Itai Dōshin

_johnarundel_

Itai Dōshin

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Many in Body, One in Mind (itai-dōshin) [異体同心]

Nichiren Daishonin states in the gosho, "On Itai Dōshin" ("Itai Dōshin-ji"),
Even an individual who is at cross-purposes with himself will never succeed, due to his conflicted mind. Yet, even 100 or 1,000 people certainly can accomplish their goals if they become single-minded. Though numerous, the Japanese people will find it difficult to accomplish anything, because they are in dōtai-ishin. In contrast, I believe that even though Nichiren and his followers are few in number, because they act in itai-dōshin, they will accomplish their great mission of propagating the Lotus Sutra.

(Gosho, p. 1389)

This gosho is dated sixth day of the eighth month. The year is not given and was most likely written in between the first year of Kenji (1275) and the third year of Kō'an (1280). This letter was given to lay priest Takahashi, whose wife was aunt to the second High Priest Nikkō Shonin.

In this letter, the Daishonin references the story of King Chou of Yin and King Wu of Chou. King Wu only had a force of 800 feudal lords, while King Chou had a large force of 700,000 cavalry men. Despite his tiny numbers in comparison, King Wu prevailed in this battle because of perfect unity amongst his army, while King Chou was defeated due to disunity.

The great aspiration of the Nichiren Daishonin is achievement of Kosen-rufu and the establishment of the Buddha Land. This may seem like a very daunting and almost impossible goal. But when such feelings arise it is important to remember the Daishonin's golden words about unity, and realize that through our strong faith in the Dai-Gohonzon, our consistent practice, and our deep compassion that even the greatest goals such as Kosen-rufu can be realized. Thus, regarding this, the Daishonin states in "On the Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life and Death" ("Shōji ichidaiji kechimyaku-shō"),
All disciples and believers of Nichiren should chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo with the spirit of many in body, one in mind (itai dōshin), overcoming all differences among themselves, just like fish being inseparable from the water in which they swim. This is called the Heritage of the ultimate Law of life and death. This is also what Nichiren is trying to propagate now in the Latter Day of the Law. When you are so united, even the great aspiration for kosen-rufu can be fulfilled without fail.

(Gosho, p. 514)
Thus, there should be solid unity amongst Hokkeko believers and unity between priesthood and laity. We should never judge or degrade our fellow Hokkeko members, and always strive to help each other out in order to establish a strong spirit of unity. In order to develop our faith and practice and not develop arrogant and distorted views on Buddhism, we should strive to follow the High Priest's guidance, based on the master-disciple relationship. High Priest Nichinyo Shonin states:
In striving to accomplish the solid unity of different bodies but one mind, it is essential for each one of us to uphold the achievement of kosen-rufu as our personal mission and to thoroughly challenge ourselves, based on our determination to never regress or slacken in our faith. We must follow the Daishonin’s sacred instructions precisely, embracing the attitude of “single mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives.” Through this challenge to achieve kosen-rufu, in total unity of one mind, we can create true solidarity. Herein lies the essential key to accomplish our designated objectives and to defeat the obstacles and devils.

(Goshinan-shu, No. 14, p. 60)

Thus, I hope we can all strengthen our practice and deepen our faith and strive to propagate the true Law. I sincerely pray for the peace and happiness of everyone on this forum and for your goold health during these times.

Thank you!

Unity Between Priesthood and Laity - During Ushitora Gongyo, the High Priest takes his seat on the Mokushiza (Nichimoku Shonin's seat) facing east, while priests and lay believers face north
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
Shotenzenjin

Re: Itai Dōshin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Well stated and important. Thank you for posting this John
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Nice :twothumbsup: Many thanks John
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:00 pm Well stated and important. Thank you for posting this John
Thank you!
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:19 pm Nice :twothumbsup: Many thanks John
:twothumbsup:

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

obviously we are not putting this into practice .

As long as one sees their school as the perfect school and others as wrong we will never see itai Doshin amongst all the people who practice this Buddhism.

I think it is time we all demand of all of our differing schools to put aside their differences and embrace each other for what we are...

that being doing the impossible during Mappo, chanting the Odaimoku .

If we look here on this forum , what really is the problem.

arguing over The Eternal Buddha , not believing in the Dai Gohonzon , like these things really matter.

the only power these narratives and paradigms have is this....the destruction of Itai doshin...

too much attachment to concepts ...this is what attachment does to you and organizations...

I've played the devil's advocate, which did not really work out , argued over concepts , and ended up even stopping the practice up several times.

this is all of our problem...Holding unto power and prestige in the various schools is all the same game...

huge slander ...thats all it is...and people will pay for this with their karma from doing this ...

So yeah real Itai doshin in this practice is every school coming together and lightening up on the attachment to what makes their school different to the others...

and is it really all that different...something so important that it cause total disunity and war between the schools .
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

So minobu will you accept the teaching of Nichiren shoshu so we can all be one happy family?
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:41 am So minobu will you accept the teaching of Nichiren shoshu so we can all be one happy family?
I think you missed the point.
It is like what educated people did back in the day to accept inter racial marriages.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Why not accept the diversity of different sects which is a fact of life really.

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:19 pm Why not accept the diversity of different sects which is a fact of life really.
I have come to exactly that conclusion...
they all point to things like i said...

i can see how the Eternal dharmakaya MyoHo RenGe Kyo could actually manifest as Nichiren ....

I don't see it as such ..at this juncture of my life...but the nuts and bolts of it all is quite assuredly possible..

does it matter?
i no longer think so for the medicine is way above anyone on this planet's pay level...

whether you believe in something like the Dai Gohonzon or not ...i don;t think matters...

it's the basic practice...the medicine...

so we have differing views that have been introduced to us....but the actual medicine remains the same...no matter what one believes in...A christian with die hard belief in Jesus as God...will get benefit if they try it out...

i dunno SZ ...this forum has taught me one thing...

we are mired in attachment to secondary aspects of this practice...to the point they cause disunity amongst the chanters ...

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”