Kannon Bosatsu (Avalokiteshvara) in Nichiren Shu

KiwiNFLFan

Kannon Bosatsu (Avalokiteshvara) in Nichiren Shu

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

What is the general Nichiren Shu view of Kannon Bosatsu? The Lotus Sutra in Chapter 25 explains how Kannon Bosatsu will rescue those who call to Her for help. In spite of this though, SGI places no emphasis on Her, and I imagine the same is true about Shoshu (never seen Her mentioned in any of their literature).

However, when googling "Nichiren Shu Kannon", I came across the Nichiren Buddhist Kannon Temple of Nevada, which in addition to being named after the Bodhisattva of Compassion, has a statue of Her to the right of the main altar. I also saw a supplementary practice chanting book on Scribd that contained Chapter 25 of the Lotus Sutra.

So what is the status of Kannon Bosatsu in Nichiren Shu? Do practitioners pray to Her? Is Chapter 25 recited very often, and do members believe that She will protect them literally?
markatex

Re: Kannon Bosatsu (Avalokiteshvara) in Nichiren Shu

Post by markatex »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:34 am What is the general Nichiren Shu view of Kannon Bosatsu?
Kannon veneration is not part of any Nichiren school as far as I'm aware. The understanding in Nichiren Shu is that Kannon's vow to hear the cries of the world is something practitioners should seek to emulate, but the kind of veneration that is widespread in East Asia is not part of Nichiren Shu.
However, when googling "Nichiren Shu Kannon", I came across the Nichiren Buddhist Kannon Temple of Nevada[/url], which in addition to being named after the Bodhisattva of Compassion, has a statue of Her to the right of the main altar.
Yes, it was named for Kannon because of her broad popularity among US Buddhists, but that's about the extent of it.

Chapter 25 is recited somewhat often, and is considered one of the more important chapters of the Lotus Sutra. She's regarded as a protector of practitioners of the Lotus Sutra, but Nichiren Buddhists don't really pray to her. She's also not depicted on the Gohonzon, and no one really knows Nichiren's rationale for leaving her off because he never said, though there is some speculation. One reason might be because of Kannon's heavy association with Amida Buddha and Pure Land Buddhism. Another reason might be because of the inclusion of Kishimojin, who is often identified with Kannon, at least in Japan. Perhaps Nichiren thought including Kannon would be redundant.

Veneration of Kishimojin is much more common in Nichiren Shu and many temples will have her statue on side altars.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Calling upon Avalokakitesvara for help as mentioned in the Chapter is paramount to living a safe life in Buddhism according to the theme of that part of the Lotus Sutra. It is not to be ignored. We must follow the Teachings of the Lotus Sutra and call upon Bodhisattva Perceiver of the World's Sounds because that's what it Metticly tells us to do. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.
markatex

Post by markatex »

Like I said, that is not the Nichiren Buddhist interpretation.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

markatex wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:38 pm Like I said, that is not the Nichiren Buddhist interpretation.
Maybe not understood, but any chanting of the Lotus Sutra will imbue you with the qualities of all mentioned in it.

also the fact this is The Bohdisatva Nichiren prayed to all night one time to be the wisest person in Japan.

So yeah I would say yeah Very much a part of the paradigm of practice.

Lots of stuff is not noticed in Nichiren's Dharma.
Vert

Post by Vert »

Minobu wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:52 am
markatex wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:38 pm Like I said, that is not the Nichiren Buddhist interpretation.
Maybe not understood, but any chanting of the Lotus Sutra will imbue you with the qualities of all mentioned in it.

also the fact this is The Bohdisatva Nichiren prayed to all night one time to be the wisest person in Japan.

So yeah I would say yeah Very much a part of the paradigm of practice.

Lots of stuff is not noticed in Nichiren's Dharma.
Kishimojin is often considered to be the same as Avalokiteśvara in Japan. Nichiren probably considred the same thus why Kishimojin is emphasized instead of Avalokitavrata, they were the same Bodhisattva for him
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

[Mod note: Topic locked due to its age. If you want to discuss it further, you can copy&paste a quote in a new thread, please.]

Return to “Nichiren Shu”