Thematic interpretation of NMRK (thought exercise for deeper study)

kausalya

Thematic interpretation of NMRK (thought exercise for deeper study)

Post by kausalya »

Funnily enough, I'm in the midst of a solitary VajraSattva signs retreat organized by my refuge preceptor, and I began thinking about how I would personally condense the message of the Lotus Sutra's exhortation in my own words/language.

Here's what I came up with, so that anyone interested in picking me apart may do so...

Reformers of all stripes fulfill the spirit of the original non-sectarian law/vow/proclamation.

* Note that I'm both interested in gaining as full/rigorous an understanding as possible, and that I'm seeking the spirit of Ekayana. I know next to nothing, and ideally I want to develop this idea with the aid of my fellow members' expertise in this area.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Thematic interpretation of NMRK (thought exercise for deeper study)

Post by narhwal90 »

I generally find thought exercises quickly become a trap. Which is not to say I'd suggest they are inappropriate, since such efforts move towards clarity, but that the trouble comes with attempts to refine and redefine to be a better understanding- it turns into more grasping at views. The goal seems to be to practice with understanding as a consequence.
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

narhwal90 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:35 pm I generally find thought exercises quickly become a trap. Which is not to say I'd suggest they are inappropriate, since such efforts move towards clarity, but that the trouble comes with attempts to refine and redefine to be a better understanding- it turns into more grasping at views. The goal seems to be to practice with understanding as a consequence.
Precisely the answer I was looking for at this time, thanks for helping me liberate my misconceptions this way.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
kusulu

Post by kusulu »

narhwal90 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:35 pm I generally find thought exercises quickly become a trap. Which is not to say I'd suggest they are inappropriate, since such efforts move towards clarity, but that the trouble comes with attempts to refine and redefine to be a better understanding- it turns into more grasping at views. The goal seems to be to practice with understanding as a consequence.
!!! :woohoo:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

kausalya wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:41 am Funnily enough, I'm in the midst of a solitary VajraSattva signs retreat organized by my refuge preceptor,
two things
1)
i loved doing Vajrasattva cleansing through a sadhana , but one must realize the very nature of the ODaimoku is about dealing with cause and effect on many different levels. It is said , by some, the one hundred syllable Vajrasattva mantra is the only one left by the Historic Buddha Lord Sakyamuni Buddha.. I think Nichiren's practice does the cleansing job more effectively during Mappo..

2)

can you elaborate on the retreat and what you mean by ,
organized by my refuge preceptor

Return to “Nichiren Shu”