Can you recommend any good Shin Buddhist Books & academic Papers?

MiwaMack

Post by MiwaMack »

Considering there are several thousands of books, essays and papers on many subjects on or around Shin Buddhism, we're all likely to hear of something new when we talk to each other about 'good reads'.

If you have the time to share some titles from your bookshelf, that would be very kind. And useful. I'll be sure to use your feedback here to create an updated 'reader recommendation' list of books on https://jodoshinshu.faith/ , one of the sites I'm hosting and helping to add more relevant content to.

Any suggestions will help others find good titles to read.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute 🙂
Gassho.

Contributions so far from the facebook group '浄土真宗 法話 JŌDO SHINSHŪ DHARMA TALKS':

"Heart of the Shin Buddhist Path: A Life of Awakening" by Shigaraki Takamaro and translated by Rev. David Matsumoto
"River of fire, River of water: un introduction to the Pure Land Traditions of Shin Buddhism" by T. Unno.
"Secrecy's Power - Covert Shin Buddhists in Japan and Contradictions of Concealment" by Clark Chilson
"Grasped by the Buddhas Vow" A Translation of and commentary on Tannisho by Toshikazu Arai.
"Buddha of Infinite Light" by D.T.Suzuki.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Re: Can you recommend any good Shin Buddhist Books & academic Papers?

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Naturalness
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

The resource looks good. Your should be commended for your time in compiling this.

I noticed that among the classic literature and passages, the Ryogemon is not featured on the site. Another which I think many have found helpful is the Anjin Ketsujo Sho.

I generally don't find contemporary books on Jodo Shinshu to be too helpful. They give rise to speculations and disputes about the interpretation of doctrines and in some cases I think they provide hindrances for newcomers in acquiring the settled mind of faith. I equally find it unhelpful to read academic literature, unless it is on a purely factul/historical and not philosophical or doctrinal basis.

Naturally then, one book I would recommend is Alfred Bloom's The Essential Shinran. Although it is a collection of excerpts, that there are introductions and editorial choices being made make this enough of an original work. Even though I had read the CWS several times over, It wasn't until I read this book that I finally noticed some key points that allowed me to put things together—or to put it another way, it helped me to clarify the relationship I had with Amida that I didn't know I had previously.

I haven't read his other books, but I also enjoyed Kobai Eiken's Understanding Jodo Shinshu.
MiwaMack

Post by MiwaMack »

Hi Zhen Li,

Thank you for your feedback.
Thanks for pointing out the absence of the Ryogemon. I will add that.
I was planning on adding Dennis Hirota's Anjin Ketsujo Sho translation, although I may have to settle for adding the file and not the the text in page.

Good book recommendations. I understand your point of view about contemporary books and academic papers.
There sure is a lot of waffle out there! Thank you again for your contribution.

Please keep happy and healthy :)

MiwaMack

Return to “Jodo Shin Shu”