Chanting Daimoku

_johnarundel_

Chanting Daimoku

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Our founder Nichiren Daishonin taught us in "Attaining Enlightenment through the Initial Stage of Faith through the Lotus Sutra" (“Hokke shoshin jōbutsu-shō”),
Once we chant Myoho-Renge-Kyo, this sound calls forth and manifests the Buddha-nature of all Buddhas, all phenomena, all bodhisattvas, all people in the world of learning, all guardian deities, such as Bonten, Taishaku, King Emma, the sun and moon, innumerable stars, deities of the heavens and earth, and all living beings—including individuals in the worlds of hell, hunger, animality, anger, humanity, and rapture. The benefit of revealing this Buddha-nature is immeasurable and unfathomable.

(Gosho, p. 1320)
As the Daishonin teaches, when a common mortal sits before the Gohonzon and chants Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo with deep faith, he will fuse his life with the True Buddha, and awaken his inherent Buddha-nature. This is attaining enlightenment in our present form (sokushin jobutsu).

2021 is the 800th anniversary of the advent of our founder Nichiren Daishonin. Let's repay our debts of gratitude to the True Buddha by deepening our faith, strengthening our practice, and propagating the Daishonin's Buddhism of the Sowing. We must keep in mind the Daishonin's goal of Rissho Ankoku or "securing the peace of the land through the propagation of True Buddhism."
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Chanting Daimoku

Post by narhwal90 »

Ah its good to see a service with no rows of chairs all over :) Is that common in N.Shoshu these days?
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:49 am Ah its good to see a service with no rows of chairs all over :) Is that common in N.Shoshu these days?

Hi!

Sadly, no. Most temples in the west use chairs. However, if you go to Japan, I believe most temples there, the members sit on the floor. I agree with you though, I prefer the tatami floor without any chairs.

This video is from the the Tokohibo, one of the lodging temples at Taisekiji.

When I go on tozan, one of my favorite parts is going to Myorenji Temple. This is another Fuji school temple about 30 min from the Head Temple. It used to be Nanjo Tokimitsu residence. There is an orignal Nikko Shonin Gohonzon enshrined there. It is a somwhat smaller temple, but it is so peaceful and profound there.
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Cool.. never have been to Japan myself. The histories of the original gohonzons by the 1st (and some later gen) disciples are quite interesting. Back then duplication was difficult so quite a few were made according to pattern but the forms vary as widely as handwriting does. Many of the "non-Nichiren" gohonzons were also duplicated, prints made and so forth. IIRC Nikko was the most prolific, and after a several generations very few original new gohonzons were composed, instead are duplicates or derived or reprinted from earlier forms.
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:02 pm Cool.. never have been to Japan myself. The histories of the original gohonzons by the 1st (and some later gen) disciples are quite interesting. Back then duplication was difficult so quite a few were made according to pattern but the forms vary as widely as handwriting does. Many of the "non-Nichiren" gohonzons were also duplicated, prints made and so forth. IIRC Nikko was the most prolific, and after a several generations very few original new gohonzons were composed, instead are duplicates or derived or reprinted from earlier forms.
Nikko Shonin definitely had a beautiful Gohonzon style. There are many of his original Gohonzons that are stored as treasures at Taisekiji. I believe two or three are enshrined in temples. The Ozagawari Gohonzon is enshrined in the Dai-Kyakuden. This is where the 2:30 am gongyo is held. Nikko Shonin inscribed this Gohonzon in honor of Jinshiro, one of the peasants murdered at the Atsuhara Persecution.

The format of the Gohonzon inscribed by Nikko Shonin and the successive high priests is based on a transfer document given from Nichiren Daishonin to Nikko Shonin entitled Gohonzon shichika sojo in the fifth year of Ko'an (1282).

Additionally, there is an original Nichiren Gohonzon stored at Taisekji called the Shishiden-no-Gohonzon. Nichiren Daishonin inscribed this Gohonzon for the Emperor of Japan when he takes faith in the True Law. This Gohonzon was bequeathed to Nikko Shonin.

_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

This is the altar set up in the Dai-Kyakuden or "Grand Reception Hall." The middle butsudan is the Ozagawari Gohonzon, inscribed by Nikko Shonin on April 8th, 1308. The Gohonzon is flanked by a statue of Nichiren Daishonin on the left, and a statue of Nikko Shonin on the right. This symbolizes the three treasures.

narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Nice! Am away from my mandala workshop books- will see what is listed about those gohonzons when I get home. They don't catalog all, but for those they have information on they generally include conferral documentation, disposition of any copies, related anecdotal information and so on.
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Regarding the practice of chanting Daimoku, Nichiren Daishonin teaches in “Orally Transmitted Teachings” (“Ongi kuden”),
Now when Nichiren and his disciples chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo, they dispel the darkness of birth and death and cause the fire of nirvana's wisdom to burn before their eyes. When we realize birth and death are nirvana, this is 'illumination' meaning darkness does not arise. We burn the firewood of earthly desires and behold the fire of enlightened wisdom before our eyes.

(Gosho Zenshu, p. 710
)
The fundamental purpose of our practice is to attain Buddhahood in our present form (sokushin jobutsu). We, common mortals, possess the powers of faith and practice. The Gohonzon possesses the power of the Buddha and the Law. When our powers of faith and practice fuse with the powers of the Buddha and the Law, we can thus manifest Buddhahood in our lives.

The second aspect of our practice is the achievement of Kosen-rufu. This is securing the peace of the land through the propagation of True Buddhism. We call this "practice for the sake of others." Both practices for oneself and practice for the sake of others are integral in attaining Buddhahood. If we lack the compassion to save and help others and neglect to do shakubuku, we will not be able to attain Buddhahood. That said, Second High Priest Nikko Shonin gave us the following guidance in his “Twenty-Six Admonitions” (“Nikko yuikai okimon”),
Until kosen-rufu is achieved, propagate the Law to the full extent of you ability without begrudging your life

(Gosho, p. 1884)

narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

The Ozagawari Gohonzon is index in the Mandala Workshop books, pages 84 and 87 of the 3rd book. I may be somewhat confused in the indexing, but they indicate it was inscribed for Nichimoku in 1290, following a pattern developed from earlier gohonzons in 1278. The format generally copies one of Nichiren's originals and features Bishamon Ten'o and Jikoku Ten'o, with sanskrit transliterations. Curse and Blessings, and a Dengyo quotation are also present.

They also state about 260 gohonzons produced by Nikko are cataloged, I believe they have a separate book cataloging his originals. His last was done in 1333, about 11 days before he died and is poignantly titled "the standstill of the brush".

I couldn't find a reference in the books for the Shishiden gohonzon, unfortunately the workshop books don't have an index of named gohonzons- they are generally listed in order of creation.
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:29 pm The Ozagawari Gohonzon is index in the Mandala Workshop books, pages 84 and 87 of the 3rd book. I may be somewhat confused in the indexing, but they indicate it was inscribed for Nichimoku in 1290, following a pattern developed from earlier gohonzons in 1278. The format generally copies one of Nichiren's originals and features Bishamon Ten'o and Jikoku Ten'o, with sanskrit transliterations. Curse and Blessings, and a Dengyo quotation are also present.

They also state about 260 gohonzons produced by Nikko are cataloged, I believe they have a separate book cataloging his originals. His last was done in 1333, about 11 days before he died and is poignantly titled "the standstill of the brush".

I couldn't find a reference in the books for the Shishiden gohonzon, unfortunately the workshop books don't have an index of named gohonzons- they are generally listed in order of creation.
Yes, so the Ozagawari Gohonzon was bestowed upon Nichimoku Shonin. This symbolized the transmission of the lifeblood heritage of the law from Nikko to Nichimoku. Once bequeathing this Gohonzon to Nichimoku Shonin and laying the groundwork for the Fuji Kaidan at Taisekiji, Nikko Shonin departed to Omosu Seminary.

I will try to find a quotation from Gohonzon Shichika Sojo (the transfer document about the inscription of the Gohonzon), but it has yet to be translated. It explains why the signature "Nichiren" is placed right under the Daimoku. Nikko Shonin followed this style.

I will try to find some info on the Shishiden Gohonzon.

Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Great thread thank you for posting it john
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

The Workshop book discusses Nikko's signature of Nichiren, terming it "zaigoban", as a representation of Nichiren. Apparently a few other schools did as well. Other abbots of some other schools would simply add his name to their gohonzons- apparently Nikko did too in some cases. Posthumously, Nikko's name was added to some gohonzons inscribed by his followers. It seems fair to say he was a leading exemplar of a trend among a number of the schools to include some representation of Nichiren.
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:26 am The Workshop book discusses Nikko's signature of Nichiren, terming it "zaigoban", as a representation of Nichiren. Apparently a few other schools did as well. Other abbots of some other schools would simply add his name to their gohonzons- apparently Nikko did too in some cases. Posthumously, Nikko's name was added to some gohonzons inscribed by his followers. It seems fair to say he was a leading exemplar of a trend among a number of the schools to include some representation of Nichiren.
Thanks for the info. I have communicated with the Mandala workshop guy a few times, he recommended some articles for me to read.

The original Gohonzon inscribed by the Daishonin has his seal (Zaigohan) on top of his signature. However, if you look at Nikko Shonin's Gohonzon or any Gohonzon inscribed by the successive High Priests, they do not contain the seal, just the signature. As Nichiren Daishonin is no longer physically here, his successors, the High Priest transcribe the Gohonzon on his behalf.

Thus, for example, a Gohonzon inscribed by Nittatsu Shonin states, "I respectfully transcribe this Gohonzon" or "66th High Priest Nittatsu Kaō Hōshoshashi" - 第六十六世 日達花押 奉書写之. Nikko Shonin signed his Gohonzons in this way.

From the standpoint of the Fuji school, there is very significant doctrinal significance to the signature "Nichiren" being right below the seven characters of the Daimoku. This symbolizes ninpo ikka - "oneness of the person and the law." In kuon-ganjo, the True Buddha attained instant enlightenment through the fusion of reality and wisdom (kyochi-myogo). Thus, the person is itself the law, and law is itself the person.

From Nikko Shonin's original letters, we can see that he considered the object of worship to be the life of Nichiren (in terms of the person [nin-honzon]). This was further expounded upon by one of his closest disciples, Sanmi Nichijun. This is the significance of the location of Nichiren's signature.

narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

huh, there it is.. zaigohan.. italics in the Mandala book liked like 'b' .... hah! This is a great thread- thanks for starting it :)
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:06 pm huh, there it is.. zaigohan.. italics in the Mandala book liked like 'b' .... hah! This is a great thread- thanks for starting it :)

:thumbsup:

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”