Oeshiki

_johnarundel_

Oeshiki

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Oeshiki - Celebrating Nichiren Daishonin's Eternal Life

Hi Everyone!

So this a day late, but on October 13th, 1282, Nichiren Daishonin peacefully passed away at his residence in Ikegami. According to Nikko Shonin’s record of the Daishonin’s passing, he passed away at 8:00 in the morning, surrounded by his close disciples who were single-mindedly chanting Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. It is said that when he passed away, there was an earthquake followed by out of season blooming of cherry blossoms.

We all owe a great debt of gratitude to Nichiren Daishonin. Without the Daishonin’s advent into this world, and his revelation of the Three Great Secret Laws (sandai-hiho), we would not be able to attain Buddhahood. For the sake of protecting the true Law, the Daishonin and his disciples underwent severe, life-threatening persecutions, embodying with their lives the passage in the Juryo Chapter of the Lotus Sutra,
single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives
For the sake of the enlightenment of all beings, Nichiren Daishonin embodied his inner enlightenment (naisho) in the Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of the Essential Teaching, which is the one great secret law (ichidai-hiho). The Daishonin states in “Reply to Kyo’o” (“Kyo’o dono-gohenji”),
I, Nichiren, have inscribed my life in sumi, so believe in the Gohonzon with your whole heart. The Buddha's will is the Lotus Sutra, but the soul of Nichiren is nothing other than Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo.

(Gosho, p. 685)
The last lecture the Daishonin gave was on the Rissho Ankoku Ron. Because of this it is said that the Daishonin’s teachings began and ended with the Rissho Ankoku Ron. This treatise embodies the spirit of Nichiren Daishonin’s life, which is to establish the truth for the sake of all beings. Throughout his entire life, the Daishonin devoted himself to propagating the correct Law throughout Japan. Though this particular treatise is not extremely detailed, if one reads carefully, one can see that all of the Daishonin’s profound teachings exist within this writing.

Currently with the Covid-19 pandemic, now more than ever should we reflect on Daishonin’s life and take to heart the meaning of the Rissho Ankoku Ron. The Daishonin taught that every aspect of our life is our practice of the Lotus Sutra, so simply being a kind and compassionate friend in these difficult times can be seen as our practice of true Buddhism. Both practice for ourselves and practice for the sake of others are essential in Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism. In conclusion, I will leave the following gosho passage from "Questions and Answers on Embracing the Lotus Sutra" ("Jimyo hokke mondo-sho"),
I believe that embracing Myoho-Renge-Kyo, which ensures “peace and security in this lifetime and good circumstances in the next,” is the only honor to pursue in this lifetime and is the guide to maintain enlightenment in the future. Single-mindedly chant Nam Myoho-Renge-Kyo and encourage others to do the same. This will remain as your only memory from this present, human life.

(Gosho, p. 300)

Nichiren Daishonin and his disciples praying for rain
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
Shotenzenjin

Re: Oeshiki

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Thank you for posting this john
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

:twothumbsup: likewise, many thanks :)
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

look at the pic and see His candle stick holder .
I no longer own the original Gakki Gosho Reference but there was a pic of it.an actual photo of the candle holder.

It has a dragon wrapped three times around it going up...
if you are into Kundalini...the image along with fire ...man oh man...coolness galore.

but yeah rain and dragons eh !
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Minobu wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:45 pm look at the pic and see His candle stick holder .
I no longer own the original Gakki Gosho Reference but there was a pic of it.an actual photo of the candle holder.

if you are into Kundalini...the image along with fire ...man oh man...coolness galore.

Hi Minobu!

Thanks for pointing that out.

I believe this candle holder is at Taisekiji. I believe Nikko Shonin took it with him when he left Mt. Minobu and came to the Fuji region. I am not 100% sure though.
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

_johnarundel_ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:10 pm
Minobu wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:45 pm look at the pic and see His candle stick holder .

Hi Minobu!

Thanks for pointing that out.

I believe this candle holder is at Taisekiji. I believe Nikko Shonin took it with him when he left Mt. Minobu and came to the Fuji region. I am not 100% sure though.
if someone you know has a gosho reference , it had a red leatherette cover, they could upload the pic...i would love to have a craftsman make a copy.

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”