copyright laws ???

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Minobu

copyright laws ???

Post by Minobu »

So i have this book
https://www.amazon.com/Enlightenment-Ti ... 0646165003
and i wish to use a few pages of it to discuss something..type them in a thread ...

so can i do that or is there something i need to do ?

if i say where they come from is that enough?

by the way the book is excellent source for learning all the basics...
PadmaVonSamba

Re: copyright laws ???

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Quoting a few paragraphs here or there for the purpose of academic discussion is commonly accepted and doesn’t violate copyright law.
Really, unless you are blatantly trying to publish your own. “Bootleg” copy, or use parts of it in your own published works or in some other profitable venture, such as pulling inspirational quotes and printing them on tee shirts, without first getting permission, if you aren’t doing anything like that, it’s not a violation and nobody will care.

And sharing a link to ordering the book, as you’ve done, that’s great. No problems.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: copyright laws ???

Post by Ayu »

The passages shouldn't be too long. Just some paragraphs. In best case you are able to provide a link.
Terms of Service wrote:QUOTING AND REFERENCING SOURCES

When quoting a source, please provide a citation and if possible, a link. Do not copy and paste full articles or long passages. Instead, select and copy a few sentences or, at most, paragraphs, that are relevant to the discussion and paste them with proper citation.

Please respect the wishes of teachers/authors. It is policy here not to permit quotes (or the publishing of) tracts from restricted texts or the reproduction of restricted images, audio/video including web/podcasts.

Any text or images which are considered Fair Use or not copyrighted may be used including articles which are freely given, providing they are used here for non-commercial purposes as this is an ad-free non-commercial website.

PLAGIARISM - taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own. If quoting a source in your post, provide reasonable citations.

Return to “Suggestion Box”