Having a hard time with the state of things

Snowbeast

Having a hard time with the state of things

Post by Snowbeast »

I am having a difficult time like many people are during this time. I am having a hard time dealing with all of the ignorance and political division in the world at this time. Many people in the world are not following common sense and rules set by experts and instead are taking actions that hurt others (like protesting the lock downs that are keeping people safe.) I went to the grocery store today and people are carrying on with their lives and not keeping 6 feet apart like they should. People are more politically divided than ever and it is making it hard for myself to keep positive. What does someone do when peoples actions are out of their hands? How do I not let it bother me that people aren't following common sense and listening to false information that is making things worse.

How do I deal with this from a Jodo Shinshu perspective. I understand all of us are bombu and this is the age of mapo, but how does one keep their spirits up? Thanks for your time.
Vasana

Re: Having a hard time with the state of things

Post by Vasana »

Help where you can, and recognize that you won't be able to influence everything. let it be fuel for compassion and aspirations. I don't know much about Jodu Shin Shu, but I saw this image a few weeks back.

There are lots of online resources at this time for mental health. There are lots of webcasts and zoom meetings to stay social and connected which can be really important for mental health.

'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:good:
and the meme is completely in line with Buddhist teachings (some of them, anyway - Jodo shin shu is not my tradition, either) in saying that the only control we have over outside forces is our control over how we respond to them.

It's also in line with the Serenity Prayer, which is from another tradition entirely but is one I've found useful, sensible and (importantly!) easily remembered:
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.
There's usually one extra word at the start but I don't believe in it so :shrug:
:smile:

:namaste:
Kim
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

There is another perspective to all this.

You are having difficulty because you are not abiding to samsara while most people around you are.

Let that sink in. Somewhere in all this ignorance the seed of buddhism has taken root and exists none the less.

When the goodness around you is not apparent focus on the goodness inside of you, nourish your practice from within.

In times like these the ignorant need this the most and in times like these the contrast is great enough for others to see the nature of self worthy of liberation.

It isn't a light switch and many minds may remain closed but how it feels right now doesn't define the true prospect of what you are experiencing.

:anjali:
doublerepukken

Post by doublerepukken »

Bombus are gonna bombu, I know how you feel I often am frustrated as well. Since there is nothing you can do about it, though, worrying and being frustrated is just hurting yourself for no reason. Focus on the nembutsu, and Amida, try not to dwell on this situation. Rest in the knowledge that your turn on the merry go round will soon be over : ) When you feel frustrated, say Namo Amida Butsu, it's the cure for all that ails us :)

Ethan
南無阿弥陀仏
なむ あみだ ぶつ
Namu Amida Butsu
Snowbeast

Post by Snowbeast »

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I've been thinking about the same sort of thing lately.
The Contemplation Sutra says nembutsu purifies negative karma.
For example, when you recognize anger or fear in your heart, then remember the help of Amida Buddha, of nembutsu, this is called the Profound Heart. That is, we're seeing our ordinary bompu nature and looking up to Amida Buddha's extraordinary wisdom and compassion.
In this way, anger and fear aren't an obstacle to nembutsu. Seeing the anger and fear in your heart can nurture sincerity.

Regarding COVID-19, Shinran and Honen Shonin lived through a time of famines, natural disasters, wars, and disease, just like us. These are things that human beings experience. Amida Buddha knew this and made his vows and pure land to help those like us trapped in cycles of suffering.
Nembutsu remains an accessible and vital teaching.

Regarding other people.
In the Three Pure Land Sutras, Amida Buddha accepts and receives the Three Classes of People and Nine Grades of Aspirants. That is to say, people from the highest virtue who leave home to pursue lifelong practice, to the least virtuous person who commits many wrongs and only hears of Amida Buddha while dying and seeing the hells appear.

Our judgment of others is based on our partial knowledge, a specific point of view. However, Amida Buddha's omniscience includes a fuller knowledge of other beings. And this knowledge compels him to offer all the wonderful things described in the Pure Land Sutras.

I've also been having a hard time with angry thoughts lately.
I'm putting a special effort towards verbal, audible nembutsu, which is the special recommendation of Master Shantao.
I tend to silently recite, being a quiet person, but it can be easier to fall into negative thinking that way.
Namu Amida Butsu
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I would also like to share an excerpt from the Longer Sutra (PDF page 45).

Here, Dharmakara has just finished making his 48 Vows or promises to sentient beings in front of Lokeśvararāja, the Buddha of his land. These verses are perfumed with his 48 Vows, in condensed form. They are sometimes chanted as a way to praise Amida Buddha, which is a source of inspiration.
8 The Buddha said to Ānanda, “Dharmākara Bhikṣu, having thus proclaimed
those vows, spoke the following verses:

1. I have made vows, unrivaled in all the world;
I shall certainly reach the unsurpassed Way.
If these vows should not be fulfilled,
May I not attain perfect enlightenment.

2. If I should not become a great benefactor
In lives to come for immeasurable kalpas
To save the poor and the afflicted everywhere,

3. When I attain buddhahood,
My Name will be heard throughout the ten directions;
Should there be any place where it is not heard,

4. Free of greed and with profound mindfulness
And pure wisdom, I will perform the sacred practices;
I will seek to attain the unsurpassed Way
And become the teacher of devas and humans.

5. With my divine power I will display great light,
Illuminating the worlds without limit,
And dispel the darkness of the three defilements;
Thus I will deliver all beings from misery.

6. Having obtained the eye of wisdom,
I will remove the darkness of ignorance;
I will block all evil paths
And open the gate to the good realms.

7. When merits and virtues are perfected,
My majestic light will radiate in the ten directions,
Outshining the sun and moon
And surpassing the brilliance of the heavens.

8. I will open the Dharma storehouse for the multitudes
And endow them all with treasures of merit.
Being always among the multitudes,
I will proclaim the Dharma with the lion’s roar.

9. I will make offerings to all the buddhas,
Thereby acquiring roots of virtue.
When my vows are fulfilled and wisdom perfected,
I shall be the sovereign of the three worlds.

10. Like your unhindered wisdom, O Buddha,
Mine shall reach everywhere, illuminating all;
May my supreme wisdom
Be like yours, Most Honored One.

11. If these vows are to be fulfilled,
Let this universe of a thousand million worlds quake in response
And let all the devas in heaven
Rain down rare and marvelous flowers.

9 The Buddha said to Ānanda, “As soon as Dharmākara Bhikṣu spoke those
verses, the entire earth quaked in six ways and a rain of wonderful flowers
fell from heaven, scattering everywhere. Spontaneous music was heard and
a voice in the sky said, ‘Surely you will attain highest, perfect enlightenment.’
“Then Dharmākara Bhikṣu kept all those great vows, which were true,
unfailing, and unsurpassed in the whole world, and intensely aspired to attain
nirvana.
The rest, as they say, is history :smile:
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Jodo Shin Shu”