Too many deleted posts

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Too many deleted posts

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Not sure what the relevance of that is, the TOS prohibits things like blanket character assassination and proselytizing. When people either lack the communication skills to -not- do that kind of thing in their normal interactions, or they do them simply because they don’t care, we respond as best we can. The OP was a quote from an advocate of a Christian theocracy simply engaging in his ad-hom analysis of Greta Thunberg. The thread proceeded accordingly.

Start a new thread that isn’t so full of dross, and doesn’t begin like this one did if it is so important to you. That’s about all I have to say on it.

Maybe another mod will be more sympathetic to your plight, and you can always appeal my decisions, or further bring this stuff up in the moderation forum- something I advocated for, btw.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
futerko

Post by futerko »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:44 am Not sure what the relevance of that is, the TOS prohibits things like blanket character assassination and proselytizing. When people either lack the communication skills to -not- do that kind of thing in their normal interactions, or they do them simply because they don’t care, we respond as best we can. The OP was a quote from an advocate of a Christian theocracy simply engaging in his ad-hom analysis of Greta Thunberg. The thread proceeded accordingly.

Start a new thread that isn’t so full of dross, and doesn’t begin like this one did if it is so important to you. That’s about all I have to say on it.

Maybe another mod will be more sympathetic to your plight, and you can always appeal my decisions, or further bring this stuff up in the moderation forum- something I advocated for, btw.
I've only just had a chance to read your link. I notice it does make the same point that, “There’s a real dangerous tokenism of youth for the benefit of public image.”

Regarding your decision - I have no beef with it. Of course as a mod you are bound to shape the threads and not everyone will agree with your decisions. I am not questioning this, but rather your insistence that it is about her real character rather than the media portrayal of it, and conversely the idea that certain posters are unable or unwilling to self-moderate - you seem to be ascribing certain negative aspects of character to an imputed reality that simply isn't there.

Have you considered that people genuinely hold the views they are posting? - they are not misrepresenting themselves for the sake of some kind of hidden motive, this is merely an effect of the nature of discourse - their views are in fact entirely transparent, you just simply disagree with them.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

In the early years of DWM, we were very laissez faire and didn't moderate much. And we received a lot of complaints about that. Some were calling it another reddit forum. Later we cracked down on posts that were just idle chatter, not on topic, etc. And people complained about that too.

You can't please everyone. The best we can do is search for that perfect middle-way enforcement of not too lax and not too strict.
futerko

Post by futerko »

DNS wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:29 am In the early years of DWM, we were very laissez faire and didn't moderate much. And we received a lot of complaints about that. Some were calling it another reddit forum. Later we cracked down on posts that were just idle chatter, not on topic, etc. And people complained about that too.

You can't please everyone. The best we can do is search for that perfect middle-way enforcement of not too lax and not too strict.
I don't see it as an issue to please anyone, but rather the idea of value. It seems to me that regardless of anyone else posting to "devalue" the thread or the site in general, to respond by adopting a kind of cynical distance towards other's perceived "devaluation" is in fact a gamble which would seem to not pay off.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

futerko wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:38 am Well, it would seem to violate the basic nature of reality - unless any of us were claiming to know her personally - the discussion was about her representation in the media. This being a Buddhist site, I return to the idea that I would expect us to be clear that no actual Greta Thunberg's were present.
Well, this argument does not fit here. Greta Thunberg is a real name of a real person. (Moreover of a child.)
We literally receive complaints by email from real people who ask us to stop that talking about them in such a way. (Not from Greta Thunberg yet).

This is a public forum available via google. It mirrors Buddhism in the West and that's why we (all of us) are responsible for how we represent Buddhism in the West. At least a bit.

So, if we were that aware about emptiness and the illusionary nature of phenomena, we wouldn't bother at all about closed threads or deleted posts. We would find it easy to watch our own speech by ourselves. No moderation would be necessary then.
futerko

Post by futerko »

Ayu wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:21 am
futerko wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:38 am Well, it would seem to violate the basic nature of reality - unless any of us were claiming to know her personally - the discussion was about her representation in the media. This being a Buddhist site, I return to the idea that I would expect us to be clear that no actual Greta Thunberg's were present.
Well, this argument does not fit here. Greta Thunberg is a real name of a real person. (Moreover of a child.)
We literally receive complaints by email from real people who ask us to stop that talking about them in such a way. (Not from Greta Thunberg yet).

This is a public forum available via google. It mirrors Buddhism in the West and that's why we (all of us) are responsible for how we represent Buddhism in the West. At least a bit.

So, if we were that aware about emptiness and the illusionary nature of phenomena, we wouldn't bother at all about closed threads or deleted posts. We would find it easy to watch our own speech by ourselves. No moderation would be necessary then.
If you follow the discussion, the issue of using a child for the purposes of political rhetoric was a concern that was clearly raised by several contributors. The idea that we should not be critical of that because it involves a real person (who is a child) seems to be precisely the stumbling block here.

No one is arguing that she has become a public figure and is therefore 'fair game', rather the exact opposite - to curtail any critical discussion on the basis that a child is involved would seem to be precisely the aim of placing her in that position in the first place.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

OK, folks. We'll be reopening the thread.

No fishhooks, eye gouging or groin shots. Let's get it on.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

DharmaN00b wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:17 pm 8-)
ford_truckin wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 pm This is dharmawheel. All posts that the mods don't personally agree with are deleted right away. Nothing new really.
How dare you! Have a merry Christmas! :heart:
This is hate speech.You should be saying "happy holidays" not "merry Christmas". Don't want to be offending non Christians. How dare you!
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

ford_truckin wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:06 pm
ford_truckin wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 pm This is dharmawheel. All posts that the mods don't personally agree with are deleted right away. Nothing new really.
This is hate speech.You should be saying "happy holidays" not "merry Christmas". Don't want to be offending non Christians. How dare you!
Wow. You're original.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

If you want to reach any constructive outcome, you need another strategy.
boda

Post by boda »

Ayu wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:17 pm

If you want to reach any constructive outcome, you need another strategy.
Rather, you need to develop a sense of humor. He was obviously joking.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Its the same unoriginal quip you hear from every angry middle aged white guy. Next.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:51 am Its the same unoriginal quip you hear from every angry middle aged white guy. Next.
For the record I meet that demographic but I don't think I am that unoriginal
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

You're not that demographic - you're not angry.

This is FT's predictable schtick.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:25 pm You're not that demographic - you're not angry.

This is FT's predictable schtick.

lol I was trying to make a funny
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

The point of this thread was a lighthearted joke that I want to read peoples' wild nonsense.

We can close it. The point of the thread wasn't a confrontation towards the mods.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Caoimhghín wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:55 pm

We can close it.
:thumbsup:

Return to “Suggestion Box”