Where can I find a Nichiren Shoshu Gohonzon online?

cinque8

Post by cinque8 »

Hello,

Preferably, a 68th High Priest Gohonzon.

Thank you
gohonzon

Re: Where can I find a Nichiren Shoshu Gohonzon online?

Post by gohonzon »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dai_Gohonzon

This is a great article which answers your question.
BritNYC

Post by BritNYC »

You don't! Quite simply in all honesty, you don't search Ebay or any other site or print and download. The best way to receive the Gohonzon is to first find a space in your home to set up your altar and start to practice by learning Gongyo and chanting Daimoku. All Nichiren Shoshu Temples here in the US are conducting morning and evening Gongyo and other ceremonies and intro meetings via live stream because of the Covid pandemic so please contact your nearest Temple and try to participate that way for now. You can still receive Gojukai by contacting your nearest Temple and when you are ready you can receive the Gohonzon later. This is something you don't mess around with, the Gohonzon is sacred and is conferred by the priest when you are ready.
BritNYC

Post by BritNYC »

User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

The Gohonzon is transcribed only by the High Priest of Nichiren Shoshu.
Does this mean, that the High Priest of Nichiren Shoshu is writing every new Gohonzon by hand? Or are new Gohonzons somehow copied from his written Gohonzon?
BritNYC

Post by BritNYC »

Tatsuo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:01 am
Does this mean, that the High Priest of Nichiren Shoshu is writing every new Gohonzon by hand? Or are new Gohonzons somehow copied from his written Gohonzon?
The Gohonzons are transcribed from a woodblock print, the original transcription is from the current High Priest. All Gohonzon are eye opened in a special ceremony.
gohonzon

Post by gohonzon »

Tatsuo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:01 am

For the most part, the mainstream Gohonzons in Nichiren Shoshu issued to general membership are manufactured using the woodblock printing method framed in an ornamental scroll. They can either be regular sized or larger sized depending on one’s length of practice or laudability of a Chief Priest who issued them.

Some Joju Gohonzons are personally hand transcribed by manual writing from the Dai Gohonzon by a High Priest, and these are lifesized scrolls granted to Nichiren Shoshu branch temples or important Individuals that have a significant relationship with the Head Temple. The Los Angeles Temple has its recent third Joju Gohonzon in a large scroll format granted by the 68th High Priest, while the other two (66+67) are in wooden form.

Another form of the Joju Gohonzon are copied and transcribed into wooden planks, often for branch Temple buildings erected by an incumbent High Priest for widespread propagation. These often carry a special inscription to the side which commemorates the reason why they were granted.

If you read the article correctly, it will teach you that Gohonzons in Nichiren Shoshu are transcribed and copied from the original Dai Gohonzon, the main object of worship of the Head Temple.

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”