Personal Experiences Forum

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Jesse

Personal Experiences Forum

Post by Jesse »

Can we make the personal experiences subforum only visible to logged in members? Just like the Open Dharma forum is? It just seems to me that when members share private information we should hide that from search engines and other web bots collecting data. :)
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Dan74
Former staff member

Re: Personal Experiences Forum

Post by Dan74 »

It's a possibility. What do other people think?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Jesse wrote:... It just seems to me that when members share private information we should hide that from search engines and other web bots collecting data. :)
Maybe you are right. I have no clear opinion about it, because this could lead to the wrong impression it was save to share personal informations there. It is not. If I search for something, the topic is shown in the list of results as long as I am logged in at DW. If I am logged out it doesn't show the topic but the login/registration page. So if persons like to do research, they simply register and they can read it.
While writing in the internet one should be aware, it is not the same as a talk on the phone between a small number of people.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

While writing in the internet one should be aware, it is not the same as a talk on the phone between a small number of people.
Regardless of whether someone is logged in as a member, everything posted on the internet is public. Not only that, but everything you Google and even everything you click on is public. Putting you computer on "private" does not make it invisible.

Never post anything anywhere you wouldn't want read out loud in court. I've posted personal things here but I'm old and not looking for a new job, I will never run for public office, and everyone that knows me personally knows about the things I've posted. So I've got nothing to lose. However if you have something to hide, keep it hidden from here.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

I'm always in favor of privacy even if it is just a bit more!
:twothumbsup:
smcj wrote:Regardless of whether someone is logged in as a member, everything posted on the internet is public. Not only that, but everything you Google and even everything you click on is public. Putting you computer on "private" does not make it invisible.

Never post anything anywhere you wouldn't want read out loud in court.
Today you may be in a situation which you can say things all over the internet, but it could happen something in your life and change this.
But we need to communicate and talk, so it is a good to have at least a bit of privacy and a bit of public space.
smcj wrote: However if you have something to hide, keep it hidden from here.
We could be talking about other people, about companies, cities, etc, some subjects may be ok today but tomorrow that can change too, so it is good a bit of privacy.

Since I'm using the internet for 19 years I've seen stuff! :sage:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Okay, good idea. It is now hidden except to registered members and when they are logged-in. This is how we do it at DWT too (Dhamma Wheel).

Return to “Suggestion Box”