Too many deleted posts

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Caoimhghín

Too many deleted posts

Post by Caoimhghín »

I would like to lodge an official complaint that too many new, and incidentally hilarious and amazing, posts have been deleted before I have been able to read them in all their ridiculous glory.

Please, moderators, be less efficient in deleting hilarious new posts until I at least have had a chance to read them, please.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Too many deleted posts

Post by Queequeg »

If you haven't read them, how do you know they are hilarious?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Please share really funny ones, when appropriate.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:09 am If you haven't read them, how do you know they are hilarious?
I have a sort of seventh sense for these things.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

It might not be the mods. I often delete my own more ridiculous posts pretty quickly.

1) For one thing, having seen them in black and white their true daftness becomes undeniable.
2) Just writing it gets it off my chest.
Or 3) I realise that it would make the water even muddier. For example I often censor my replies on the Vegan threads because an adult discussion conducted with mutual goodwill has been impossible for a long time.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
muni

Post by muni »

Caoimhghín wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:02 am I would like to lodge an official complaint that too many new, and incidentally hilarious and amazing, posts have been deleted before I have been able to read them in all their ridiculous glory.

Please, moderators, be less efficient in deleting hilarious new posts until I at least have had a chance to read them, please.

Whatever interesting post in whatever which way, you can immediately copy the texts and put it safely somewhere for you. Then read at ease.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Caoimhghín wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:07 am
Queequeg wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:09 am If you haven't read them, how do you know they are hilarious?
I have a sort of seventh sense for these things.
A siddhi? Maybe.

Hilarious can devolve into tedium when humor is not intended and is rather an expression of some compulsive tendency in the character.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:27 am It might not be the mods. I often delete my own more ridiculous posts pretty quickly.

1) For one thing, having seen them in black and white their true daftness becomes undeniable.
2) Just writing it gets it off my chest.
Or 3) I realise that it would make the water even muddier. For example I often censor my replies on the Vegan threads because an adult discussion conducted with mutual goodwill has been impossible for a long time.
Oh, I have plenty of those posts littering this board. :emb:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Caoimhghín wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:02 am I would like to lodge an official complaint that too many new, and incidentally hilarious and amazing, posts have been deleted before I have been able to read them in all their ridiculous glory.

If you saw HOW many of these posts we have in the litter, you'll pretty soon find them amazingly boring, disturbing, interrupting the sense of this board, annoying, distracting.
Very soon people would turn their back to DW because it developed to a trash place.

Please tell that to your friend whose post was disapproved. :consoling:
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Ayu wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:14 am Please tell that to your friend whose post was disapproved.
What? I have friends?!

:twothumbsup:

Point me too them lol.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

All I can say is that yes, temporarily viewing some of them might be hilarious for some. Both for the poster and many of those reading though, it would turn unhealthy pretty quickly. Having a kind of schadenfreude over someone else's obsessions, pain, anger etc....it would not end well. A lot of people don't realize the sheer volume of this stuff we deal with either.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Oh, sorry to hear that. But I still want to read some of the (harmlessly) hilarious ones.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Quick, someone delete this post ;-).
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

dolphin_color wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:48 pm Oh, sorry to hear that. But I still want to read some of the (harmlessly) hilarious ones.
Again some extra work for us to sort that out? Define 'harmlessly hilarious ones' - in a way evererybody can agree to. :lol:
And I don't see often such harmless ones. Lately someone wrote: "Xhftekvuyrn sijbc..." Most probably a bot. That's harmless. But is it funny? :shrug:

Become moderator. Then you can read all of them.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Random strings and threads are usually Kitty cipher.

When the cat jumps on your keyboard, 'thats all she wrote'.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Well I envy the enthusiasm of some of you to read the dirt. But quite frankly go and work with it for some time, it ain't fun. :tongue: Although I do have to say that some of the stuff can get juicy if one is into that kind of a thing. :buddha2: :stirthepot:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Personally I think it is a great exercise in bodhicitta. FWIW I have been working in IT since the mid 80's. The internet connects mind to mind without proper transmission of any other sense. Words are not that fatiguing or offensive without a value added from the perspective of the speaker's intent and the reader's perception.
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

This is dharmawheel. All posts that the mods don't personally agree with are deleted right away. Nothing new really.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

ford_truckin wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 pm This is dharmawheel. All posts that the mods don't personally agree with are deleted right away. Nothing new really.
I would give them a bit more credit than that. There seems to be an effort to accommodate change while maintaining protocol. IMHE they are still willing to accommodate civil direct private dialog regarding some of the challenges even in light of disagreement. Past that, right or wrong, it is a free resource without bias of advertisement revenue. I remain hopeful that protocol will evolve to a point where dialog beneficial to the dharma practices represented without bias. Seems to be a community effort and results a reflection thereof.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

ford_truckin wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 pm This is dharmawheel. All posts that the mods don't personally agree with are deleted right away. Nothing new really.
I think thats exaggeration.
When greg was mod, he deleted alot of posts. But now that he is gone it's just johnnydangerous locking the threads.

Return to “Suggestion Box”