A Good Death: The inside story of a hospice

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
cjdevries

A Good Death: The inside story of a hospice

Post by cjdevries »

"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: A Good Death: The inside story of a hospice

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Powerful.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
justsit

Post by justsit »

The modern hospice movement as we know it was begun in the UK by Cicely Saunders in the 1960's. The hospice in the video is the "freestanding" type, and there are quite a few in the UK; in the US, there are some freestanding hospices, but home hospice has developed as the most common site, along with some hospital-based units. There are pros and cons to each setting; the UK model IMO offers a wider range of services and more options than the home version, such as the lovely garden pictured and the more social atmosphere.

In any setting, though, the patient and family/caregivers are supported throughout the dying process using a holistic rather than a medical model. In my experience as a hospice nurse for four years, almost all clients were able to meet the end of their lives with caring and dignity, like the ones in the video.
n8pee

Post by n8pee »

justsit wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:00 am The modern hospice movement as we know it was begun in the UK by Cicely Saunders in the 1960's. The hospice in the video is the "freestanding" type, and there are quite a few in the UK; in the US, there are some freestanding hospices, but home hospice has developed as the most common site, along with some hospital-based units. There are pros and cons to each setting; the UK model IMO offers a wider range of services and more options than the home version, such as the lovely garden pictured and the more social atmosphere.

In any setting, though, the patient and family/caregivers are supported throughout the dying process using a holistic rather than a medical model. In my experience as a hospice nurse for four years, almost all clients were able to meet the end of their lives with caring and dignity, like the ones in the video.
You were/are a hospice worker? My heart swells for your work and efforts. I'm looking through this part of the forum as my mom is currently dying from CJD, and I am unable to even visit her because of COVID regulations. Hospice is my only hope for her proper care. I've not been able to contact her in a few days and fear the worst.

Return to “Dying and Death”