Zen practice in Vietnam

NguyenTueGang

Zen practice in Vietnam

Post by NguyenTueGang »

I'm interested in practicing and studying Zen/Thien in Vietnam, either at a monastery/temple or living close to one. Most likely I'd like to rent my own place close to a monastery/temple rather than stay inside one. I don't plan on ordaining or living a monastic lifestyle (yet anyway), but I would like to engage in some serious Zen practice (as well as Zen study if possible), a few hours a day.
It would also probably have to be a place with at least some English speakers, as I don't speak Vietnamese yet, although I could probably learn fairly quickly.

Does anyone have any information about this?
Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, Vietnam now offers 1 year tourist visas.
crazy-man

Re: Zen practice in Vietnam

Post by crazy-man »

Buddhist Centre in Vietnam
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=54
Truc Lam's Zen Monastery, in South Vietnam's Da Lat City is about 300 km from Ho Chi Minh city. It is located on the Highland which has been famous for its temperate climate and scenery since the time Vietnam was a French Colony.
This is one of the largest Zen meditation study centres in Vietnam, with equally large numbers of nuns and monks. The centre has many English speaking members. The centre is not only popular locally but also among Vietnamese abroad for meditation studies. The centre is under the teaching of the Venerable Thich Thanh Tu, a renowned teacher in meditation over many decades. The Venerable's teachings and lectures are embraced, practiced and circulated in many different forms of media around the world by Vietnamese Buddhists
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/bud ... am-txt.htm
an_user

Post by an_user »

Where in Vietnam do you live (or plan to live)?

I know a small Buddhist template in Saigon which has a small room made available from 5am to 9pm everyday (except some days for classes) for anyone who wish to come to practice meditation on their own. Also Phuoc Son Monastery (about 2 hours by bus from Saigon) has accommodation for visitors to stay there to practice meditation for weeks or months.

I'm Vietnamese, so if you need more help, let me know.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

You mentioned English speaking.

Although it is Japanese Soto Zen my vote would be for Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in Arkansas, United States. It is English speaking, rent is incredibly cheap around that area and if you are a United States citizen already there is a ton of added benefits to staying in your own country versus Vietnam for travel.

Plus it is a very deep authentic practice as the whole life is oriented around Zazen versus ceremony or ritual.

Lastly it is run solely by donations so you could help out in anyway you are able and or willing and help save on your finances.

Though going to Vietnam and doing Thien practice would be kind of neat :)

Practice, Practice, Practice
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

NguyenTueGang wrote: It would also probably have to be a place with at least some English speakers, as I don't speak Vietnamese yet, although I could probably learn fairly quickly.
I really like the local Vietnamese Zen/Pure Land Buddhist temple. Unfortunately, the Dharma talks are not in English, so it might be impractical for me to become a member of that temple.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Dharma Flower wrote:I really like the local Vietnamese Zen/Pure Land Buddhist temple. Unfortunately, the Dharma talks are not in English, so it might be impractical for me to become a member of that temple.
Still a great place to practice reciting buddha's name and to learn all the mantras
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Dharma Flower wrote:I really like the local Vietnamese Zen/Pure Land Buddhist temple. Unfortunately, the Dharma talks are not in English, so it might be impractical for me to become a member of that temple.
Still a great place to practice reciting buddha's name and to learn all the mantras
I agree. It's a very peaceful, beautiful place.
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

crazy-man wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 3:38 am Buddhist Centre in Vietnam
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=54
Truc Lam's Zen Monastery, in South Vietnam's Da Lat City is about 300 km from Ho Chi Minh city. It is located on the Highland which has been famous for its temperate climate and scenery since the time Vietnam was a French Colony.
This is one of the largest Zen meditation study centres in Vietnam, with equally large numbers of nuns and monks. The centre has many English speaking members. The centre is not only popular locally but also among Vietnamese abroad for meditation studies. The centre is under the teaching of the Venerable Thich Thanh Tu, a renowned teacher in meditation over many decades. The Venerable's teachings and lectures are embraced, practiced and circulated in many different forms of media around the world by Vietnamese Buddhists
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/bud ... am-txt.htm
I know this was a while ago, but I just wanted to mention: Truc Lam Thien is a Tantric lineage of Zen, a transmission that claims to extend back to Bodhidharma, so it's a pretty unique form of Thien. Tantras are practiced in other Thien traditions, but more of the open public chanting type of practices, but Truc Lam is a fully esoteric lineage of teachings and practices requiring empowerments.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
Tam123

Post by Tam123 »

In the past to now. Vietnam Zen haved contain 5 school: Vinitaruci, Vô Môn Thông(wu-han-zhong), Thảo Đường(Yumen school) , Trúc Lâm(established by Tran Nhân Tông king), lâm tế(linji, came to Vietnam with alot of different lineage) and Caodong school(1 lineage ). The there first school have been disappeared in the year of 1100-1300. The lineage of Trục lâm ended about 14th century after 100 years grown up. Linji and Caodong came to Vietnam at 17 century. Linij came both North and South Vietnam, Caodong just came to north Vietnam. Now there are still many temple in Vietnam named the linij school or Caodong school. In 20th, The venerable thích Thanh từ was tried to recover Trúc Lâm school. In my lineage, i am the 17th generation of Vietnam Caoodong school. In 17 century, à Vietnamese monk came to china to practiced zen and he enlighted, he received the lamp transmission from his master, Yuiji, 35th of Caodong school. He came back to Vietnam to teach zen and established Vietnam Caodong school . Thế main temple of Caodong school in vietnam is Hoè Nhai zen temple in Ha nội. Now our school is still open and develop. :buddha1:
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Thank you for the informative post!
😀
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

Tam123 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:36 pm In the past to now. Vietnam Zen haved contain 5 school: Vinitaruci, Vô Môn Thông(wu-han-zhong), Thảo Đường(Yumen school) , Trúc Lâm(established by Tran Nhân Tông king), lâm tế(linji, came to Vietnam with alot of different lineage) and Caodong school(1 lineage ). The there first school have been disappeared in the year of 1100-1300. The lineage of Trục lâm ended about 14th century after 100 years grown up. Linji and Caodong came to Vietnam at 17 century. Linij came both North and South Vietnam, Caodong just came to north Vietnam. Now there are still many temple in Vietnam named the linij school or Caodong school. In 20th, The venerable thích Thanh từ was tried to recover Trúc Lâm school. In my lineage, i am the 17th generation of Vietnam Caoodong school. In 17 century, à Vietnamese monk came to china to practiced zen and he enlighted, he received the lamp transmission from his master, Yuiji, 35th of Caodong school. He came back to Vietnam to teach zen and established Vietnam Caodong school . Thế main temple of Caodong school in vietnam is Hoè Nhai zen temple in Ha nội. Now our school is still open and develop. :buddha1:
Is it this temple?

and

I did not see zendo or zazen hall.

Return to “Thien”