Explanation for Deleted Posts

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
pemachophel

Explanation for Deleted Posts

Post by pemachophel »

I think it would be courteous of the administrators to PM anyone whose message they have deleted explaining the reason for the deletion. That way the poster would know what they should not do or say in the future.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Explanation for Deleted Posts

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

pemachophel wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:02 am I think it would be courteous of the administrators to PM anyone whose message they have deleted explaining the reason for the deletion. That way the poster would know what they should not do or say in the future.
We try to, but it doesn't always happen. In the meantime you can always pm one of us and ask.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Sometimes the only thing wrong is the post you’re replying to. They might have to scrub a whole page to get all the references to that one post.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Pretty sure that there will be alot less posts getting deleted now.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Hi pemachophel,
pemachophel wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:02 am I think it would be courteous of the administrators to PM anyone whose message they have deleted explaining the reason for the deletion. That way the poster would know what they should not do or say in the future.
I agree courtesy is beneficial when actions like post removal have been performed. Sometimes it is more time efficient to leave a mod note in the topic, especially if several posts have been removed and the posts are, for example, "off topic". Individual posters have been contacted by my predecessors via PM with an explanation and suggestions as to how to get a point across without contravening Dharma Wheel's Posting Rules. Sometimes failures occur. I will endeavour to make sure posters are contacted regarding post removal.

Regards, pr
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

I agree. It's quite rude to delete a post and not say anything to anyone about it, especially so when the post does not violate any of the boards rules.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

We don't arbitrarily remove posts. If its removed, there is a reason. It may not have been communicated, and that ought to be addressed.

Confession - I have been less than meticulous in observing the procedures at times. The instances I can recall now have involved disruptive activity by some members here who are not in MU because their record doesn't compel it. We removed the disruptive trigger and everything that flowed from there. I realize it does leave people hanging in the wind when those discussions just disappear...

Most messages that are removed are archived. I can tell you, that archive is a shit show. You have no idea.

If you have a specific post in mind, please bring it to our attention and we will gladly reconsider its removal.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I'm not gonna deny it, In hindsight i've been a hypocrite before, moving things based on them violating the ToS only to commit the same infraction myself in a heated debate, but I haven't done it often, and I endeavor to be that guy as infrequently as I can. I don't remember moving anything recently other than the Daniel P. Brown pointing out thread, and I left an explanation there as to why. I've been here five years or something, bound to be some mistakes and missteps.

If you feel like I've done it to you (or anyone else has) you can always PM one of us about it, or formally do the ToS appeal procedures - as QQ says.

I can tell you every time someone has brought one of these up, the team has formally debated the action. believe it or not we critique one another when appropriate and do our best to be fair.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Schrödinger’s Yidam

I can tell you, that archive is a shit show. You have no idea.
Lol, getting to read that is the only thing that ever made me at all interested in moderating.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

smcj wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:22 am
Lol, getting to read that is the only thing that ever made me at all interested in moderating.
I’ve said the same thing before!

Also smcj, it really makes me happy how much you enjoy the story I shared!
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:34 am
smcj wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:22 am
I’ve said the same thing before!

Also smcj, it really makes me happy how much you enjoy the story I shared!
Are you the one that shared the story I quote in my signature about the student and his lama? In all seriousness that’s the most beneficial thing I’ve gotten from my DW participation. Trying to grok that perspective stretches my understanding of what Refuge is all about. It simply will not fit into my mundane and pedestrian world view. Talk about going beyond “causes and conditions”!

I’d forgotten who shared it. Now I’m going to go edit my signature so I can properly attribute it. Thanks!

BTW, which lama said it? I’d like to go study with him!
haha

Post by haha »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:05 pm
Most messages that are removed are archived.
Are "self-deleted posts" archived?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

haha wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:16 am

No. Deleted post cannot be restored. And we cannot read them after you deleted it..

The posts we want to keep for the record are not deleted. They are moved to a place called Bardo. Only mods and Admins have access.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:13 am I can tell you every time someone has brought one of these up, the team has formally debated the action. believe it or not we critique one another when appropriate and do our best to be fair.
Credit most certainly deserves to be given here as this is as fair as anyone could hope. I also imagine it also requires a commitment of time, energy and most importantly conscious. Can't be easy in these context.

:anjali:
haha

Post by haha »

Ayu wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:10 pm
haha wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:16 am

No. Deleted post cannot be restored. And we cannot read them after you deleted it..

The posts we want to keep for the record are not deleted. They are moved to a place called Bardo. Only mods and Admins have access.
Thank you for providing clarity on this matter.
:anjali:

Return to “Suggestion Box”