Daimoku Sansho

_johnarundel_

Daimoku Sansho

Post by _johnarundel_ »

To begin Buddhist chanting in the Nichiren Shoshu tradition, you start with Daimoku Sansho. The word Daimoku means the supreme invocation or Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. This expression also indicates the chanting of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. The word Sansho means three. Daimoku Sansho means to face the Gohonzon (object of worship) and chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo three times (in a specific way like our Chief Priest demonstrates), bowing in reverence to the Three Treasures of True Buddhism.

Nichiren Daishonin states in "On Attaining Buddhahood in this Lifetime" ("Issho jobutsu-sho"),
While deluded, one is called a common mortal, but once enlightened, he is called a Buddha. Even a tarnished mirror will shine like a jewel if it is polished. A mind which presently is clouded by illusions originating from the innate darkness of life is like a tarnished mirror, but once it is polished it will become clear, reflecting the enlightenment of immutable truth. Arouse deep faith and polish your mirror night and day. How should you polish it? Only by chanting Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo.

(Gosho, p. 46)
Let's deepen our faith in the Dai-Gohonzon, strengthen our daily practice, and advance forward in our Shakubuku efforts - in order to achieve the peace and security of the land.
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
Shotenzenjin

Re: Daimoku Sansho

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Good post John. Thank you for posting it
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:45 pm Good post John. Thank you for posting it
:twothumbsup:
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Daimoku Sansho is my favorite part of a meeting, either beginning or ending. It is still done in SGI to open/close, but when meetings started including chairs a lot of its formality disappeared. lol, or perhaps I'm a dinosaur and rigid in my own way. I prefer the old days when the gohonzon rooms were an empty stretch of floor and a butsudan against the wall. I don't use a chair or even a cushion with my altar, guests don't get them either :D .

That said, if the game is an hour tozo then I confess its a bit easier to get it done on a chair...
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:20 am I prefer the old days when the gohonzon rooms were an empty stretch of floor and a butsudan against the wall. I don't use a chair or even a cushion with my altar, guests don't get them either :D .

That said, if the game is an hour tozo then I confess its a bit easier to get it done on a chair...
Haha, I agree. When I go on tozan, we all sit on the floor, and I much prefer it.

On 6:30 am Saturday morning gongyo, when we are doing shodai, the Chief Priest sometimes moves from his chair and sits on the floor instead, getting used to sitting on the floor before he goes to Japan.

narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I find I can last a bit longer on the bare floor vs a cushion, likewise if I'm wearing boots. Maybe something about the area of reduced circulation being smaller on the bare floor. Is seiza still the usual position in N.Shoshu when sitting on the floor? I've worked away at half-lotus as an option, but slow going- takes long time to get used to these postures...
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:40 pm I find I can last a bit longer on the bare floor vs a cushion, likewise if I'm wearing boots. Maybe something about the area of reduced circulation being smaller on the bare floor. Is seiza still the usual position in N.Shoshu when sitting on the floor? I've worked away at half-lotus as an option, but slow going- takes long time to get used to these postures...
Hi!

Yes, I seiza is still the usual position. I assume the protocols will always be the same for the priesthood, and lay members usually follow, however some sit crosslegged as well.

Its probably the most difficult to sit during Ushitora Gongyo at Taisekiji at 2:30 AM, when we are quite tired. This gongyo is also longer as the Hiki Daimoku is even more prolounged.

narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

2:30am is tough! I remember a couple super-early gongyos like that back in the old NSA days during events.. as uncomfortable as it is, there is an undeniable potency in having the full assembly that early- perhaps a very clear demonstration of itaidoshin.
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:27 pm 2:30am is tough! I remember a couple super-early gongyos like that back in the old NSA days during events.. as uncomfortable as it is, there is an undeniable potency in having the full assembly that early- perhaps a very clear demonstration of itaidoshin.
Hi!

Yes, it is quite tough. As you said there is an "undeniable potency." Two student priests beat the drum in unison during the chanting of Daimoku. It is a great experience.

During the NSA days it was done at midnight. This was an SGI change. However, in the 90s, 67th High Priest Nikken Shonin reverted it back to its original time at 2:30 am. There is special significance to this time.

ushi [丑]- hour of the ox - 1-3 am

tora [寅]- hour of the tiger - 3-5 am
  • Shakyamuni Buddha attained enlightenment during the hour of the ox and the hour of the tiger
  • Nichiren Daishonin discarded his provisional identity as the reincarnation of Bodhisattva Jogyo and revealed himself to be the True Buddha of kuon-ganjo. This occured during the hours of the ox and tiger.
  • All Buddhas of the three existences attain Buddhahood during these hours

narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

:) yeah I remember those late NSA evenings. Even before the schism the local NSA folks started avoiding the super late evenings, particularly for New Years, for fear of members driving tired out that late- not to mention the other drivers.

My favorites were the early morning gongyo's at the community center- 6:30a all the commuters would stop in on their way to work; gongyo followed by a few minutes of stretches, chatter on the way out the door, then everyone would split and head to work. The gajokai on the overnight shift had to have their act together; everything prepped before the first ones showed because they were in no mood for a locked door.

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”