Why Jodo Shin Shu (Shinran) and Not Jodo Shu (Honen)?

Shingyo

Why Jodo Shin Shu (Shinran) and Not Jodo Shu (Honen)?

Post by Shingyo »

So I know similar threads exist, but those are more from the perspective of people trying to decide between the two, and looking for input about why they should do one and not the other.
This is more just for curiosity on my part.
I know many people are first exposed to Jodo Shin Shu, and then explore the works of Honen, and then go to Jodo Shu. Or I have seen it go the other way... from Jodo Shu and towards Shin Shu.

Being that this is an area focused on Jodo Shin Shu, I am curious... what made you chose the path of Shinran?

For the record, I am not looking to debate, nor change any minds. This is seriously just a "share your experience" kind of thing. :-D
"There is no place where the moonlight fails to grace, but it only abides in and purifies the hearts of those who gaze upon its face."
~ Honen Shonin

Namo Amituofo
steveb1

Re: Why Jodo Shin Shu (Shinran) and Not Jodo Shu (Honen)?

Post by steveb1 »

For me as a Shin Buddhist, i take the view that Shinran developed Honen's reliance upon Amida Buddha to its ultimate flowering in utter dependence on the Buddha for all things spiritual, especially for salvation in this samsaric/saha realm and full Buddhahood in the Pure Land. If memory serves, Shinran detected a slight remainder of self-effort in Honen's teachings, and took the final step of purging them from the Dharma. If memory serves (and it may not) Shinran remarked on the difference between typical Shu and Jodo Shinshu cemetaries. Shu graves would be ornamented with prayer-tokens for the dead, whereas Jodo Shinshu graves were usually without such markers. The difference being that Shu people thought that full salvation was still open to prayer, rather than on total Amida-reliance, whereas Jodo Shinshu adherents did not need prayer-tokens because they believed that Amida Buddha had already fully saved the dead and therefore they did not require any prayers or well-wishing from their surviving relatives and friends. To me, that betokens full and complete reliance on the Buddha.
shoe

Post by shoe »

Thank you, I was wondering this myself!
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

A very nice essay from November edition of Lion's Roar on Jodo Shin su.

The point that really resonates with me, is the 'gratefulness' perspective; that our practice is an expression of gratitude, rather than seeking for something that we lack.

:namaste:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

Wayfarer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:17 am A very nice essay from November edition of Lion's Roar on Jodo Shin su.

The point that really resonates with me, is the 'gratefulness' perspective; that our practice is an expression of gratitude, rather than seeking for something that we lack.

Well said. Nembutsu recitation is not meditation, nor is it a form of petitionary prayer. It is simply an expression of gratitude to Amitabha Buddha, in recognition of the fact that we "bombus" are incapable of achieving Buddhahood by our self-power, and that only complete reliance on the Buddha opens the gates to Enlightenment.
Therefore we thank the Buddha for His outflow of merit and grace which carries us safely to the "Other Shore" of His Pure Land. The Buddha provides the Enlightenment that we lack, and which we cannot attain through self-effort.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Nembutsu is Amitabha's Mind taking form in this world
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

AJP wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:30 am Nembutsu is Amitabha's Mind taking form in this world
Nicely said.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

steveb1 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:00 am
AJP wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:30 am Nembutsu is Amitabha's Mind taking form in this world
Nicely said.

Return to “Jodo Shin Shu”