Text for Jodo Shinshu Funeral and Memorial services

KiwiNFLFan

Text for Jodo Shinshu Funeral and Memorial services

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Hi, I have been looking for the text/service order of a Jodo Shinshu funeral service or memorial service (sotsuki). Last week was the anniversary of my grandfather's death, and even though he wasn't a Buddhist I wanted to do a memorial service for him.

However, the text for the funeral service or shotuski memorial service isn't printed in any of the service books I've seen, even the large purple service book. Yes, many of the elements are present (e.g. Amida Kyō) in the service books, but not all. For instance, this booklet gives an overview of the Jodo Shinshu funeral, and it states that a gatha called the Kisanboge written by Master Shandao is changed. However, this gatha is not in the service book, though I was able to find the text using my knowledge of Japanese.

Can someone link me to a book containing the text of the funeral and/or memorial service in Jodo Shinshu please?
Zhen Li

Re: Text for Jodo Shinshu Funeral and Memorial services

Post by Zhen Li »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:48 am Hi, I have been looking for the text/service order of a Jodo Shinshu funeral service or memorial service (sotsuki). Last week was the anniversary of my grandfather's death, and even though he wasn't a Buddhist I wanted to do a memorial service for him.

However, the text for the funeral service or shotuski memorial service isn't printed in any of the service books I've seen, even the large purple service book. Yes, many of the elements are present (e.g. Amida Kyō) in the service books, but not all. For instance, this booklet gives an overview of the Jodo Shinshu funeral, and it states that a gatha called the Kisanboge written by Master Shandao is changed. However, this gatha is not in the service book, though I was able to find the text using my knowledge of Japanese.

Can someone link me to a book containing the text of the funeral and/or memorial service in Jodo Shinshu please?
Do you have the contact information of any minister? I don't know of any who are active on Dharmawheel, but they are definitely who you would be able to get this from. If you need help contacting a minister I can put you in touch with one.
KiwiNFLFan

Re: Text for Jodo Shinshu Funeral and Memorial services

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Zhen Li wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:47 am
KiwiNFLFan wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:48 am Hi, I have been looking for the text/service order of a Jodo Shinshu funeral service or memorial service (sotsuki). Last week was the anniversary of my grandfather's death, and even though he wasn't a Buddhist I wanted to do a memorial service for him.

Do you have the contact information of any minister? I don't know of any who are active on Dharmawheel, but they are definitely who you would be able to get this from. If you need help contacting a minister I can put you in touch with one.
I don't have the contact details for any minister. I live in New Zealand, where there are no temples. The only forms of Japanese Buddhism practiced here are Zen and Soka Gakkai.

I corresponded with Rev. George Gatenby and spoke to him online once, but he has since attained rebirth in the Pure Land.

Return to “Jodo Shin Shu”