Gongyo

_johnarundel_

Gongyo

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Gongyo is the recitation of the Lotus Sutra and the chanting of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo to the Gohonzon. It is done twice a day, once in the morning, once in the evening, and consists of reciting a portion of the Hoben Chapter and the entire Juryo Chapter. Nichiren Daishonin states in "Recitation of the Hoben and Juryo Chapters" ("Gessui gosho"),
Even though none of the chapters of the Lotus Sutra is negligible, out of all the twenty-eight chapters, the Hoben and Juryo chapters are particularly superior and praiseworthy. The remaining chapters are all like the branches and leaves [of these two chapters]. Therefore, for your regular practice, you should learn and recite the prose sections of the Hoben and Juryo chapters.

(Gosho, p. 303)
Gongyo has been recited each day by believers since the time of Nichiren Daishonin. Nichiren Daishonin instructed that we all "strive forth in the two ways of practice and study." Practice comes first, study comes second. By maintaining a strong and consistent practice we can attain enlightenment in our present form (sokushin jobutsu).

Priests of Myosenji Temple in Washington D.C. reciting the Hoben chapter up to the Junyoze and the entire Juryo Chapter

The chanting of Daimoku is called the primary practice and the recitation of the Hoben and Juryo Chapters is called the supplementary practice. Regarding this, twenty-sixth High Priest Nichikan Shonin states in "On the Ceremonies of this Sect" ("Toryu Gyoji Sho"),
The supplementary practice is the recitation of both the Hoben and Juryo chapters. This practice manifests the exceedingly deep merit of the primary practice, as lye aids clear water or salt and vinegar augment the flavor of rice or noodles. This is why it is called the supplementary practice.

(Seiten, p. 922)

Personally, I noticed a major change in my life when I made a resolution to do gongyo every day, no matter how tired or sick I was. Beginning the day with the Buddha helped develop a good attitude for the rest of the day and reminded me that our mission in life is to strive forth to attain enlightenment and to lead others to this teaching, that is the practice for oneself and the practice for the sake of others (jigyo keta).

Online Nichiren Shoshu Gongyo Book - http://www.bahaistudies.net/asma/nichirenshoshu.pdf

Ushitora Gongyo has been conducted every day for over 700 years at the Head Temple Taisekiji at 2:30 am since the passing of Nikko Shonin on February 7, 1333
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Gongyo

Post by narhwal90 »

That is a cool pic! Thanks :) :twothumbsup:
_johnarundel_

Re: Gongyo

Post by _johnarundel_ »

narhwal90 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:30 pm That is a cool pic! Thanks :) :twothumbsup:
:twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”