Like Feature for DW Forum?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Taikor.Taikun

Like Feature for DW Forum?

Post by Taikor.Taikun »

Dear Mods n Admins, is it possible to have a 'Like' feature to enable forumers to like a certain post? This makes the forum a lot 'warmer' with reaction from readers.

The number of Likes can be shown on the corner of the post, maybe on the bottom-right of that post. And maybe a few names from the last person who likes it can be shown too.

Just a thought
FiveSkandhas

Re: Like Feature for DW Forum

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I think it has pros and cons. It's a good way for people to give feedback without having to write anything, and it can let people know their posts are being appreciated.

On the down side it has a whiff of "Facebook-ization" to it.

But I could certainly live with it.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I really enjoy DW as a like-free zone.

Overcoming attachment and refusal is a core practice in Buddhism.
And I saw much distraction and confusion resulting from the like-tool in other places, because good posts that include much work of thought and typing often get few likes. Maybe the reason for this is because less people read long posts.
Stupid short remarks, manipulation or wrong claims might receive many likes, because spontaneously in short-term they sound good.

Therefore likes are no measure at all and I put much effort in ignoring them.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I think likes could be detrimental to a discussion based forum. While it would be nice to see your post is appreciated we already get plenty of dopamin from twitter and facebook. Also it could influence how one perceives the post in a "it has many likes must be true" way.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It’s this emoji:
:good:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Taikor.Taikun

Post by Taikor.Taikun »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:14 am I think it has pros and cons. It's a good way for people to give feedback without having to write anything, and it can let people know their posts are being appreciated.

On the down side it has a whiff of "Facebook-ization" to it.

But I could certainly live with it.
Alternatively, it can be represented by flower. Maybe some emojis as well like laughing icon. Newer generations likes more featuews and express things in different ways
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

If someone could design a more thoughtful messaging system for responses than like vs dislike I’d be open to it.

As it stands though we’d literally be asking people to record attachment or aversion to certain posts. From the perspective of a Buddhist forum it seems like an unhealthy idea.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Taikor.Taikun

Post by Taikor.Taikun »

Ayu wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:26 am I really enjoy DW as a like-free zone.

Overcoming attachment and refusal is a core practice in Buddhism.
And I saw much distraction and confusion resulting from the like-tool in other places, because good posts that include much work of thought and typing often get few likes. Maybe the reason for this is because less people read long posts.
Stupid short remarks, manipulation or wrong claims might receive many likes, because spontaneously in short-term they sound good

Therefore likes are no measure at all and I put much effort in ignoring them.
Good points there. Something to think about
Taikor.Taikun

Post by Taikor.Taikun »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:54 am I think likes could be detrimental to a discussion based forum. While it would be nice to see your post is appreciated we already get plenty of dopamin from twitter and facebook. Also it could influence how one perceives the post in a "it has many likes must be true" way.
Or maybe enable this feature in the non-discussuon based sections?
Taikor.Taikun

Post by Taikor.Taikun »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:46 am It’s this emoji:
For this to work, forumer has to enter reply mode then select emojis. It shows in separate posts. People can't tell how many have reacted to a particular post as it is not shown in a collective form on the post.

But this seems to be the best option now. Cheers

:thumbsup:
Taikor.Taikun

Post by Taikor.Taikun »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:27 pm If someone could design a more thoughtful messaging system for responses than like vs dislike I’d be open to it.

As it stands though we’d literally be asking people to record attachment or aversion to certain posts. From the perspective of a Buddhist forum it seems like an unhealthy idea.
Quite agree with the attachment and aversion point.

How about multi-post reply feature? User select several posts and all posts are quoted in the reply page
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Taikor.Taikun wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:03 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:27 pm If someone could design a more thoughtful messaging system for responses than like vs dislike I’d be open to it.

How about multi-post reply feature? User select several posts and all posts are quoted in the reply page
That can already be done fairly easily by the user simply using cut and paste and
tags.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

I help mod one of the Buddhist subreddits. Upvotes/downvotes are baked into the way that Reddit works. In theory, the idea is that helpful posts--whether or not you agree with them--should be upvoted, while unhelpful posts should be downvoted. Sometimes it does work that way. A lot of the time it doesn't. Some posts get turned into popularity contests between regulars. Some posts that are wrong but sound appealing (e.g., "the Kalama Sutta means that you can pick and choose what Dharma you want to agree with") get heavily upvoted; some posts that are right but maybe challenging ("rebirth is foundational to the Dharma") tend to get downvoted.

The same issues may not arise here; this is a different place, with a different style. But I think the system has enough flaws to make me wary of borrowing it.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Taikor.Taikun wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:53 am Dear Mods n Admins, is it possible to have a 'Like' feature to enable forumers to like a certain post? This makes the forum a lot 'warmer' with reaction from readers.

The number of Likes can be shown on the corner of the post, maybe on the bottom-right of that post. And maybe a few names from the last person who likes it can be shown too.

Just a thought
I think it would encourage the Facebook mode of interaction of likes-as-justification-of-self-worth. It's toxic, addictive, and I wouldn't want that here. Replies should forward discussion. It's an unfortunate part of being a sentient being. If you have a pleasure-button, you optimize for being able to press it most efficiently, which as we see on Facebook is contrary to productive discourse.
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:26 pm
Taikor.Taikun wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:03 pm

That can already be done fairly easily by the user simply using cut and paste and
tags.
Also if you scroll down you can hit additional quote buttons to add quotes from other posts.

If you don't want attribution/link to the post, you can do this:

Code: Select all

[quote]
Some text
[/quote]
Or if you want to quote someone:

Code: Select all

[quote=Hazel]
Some text
[/quote]
Which will appear like this:
Hazel wrote: Some text
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

For a short discussion of "likes," look inside the book:
pp. 9-11, and pp. 18-19
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

I feel mixed about this... It's really a good question. Perhaps we could add a side panel where users could offer flowers and lamps of light?

On the one hand, it might not turn out well if posts encourage the popularity contest mindset of "reactions" on social media. It would definitely lead to more posturing and vying for attention.

On the other hand, I love the idea of bringing more warmth to these discussions. The text can be so cold sometimes... And often a good post will go unanswered, as if spoken into the vaccuum of space.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

If I had the option I'd click on Like for this idea. It gets the point across without wasting space.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

blech. no like. down vote.

"no" to such approval-seeking incentivizing, endorphin triggering interface options.

"Here's a picture of my shrine! Hit that like button!"
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Taikor.Taikun wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:54 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:46 am It’s this emoji:
For this to work, forumer has to enter reply mode then select emojis. It shows in separate posts. People can't tell how many have reacted to a particular post as it is not shown in a collective form on the post.

But this seems to be the best option now. Cheers

:thumbsup:
yes. it shouldn't be easy. you shouldn't be able to sit on the bowl and register your opinions with a tap or a swipe before you wipe. like buttons cheapen the approval. it'd give the drive by lurker who isn't really serious about the forum opportunities to give input without having to actually put themselves out there.

fin social media, man. spoiling a whole generation of human beings.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Bill Maher answers this brilliantly here:

Return to “Suggestion Box”