An abundance of pictures and video clips

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Brunelleschi

An abundance of pictures and video clips

Post by Brunelleschi »

Hi all,

Lately(?), there seems to be an influx of posts simply containing a picture or links to one or several video clips. This seems especially common when discussing political topics. It's easy to see why - perhaps the video clip expresses some viewpoint in a succinct and well thought out manner, or the picture is funny and relatable which enables you to "dunk" on your political adversary without much effort. However I would request the mods to act against this - perhaps a Temporary ban against pictures? There are several reasons:

1. It cheapens discussions. I come here to read thoughtful imputs by the (many) great and knowleadgable members.
2. I'm not going to watch your video. Just posting a video without context means I'll skip over it. If you're really eager to show something - explain why and maybe I'll be tempted to click.
3. It can (potentially) lead to worse interactions between members. See the toxic environment on platforms like twitter.

As always, just my opinion. What do you think?
Rick

Re: An abundance of pictures and video clips

Post by Rick »

Brunelleschi, hi! :-)

I understand your issues with images and videos.

I agree that they can be a diversion from the 'meat' of the discussion. But, maybe because I'm a visual kinda guy, I think they can also enhance a discussion, deepen it, add to it.

I'm almost always fine with images, because they're right there, a glance and you're done. Video clips work less well for me, because there is an enticement (even at times a sense of 'responsibility') to click on the link/clip and either watch the video unfold or be whisked off to another site ... both of which can be really intrusive interruptions of the flow of reading and contemplating the topic at hand.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Thanks for posting this. I'm aware that I do this to an extent, and I'm now making efforts to do it as little as possible. Every now and again though pictures and clips just seem to fit really well.

In any case, I appreciate you letting on about what you think.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Brunelleschi wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:38 pm Hi all,

Lately(?), there seems to be an influx of posts simply containing a picture or links to one or several video clips. This seems especially common when discussing political topics. It's easy to see why - perhaps the video clip expresses some viewpoint in a succinct and well thought out manner, or the picture is funny and relatable which enables you to "dunk" on your political adversary without much effort. However I would request the mods to act against this - perhaps a Temporary ban against pictures? There are several reasons:

1. It cheapens discussions. I come here to read thoughtful imputs by the (many) great and knowleadgable members.
2. I'm not going to watch your video. Just posting a video without context means I'll skip over it. If you're really eager to show something - explain why and maybe I'll be tempted to click.
3. It can (potentially) lead to worse interactions between members. See the toxic environment on platforms like twitter.

As always, just my opinion. What do you think?

Yes, it's a borderline trolling, has been an issue for a while, and I wish that people would generally not do it. I feel like it's an effect of other social media on how people communicate, at least partially.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Brunelleschi wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:38 pm ...
+ 1

I can read faster than anyone can talk, so I find videos sloooow.
I can skim printed text even faster, but can't skim videos and be sure I haven't missed something vital.
I can quote printed text in half a dozen key strokes. Can't do that with videos.

... just to mention three key reasons. If I wanted a fourth, it would be bandwidth: videos are a pain for anyone on a slow connection.

:namaste:
Kim
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

It occurs to me that the habit of posting pictures or video clips can be similar to what happens when forum posts are publicly endorsed. It could be a little insulting to other members. It's like me saying you need me to hold your hand because you're incapable of making your own decisions or judgements. It's also riding the coattails of another person or what happens if we were to photo-bomb, which is a bit embarrassing and juvenile. It could also be seen as blowing smoke up another persons keister. Quite self righteous.

If it's ever uncalled for then maybe a bit of self moderation is in order. If there's a good message there that is better served as pictures or sound then there's a place for it. Otherwise there's a whole lot of busywork and over-quoting that tends to transform forum threads into ego battle royale.
Keith__

Post by Keith__ »

This is interesting. I had never considered the fact that the desire to include an image to help explain some text might be driven by habits gained through the use of social media. I had never considered the idea that wanting to include a picture could be ego-driven and narcissistic. I'm guilty of wanting to include images in my posts (and I have in a post that is awaiting moderator-approval), so maybe this is something I should reflect on. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Keith__ wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:26 pm This is interesting. I had never considered the fact that the desire to include an image to help explain some text might be driven by habits gained through the use of social media. I had never considered the idea that wanting to include a picture could be ego-driven and narcissistic. I'm guilty of wanting to include images in my posts (and I have in a post that is awaiting moderator-approval), so maybe this is something I should reflect on. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
The OP is not talking about contextual use of images, etc. He's talking about when someone posts links or images alone with no apparent interest in discussion, as a kind of "statement". These are most commonly links etc. related to politics, but are often clearly posted with no interest in dialogue, more as a kind of "gotcha" statement.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Agreed. At least DW has not reached the level where memes are posted in response to other memes. And I hope never will.

Personally I seldom watch the videos even when they appear to be relevant to the thread. It’s not what I come to a discussion forum for.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Already done, and you're welcome.

Exhibit A for Identification: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32729&start=80#p517015
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

We live in a meme culture, like it or not.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Oh, Simon, why would I want to speak to a member of that aforementioned Catholic Jewish Right-Wing Child-Spanking Homosexual Leftist Cisheteropatriarchy anyways?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)

Return to “Suggestion Box”