Comparative Religion

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
joeknow

Comparative Religion

Post by joeknow »

This is not a "comparative religion site". It is a site to learn about and discuss the Buddha's teachings without animosity. While some comparative discussions may be permitted at the discretion of the Moderation Team, it will be allowed only to the extent that such reference serves to illuminate a point about Buddha Dharma.

I have lurked for awhile and decided to join what appears to be a friendly and well-moderated board, with a level of knowledge that is staggering. But before I began posting I thought to check if my multidisciplinary approach to spirituality would be tolerated and found the above. The idea that any religion has the truth to the extent that it shuts out every other teaching is both ancient an absurd. How sad that it prevails here.

I have no interest in the history of this rule nor your explanations about why it is currently in force. I don't expect you to change, but given my dismay about this rule, I wanted to express my opinion.

Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Comparative Religion

Post by DNS »

One of our sister sites:

https://dharmapaths.com/
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Comparative Religion

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

joeknow wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:32 am This is not a "comparative religion site". It is a site to learn about and discuss the Buddha's teachings without animosity. While some comparative discussions may be permitted at the discretion of the Moderation Team, it will be allowed only to the extent that such reference serves to illuminate a point about Buddha Dharma.

I have lurked for awhile and decided to join what appears to be a friendly and well-moderated board, with a level of knowledge that is staggering. But before I began posting I thought to check if my multidisciplinary approach to spirituality would be tolerated and found the above. The idea that any religion has the truth to the extent that it shuts out every other teaching is both ancient an absurd. How sad that it prevails here.

I have no interest in the history of this rule nor your explanations about why it is currently in force. I don't expect you to change, but given my dismay about this rule, I wanted to express my opinion.

Mike
The rule does not exist to claim that other religions are bad or wrong, it exists to keep discussion here focused on Buddhadharma.
The same rule exists in many Buddhist study groups I've been a part of, and for the same reasons.

It also doesn't exist to tell people to not be perennialists, universalists, or whatever. Simply to state that again, this site is about Mahayana Buddhism and it's myriad forms, not comparative religious dialogue. It is not any kind of value judgement on other faiths. Perhaps it's worth examining why you approach it as if it is, and take the rule as a personal affront.

There are many sites all over the internet that focus on such dialogue. For the most part, the level of dialogue in many of these places reflects exactly why a rule like this is necessary.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Suggestion Box”