A Theoretical Question Regarding Refuge and Shinjin

carvahlo19

A Theoretical Question Regarding Refuge and Shinjin

Post by carvahlo19 »

Can someone who was previously taken refuge in the Amida Buddha and then (for mistaken reasons) left, "return"? I suppose what I am asking is, if you temporarily abandon the Dharma, does that mean you have forfeited any possibility of Shinjin, rebirth in the Pure Land?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: A Theoretical Question Regarding Refuge and Shinjin

Post by Ayu »

I'm no purelander, but I have to say I can't imagine that any Buddhist tradition is able to condemn any person that completely. The chance to come back has to be existent. Otherwise Bodhicitta would be nothing more than a word.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

carvahlo19 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:08 am Can someone who was previously taken refuge in the Amida Buddha and then (for mistaken reasons) left, "return"? I suppose what I am asking is, if you temporarily abandon the Dharma, does that mean you have forfeited any possibility of Shinjin, rebirth in the Pure Land?
No issue
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

carvahlo19 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:08 am Can someone who was previously taken refuge in the Amida Buddha and then (for mistaken reasons) left, "return"? I suppose what I am asking is, if you temporarily abandon the Dharma, does that mean you have forfeited any possibility of Shinjin, rebirth in the Pure Land?
It's perfectly normal to waver. Only after Shinjin does one stop wavering. There are also ways to be born in the Pure Land without Shinjin: it's birth by the 19th and 20th vows, or birth through self-power Nembutsu and dedication of merits, rather than faith alone.

Return to “Jodo Shin Shu”