Should moderator accounts be used for ordinary posts?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Bristollad

Should moderator accounts be used for ordinary posts?

Post by Bristollad »

I think there is an issue - we have the use of friend or foe for normal accounts but moderator accounts cannot be added to anyone's foe list. It makes sense for moderation but not if that account is also the personal account of the user. Moderators also take part in discussions, get caught up in the back and forth of discussions. Not being able to ignore a user's posts because they moderate seems a problem to me.

I propose that there should be separate accounts used only for moderation - these could be named moderator 1 or moderator A or something rather than linking each moderation act to a particular person. When a moderator takes part in discussions, they use their normal user account.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Anders

Re: Should moderator accounts be used for ordinary posts?

Post by Anders »

I think the lack of transparency this would cause is a bad thing.

That moderators cant be ignored seems a trivial issue to me.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

If you mentally know how to ignore, a technical gimmick is not necessary for it.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Anders wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:24 am I think the lack of transparency this would cause is a bad thing.
I agree with this.

Also, sometimes ToS violations are found while using the forum for non-moderation purposes. Jumping back and forth between accounts would take up a lot of time. This would also make it harder to watch our notifications for incoming reports and approval requests.

Remember, we're doing this as volunteers and therefore limited on time (we have jobs, family, and other personal responsibilities).
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

I think this would be an issue only if the moderators used their position to put down the views of others.
I have not seen that happen. I have seen moderators express vigorous opinions, which is a healthy thing surely.
I have not seen them use their rank against other members.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Giovanni wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:21 pm I think this would be an issue only if the moderators used their position to put down the views of others.
I have not seen that happen. I have seen moderators express vigorous opinions, which is a healthy thing surely.
Some behind the scenes on that:

If a mod is involved in an argument/vigorous discussion and the thread needs moderation, they usually consult with the other mods to get an unbiased point of view OR they abdicate the role of moderator and one of us steps in to call the shots/take actions.

There's actually a lot of collaboration and discussion that goes on behind the scenes so we can double check that we're being as fair as possible.

Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. We do our best in trying to help this community. A community we are part of and owe a lot to.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Hazel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:10 pm
Giovanni wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:21 pm I think this would be an issue only if the moderators used their position to put down the views of others.
Some behind the scenes on that:

If a mod is involved in an argument/vigorous discussion and the thread needs moderation, they usually consult with the other mods to get an unbiased point of view OR they abdicate the role of moderator and one of us steps in to call the shots/take actions.

There's actually a lot of collaboration and discussion that goes on behind the scenes so we can double check that we're being as fair as possible.

Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. We do our best in trying to help this community. A community we are part of and owe a lot to.
:good:

Return to “Suggestion Box”