three poisons - lust, greed and ignorance.

You might perhaps consider looking into Pure Land teachings, namely, the recitation of Amitabha's name, and faith in Amida Buddha. This doesn't require any special talent but faith in the teaching and the Vow of Amida Buddha, which is that beings who have faith in His name will not fall into lower states but will be reborn in Sukhavati.

http://www.hongwanji.or.jp/english/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religion ... nd_1.shtml

:namaste:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: i'm scared about death

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Nope.
Will we all be saved in the end?
Funny you should ask, but yes.

This life, the world we are living in right now, is the afterlife. We are currently experiencing the consequences of the actions we took in previous lives—both positive and negative.

So look around you. There are large hells and small all over the globe. Ever known someone that went to prison? Sometimes a hell can look like a middle class home on the outside. If you read the history of the 20th century some major hells sprang up in Europe and Asia. There are some heavenly spots too, but a lot less of them and they don’t accommodate many inhabitants. Plus they’re frivolous.

So if you are in a situation that isn’t hell or heaven, but allows you to practice Dharma, rejoice! You will be guided away from those horrific scenarios and frivolity towards something meaningful and fundamentally rewarding. Don’t let your PCSD (Post Christian Stress Disorder) become an obstacle for you.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

One thing I know is that if you plant good causes, you get good conditions. If you plant a tomato seed, you get a tomato. For example, if you desire to be reborn in Sukhavati, Amitabha Buddha's Pure Land, then you want to plant causes for rebirth in that land. (Sukhavati is a realm in which once you are born there you don't regress and only progress on the way to enlightenment) Tulku Thondup writes, "In order to take rebirth in any pure land, you must prepare yourself seriously. This includes purifying negative karmas and perfecting meritorious deeds with the formula of the four causes." The four causes of rebirth in the Pure Land are visualizing the pure land, accumulating merit, developing bodhicitta, and dedication of your merit toward rebirth in Sukhavati. Tulku Thondup says "the extraordinary thing is that people like you and me- in fact, all mother beings- can be reborn there. And once there, we will never regress but will always progress in spiritual growth, so that one day we will realize the pure land of the enjoyment body of Buddhahood. To take birth in this manifested pure land, we must train in the four causes."
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Hell is no more real than
the world you are experiencing now.
How real is that?
That’s up to you.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

OnionA wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 pm I was a Christian escape to Buddhism to find comfort, from harmful ideas like hell, condemnation, guilt, I practiced Zen Buddhism just sitting, I felt good, until I read part of the Pali Canon, in which I mentioned hell, I was horrified I wanted to leave Buddhism, but I trust that they are only metaphors, does hell really exist? or something similar? There are no punishments in life or in Buddhism? Will we all be saved in the end?

If hell is real only people like Hitler go? Is it a place of constant torture? Will any Bodhishiva save us as the text mentioned? They are fast?

If I don't kill anyone? I am safe, And if I kill just by thinking, sometimes I hate people! I mean not in reality, only fiction,

I think that some hatred is healthy, in short my friend committed suicide, her is not very good person, but it was not bad enough to be shocked, on top of committing suicide, is she safe? what awaits her?

First of all she was human, did Buddha mention hell? I do not think that a being all love has mentioned it, will we all be saved? what to do? How to know if I am in heaven or hell? Even if I made mistakes? Can those errors be repaired or am I going to direct hell? in the end they are just fictions right? no hell!? Thanks I wait for your answer? Greetings, Super nice if you reply. :bow: poor english sorry
Let that fear sink and absorbed into your Zen mind.
It’s eye blinking.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: I'm scared about death

Post by Ayu »

Wayfarer wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:11 am Yes, hell exists in Buddhism . Beings are not sent there by a vengeful God but fall into lesser states including hell because of the three poisons - lust, greed and ignorance.
You named only two poisons here AFAI understand - lust and greed are in the same boat - and you left out the main reason that possibly leads to hell: hate.
OnionA wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 pm ...

In my view you are overly concerned and excited about the news that there is hell taught in Buddhism. It is not the idea to threat with punishment to people who are afraid already. It's simply to show the urge of Dharma practice NOW not later.

If this thread is no help for you and you still suffer from anxiety, I urge you to seek conversation face to face with a friend, a Buddhist teacher or any professional helper. Maybe you need to talk about your loss rather than about Buddhist theories.
:namaste:
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Thank you I wrote in haste, and stand corrected. :emb:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

First of all, as to the question of where exactly hell and the Buddha exist, one sutra states that hell exists underground, and another sutra says that the Buddha is in the west. Closer examination, however, reveals that both exist in our five-foot body. This must be true because hell is in the heart of a person who inwardly despises his father and disregards his mother. It is like the lotus seed, which contains both blossom and fruit. In the same way, the Buddha dwells within our hearts. For example, flint has the potential to produce fire, and gems have intrinsic value. We ordinary people can see neither our own eyelashes, which are so close, nor the heavens in the distance. Likewise, we do not see that the Buddha exists in our own hearts. You may question how it is that the Buddha can reside within us when our bodies, originating from our parents’ sperm and blood, are the source of the three poisons and the seat of carnal desires. But repeated consideration assures us of the truth of this matter. The pure lotus flower blooms out of the muddy pond, the fragrant sandalwood grows from the soil, the graceful cherry blossoms come forth from trees, the beautiful Yang Kuei-fei was born of a woman of low station, and the moon rises from behind the mountains to shed light on them. Misfortune comes from one’s mouth and ruins one, but fortune comes from one’s heart and makes one worthy of respect.
-Nichiren

There's a saying, if you want to know your past actions, look at yourself in the present, and if you want to know your future look at your present actions. This moment is always an opportunity to advance toward Buddhahood.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
shankara

Post by shankara »

There's a story that Buddha in one of his long ago past lives was born in hell. He had to push a cart up a burning mountain together with another person also born in the same hell realm. The demons would beat him, but he couldn't die, every time he woke up again to the same situation, pushing the cart up the hill and being beaten, again and again.

Then one day he developed a feeling of compassion towards the person who had to push the cart up the hill with him. He said to the demons "let me push the cart alone, and let him rest". The demons grew angry at this and beat him terribly until finally, as always, he fainted away. But this time, he didn't wake up again in the hell realm, and was reborn elsewhere.

So what does this story mean? Cultivate Bodhicitta and nothing can harm you.

Anyway, for a Buddhist I don't think the primary thing would be to avoid being born in a hell realm. It isn't like the Abrahamic thing where it is eternal, everything is impermanent. So don't panic. The most important thing though is to attain a rebirth where we can continue to practise Dharma in some way, this is better even if it involves great suffering than to go to some happy Deva realm but not find the Dharma there. So what we have to do is practise and continue to practise, not beating ourselves up about things and hating ourselves for our faults, but always struggling on and being consistent in our practise of Dharma.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I think it’s very fashionable to believe that Buddhism doesn’t say there are literal hell realms, but it really does. In traditional Buddhism - the kind that existed before the Internet - there were vivid descriptions of numerous hell realms, some depicted in ghastly detail. It certainly not depicted as being something that is all in the mind or simply a metaphor for negative states of mind.

I have recently been attending a Japanese Pureland service, although it’s now suspended due to COVID-19, but I did notice in correspondence with the Venerable on one occasion that the Nembutsu is recited and faith is cultivated in order not to be reborn in hell. There was not the least suggestion that this was metaphorical or symbolic.

Sam Bercholz, who is the founder of Shambhala Books and a notable voice in Western Buddhism, had a near death experience after undergoing heart surgery, during which he had a vision of hell. He documented in a book, A Guided Tour of Hell.
Sam’s encounters with a series of hell-beings trapped in repetitious rounds of misery and delusion reveal to him how an individual’s own habits of fiery hatred and icy disdain, of grasping desire and nihilistic ennui, are the source of horrific agonies that pound consciousness for seemingly endless cycles of time.
empting

Post by empting »

OnionA wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 pm I was a Christian escape to Buddhism to find comfort, from harmful ideas like hell, condemnation, guilt, I practiced Zen Buddhism just sitting, I felt good, until I read part of the Pali Canon, in which I mentioned hell, I was horrified I wanted to leave Buddhism, but I trust that they are only metaphors, does hell really exist? or something similar? There are no punishments in life or in Buddhism? Will we all be saved in the end?

i believe you have trauma in the past where you are near death, that is the only explanation why there is such fear manifested in reality

Hell does not exist, trust me, there will be no Gods/Deities going to punish you, but its your own karma and when you are awaken in after life to your true self and find your own behavior to be disgusting and so punishing yourself up there

try learn to become an honest person and do not speak lies, and do not believe in propaganda that there is white lies

if you accidentally cause your friend to suicide or took a part in it, try to feel remorseful. stop saying she is bad person, because when you think like that it will affect you and not her, try not to know whether she is in hell or heaven because it wont please you and only pleases your desire to see her suffering and be happy with it

it will stop your spiritual growth instead
Orgyen

Post by Orgyen »

If you practice now you might experience lesser painful state even you really commited some serious karma . Repentance , restraint your senses in stages , cultivates goodness and wholesomeness , training in 4 limitless minds , studies the dharma , associate with the good peoples and wise peoples , with that hell should be far away from yourself .
Dont over worries , chant the Amitabha name , make a dedication , repeat it again and again , this should cleanse all impurities slowly . Amitabha pureland is worth striving for to be reborn in that wonderful place .
People may speaks marvelously, highly intelligent but they have no integrity, the dharma do not function in their life .
Natan

Post by Natan »

We are in a "you made your bed, now sleep in it" situation. We have to endure the comditions we create through our actions, realize that and slowly change things for the better. That's life anywhere.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

unless u reach stream entry, there is no gaurentee...
howmanyru

Post by howmanyru »

The separated ego fears death not the real Self. We only fear the dissolution of a fabricated ego self which was never real anyway. When we become aware there is no self we also become aware there is no death, as there is no one to die. This is the deathless state and is free from fear.
Pascal2

Post by Pascal2 »

shankara wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:33 pm There's a story that Buddha in one of his long ago past lives was born in hell. He had to push a cart up a burning mountain together with another person also born in the same hell realm. The demons would beat him, but he couldn't die, every time he woke up again to the same situation, pushing the cart up the hill and being beaten, again and again.

Then one day he developed a feeling of compassion towards the person who had to push the cart up the hill with him. He said to the demons "let me push the cart alone, and let him rest". The demons grew angry at this and beat him terribly until finally, as always, he fainted away. But this time, he didn't wake up again in the hell realm, and was reborn elsewhere.

So what does this story mean? Cultivate Bodhicitta and nothing can harm you.

Anyway, for a Buddhist I don't think the primary thing would be to avoid being born in a hell realm. It isn't like the Abrahamic thing where it is eternal, everything is impermanent. So don't panic. The most important thing though is to attain a rebirth where we can continue to practise Dharma in some way, this is better even if it involves great suffering than to go to some happy Deva realm but not find the Dharma there. So what we have to do is practise and continue to practise, not beating ourselves up about things and hating ourselves for our faults, but always struggling on and being consistent in our practise of Dharma.
I am not sure it is compassionate to write such uncompassionate stories about hell that nobody I know can prove or disprove.
You may end up making people suffering for no reason

Return to “Dying and Death”