Buddha Means Life!

Budai

Buddha Means Life!

Post by Budai »

Here in his excerpt from a writing in the SGI Branch of Nichiren Buddhism, Buddha is referred to as Life. The Buddha is Life! Pure Life, and we can learn from both Mr. Toda and Daisaku Ikeda on how this is so.
BUDDHA MEANS LIFE!

From The Immeasurable Meanings Sutra (Opening Sutra to The Lotus Sutra,) Chapter 1, Entitled "Virtuous Practices":

Then the bodhisattvas, advancing, kneeling on one knee, and pressing their palms together, single-mindedly joined their voices together in speaking these verses of praise:

Great indeed, great sage lord of great enlightenment,
without defilement, without stain, without attachment,
trainer of heavenly and human beings, elephants and horses,
scenting all with the wind of the way, the incense of virtue,
calm in wisdom, vast in feeling, still and concentrated in thought,
will extinguished, consciousness gone, mind tranquil,
eternally cut off from dreamlike deluded thoughts and ponderings,
no more elements, components, sense fields, or realms,
his [Buddha] body neither existing nor not existing,
neither caused nor conditioned, neither self nor other,
neither square nor round, neither short nor long,
neither appearing nor disappearing, neither born nor extinguished,
neither created nor arising, neither acted nor made,
neither sitting nor lying down, neither walking nor standing,
neither moving nor turning, neither idle nor still,
neither advancing nor retreating, neither in safety nor danger,
neither right nor wrong, neither gaining nor losing,
neither that nor this, neither departing nor coming,
neither blue nor yellow, neither red nor white,
neither crimson nor purple nor any other sort of color…

Daisaku Ikeda's Interpretation:
"The Lotus Sutra teaches that all people can attain Buddhahood. What, then, is a Buddha? What does it mean attaining Buddhahood? These questions are vital to all Buddhist teachings. Mr Toda deeply contemplated these questions and sought to resolve them. It was then that the word "Life" suddenly flashed through his mind. He finally perceived that the Buddha is Life itself!

"Life is neither existing nor non existing...... neither crimson nor purple nor any other sort of colour"

"Life is a simple straight forward word we use everyday. But at the same time it can express the most profound essence of the Buddhist Law, "a single word that expresses infinite meaning". All humans are endowed with life, so this word has "practical, concrete meaning to everyone". In this way Toda's realisation "made Buddhism comprehensible to all".
Life has enormous diversity. It is rich and filled with energy. At the same time it operated according to certain laws, and has a definite rhythm. The doctrine of "Three Thousand Realms in a Single Moment of Life" (Ichinen Sanzen), "describes this harmony of diversity", and one who has perceived the essence of this principle is a Buddha.

Life is also free and unfettered. It is an open entity, constantly in contact with the external world, always "exchanging matter and energy and information". Life is characterized by this harmonious freedom and an openness to the entire universe.

The infinite life state of Buddhahood can be described as a state in which the freedom, openness and harmony of life are maximally realised. Nichiren Daishonin says "Myo (Mystic Law)", has three meanings, "to open", "to be endowed and perfect", and "to revive".
These are attributes of life and the attributes of the Buddha as well. In one sense, we can regard all Buddhist scriptures as presenting a philosophy of "Life".

The Daishonin says, "The sacred teachings of the Buddha's lifetime are devoted to explaining this "one principle" (Life). This is what is known as the storehouse of the 84000 teachings. All these teachings are "encompassed in the single entity of an individual". Hence, the storehouse of the 84000 teachings, represents a "day to day record" of one's own existence".
--Daisaku Ikeda

More From Ikeda:

"Life contains the capacity, like flames that reach toward heaven, to transform suffering and pain into the energy of value-creation, the light that illuminates the dark. Like the wind traversing vast spaces unhindered, life has the power to uproot and overturn all obstacles and difficulties. Like clear flowing water, it can wash away all stains and impurities."
-From The Teachings of Daisaku Ikeda and Mr. Toda.

ॐ∞Nam Myoho Renge Kyo∞ॐ

Mr. Toda and Nichiren clearly point out the truth here. Life is the essence of Buddhism, and it is actually what we are seeking after in Enlightenment. But what kind of life? The Lotus Sutra states that it is by it’s Teachings that all come to Enlightenment. That once someone is Enlightened it is because they have come to Supreme Perfect Enlightenment by the Way of the Lotus Sutra. I think that that is the kind of Life we are living as Buddhists, all of us, when we are truly Advancing, we are going by forward by the principles of the Lotus Sutra. Because Life is the subject matter of everyone who is on the Bodhisattva Path. We are either making the lives of others better, or pondering on how to do so, even if these thoughts are just an Expedient Means such as mentioned in the Diamond Sutra it is well understood that Buddhism is here to make our lives better, by the Standard of Shakyamuni.

So to profess our nature is to profess Buddha-Nature. The rest is going to fade away into the past. To be forgotten. The impermanent Self fades, but what we want to remember is the good and the pure Consciousness we have, and that we can attribute to our True-Nature, to Life, to a Buddha we want to become and want to be.

Daisaku Ikeda and Mr. Toda both have done great work to progress Nichiren Buddhism. I believe anyone who chants Nam Myoho Renge Kyo helps Buddhism. I see both Mr. Todo and Daisaku Ikeda as Buddhas.

Though, to be fair, Nichiren had such a strong faith in the chanting of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo I believe it would be fair to say that even if one were to commit a great many offenses, it would still be good for them to chant, because the chanting in itself of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo helps one’s Life. It helps Shakyamuni who wants us all to become Buddhas.

There is a great deal of kindness in this world. But so much pain! I believe it is because a large amount of people have closed their eyes to Life. Understanding the Four Noble Truths and following the Noble Eightfold Path is the beginning of Wisdom in Buddhism, and I personally, according to the Nichiren Tradition, believe that the pinnacle of Buddhist Wisdom is in being a Votary of the Lotus Sutra. It is a Way to honor the Buddha as He asked us to. So I hope that it is always possible for those who believe in the Lotus Sutra, wherever they travel, physically or Spiritually, to expound the Sutra and hold steadfast to it’s Teachings, as well as reveal it’s Dharma and Mystic Law to those earnestly seeking Enlightenment, because Enlightenment, Life, is the Goal of every individual whether they are ready to head there or not, so we have to respect people’s needs, just like we have to respect people’s need for water, and have it amply ready for when they ask. One just may achieve Nirvana.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo will help us all achieve our goals. It will show us the True Path in Life. The Way of the Bodhisattva is by this method, and Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is a powerful Bodhisattva Vow according to Nichiren. A strong sense of Maitri builds up in those who truly take the Mantra to heart, and once they chant it it becomes second nature when it penetrates into the inner Buddha-Wisdom of the Gohonzon that they have found within themselves. That is where the Lotus Sutra’s Wisdom can be awakened.

By earnest reading of the Lotus Sutra and practicing according to our Tradition’s Teachings, we can quickly attain the Buddha Wisdom. Of this there is no doubt. Nichiren was a living Buddha, and the Buddhist Movement He started was planned Spiritually by the unstoppable force of the Mystic Law. The Lotus Sutra is the Truest Matiri towards the Life of Buddhism, and in order for Shakyamuni to be at peace from His long journey, it is important to respect the Lotus Sutra and it’s followers. We must all work together between Schools, Traditions, and perspectives to share and propound this magnificent Sutra to those who are aptly ready to receive it’s Wisdom. Ultimately the entire world of Buddhism is benefitting greatly from it. It is how Gautama Buddha, Bodhisattva Never Disparaging, gained Enlightenment in a distant past life, many many asamkhyas of kalpas ago.

Life is the most important practice we can have. And that practice is deemed “Buddha” by Mr. Toda, therefore we should live life to the fullest in pursuit of Enlightenment. May we have firm faith in the Lotus Sutra.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Om.
Minobu

Re: Buddha Means Life!

Post by Minobu »

this is such good news i had to just say WOW.

It's weird but even Buddha Sakyamuni The Eternal Buddha did not know this. If He did He would have told us..

so simple a thing...who knew...Buddha is life...wow...genius.

thanks gakki for figuring it out.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

So I was wondering....

If Buddha is Life ...

When you die and the life is gone from you is your Buddha nature gone to...?

When you are reborn does it come back ?

this might sound odd but when you are reborn is the Buddha Nature you get a new one or used..

So many questions...

Buddha is Life....

it took the Gakki to figure it out cause no other Buddhist School Teaches this...even Lord Sakyamuni Buddha..

I guess this just goes to show you the level the Gakki has got to...

a step away from everyone else...

so cool...so glad to be a part of it at one time...

this could be the game changer i've been looking for...

i feel like that guy at the end of 1984 where he finally realizes Big Brother is a good thing .....
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Don't read so much into it. Toda, based on his prison awakening, took a loose interpretation of a term and ran with it. Built a religion out of it. It doesn't hold up to analysis. Its a poetic way to convey some aspects of the term, but falls short beyond that.

The actual term that gets translated in SG material as "life" is mind moment (念), as in "one mind-moment is Three Thousand (realms)".
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:38 pm Don't read so much into it. Toda, based on his prison awakening, took a loose interpretation of a term and ran with it. Built a religion out of it. It doesn't hold up to analysis. Its a poetic way to convey some aspects of the term, but falls short beyond that.

The actual term that gets translated in SG material as "life" is mind moment (念), as in "one mind-moment is Three Thousand (realms)".
I think the basic premise is that life does not exist outside the moment it is experienced. Was there something more to Toda's take that didn't hold up under scrutiny?
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:38 pm Don't read so much into it. Toda, based on his prison awakening, took a loose interpretation of a term and ran with it. Built a religion out of it. It doesn't hold up to analysis. Its a poetic way to convey some aspects of the term, but falls short beyond that.

well thanks for the buzz kill...

prison awakenings usually involve ....well ... the kids don't need to know...
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

tkp67 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:19 pm

I think the basic premise is that life does not exist outside the moment it is experienced. Was there something more to Toda's take that didn't hold up under scrutiny?
Well, you're inadvertently illustrating my point. You start, "I think", so what follows is your take. To give the term 念/ksana a gloss "life", is itself someone's take. Which is fine. But you keep this up and soon everyone is opining and now you're spinning out of orbit.

Stick with the technical term, keep the gloss Toda added to it if you like, even add your own. But at least you know what the actual term is and when you have a question about what it means, you know where to look. Saying "life" obscures.

But, that's just my opinion. So take that as you like.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

but is this Buddha...and then of course is this Buddha Nature...two different aspects of the path...

personally i think Buddha Nature is an actual entity ..It's part of you but then again not the actual you...it's encased , so to speak, in Karma which a sentient peroduces , thus all the different levels of enlightenment and defilement sentients experience.

I feel the practice is able to allow you , the defiled sentient ,to access Buddha Nature and then produce what one focuses on. ,

The Gohonzon is a set of Buddhist Ideals , so it's safe to focus on these and produce more profoundly their attributes in the sentient. All for the common betterment of the practitioner and the whole universe...onward and upward to the State of Buddhahood to help all sentients overcome themselves...

But one can also use Buddha Nature for anything ....even what we term evil...it's neither good nor evil and yet can be focused to produce either in one's life enviroment ..if focused properly.

We have this dharma Body ..you know the chakras and drops and channels...and we have this physical body ..Buddha Nature can be directed at either and influence that which one focuses on...or one can use it to force health in another...it's something that needs focus of mind ...in this reality anyway...what ever Buddha Nature actually is...we have not seen anyone actually define it with lucidity...for some reason...So we rely on faith in our Masters..

The Lotus Sutra points to it...so when we chant Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo with our voice and concentration ,due to the Buddha's Dharma , it is accessed..

Buddha dharma can produce compassion with the chant OM Mani Padme Hum, the mantra of Buddha Avalokiteshvara ..Buddha dharma can produce wisdom with OM A Ra Pa TSa Nah DHI , Buddha Manjushri mantra , or name some would say... the same stands for using the Title of The Lotus Sutra to access That Buddha , The Eternal Buddha Lord Sakyamuni Buddha..

Buddha Nature;
using it is the key...your will needs to come into play...
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

念 also means mindfulness. (skt. smrti) In chinese, 正念 is right mindfulness of the eightfold path. In Pureland Buddhism, 念佛 (chn. nianfo, skt. bhuddanosmrti) is to chant the name of Buddha. Originally, I believe 念佛 (bhuddanosmrti) a.k.a. mindfulness of the buddha was a remembering of the Buddha and his qualities.

I was once taught a mindfulness of the Buddha practice from a Theravada lineage where I would visualize Shakyamuni Buddha in the space in front of me, shining light into me as I practiced shamatha on the breath. The teacher called this 念佛, being mindful of Buddha.

The term for Buddha nature is 佛性 (chn. foxing, jpn. 仏性 bussho).
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:11 am 念 also means mindfulness. (skt. smrti)
Right. But the context where that term is taken from - the Tiantai teachings on 一念三千 - it means ksana.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Ichinen Sanzen is a view. These various views Masters deducted such as Lord Nagarjuna Buddha though helpful in understanding the nature of what we dwell in , are by no means something to devote yourself solely to in order to attain Buddhahood. I doubt if the Ikegami brothers could decipher them , or is necessary once The Lotus Sutra is employed in one's life.

Great for conversation and study but not tools towards Buddhahood.

Nichiren Shonin understood this and this is why He left TenDai in order to make way for the future .

Nichiren Shonin basically used TenDai to bolster His Enlightenment on the matter. He had the gods protect Him and brought forth direct access to The Eternal Buddha in all Life and all realms of Samsara.

It is The Dharma Kaya Body of the Eternal Buddha which allows for the Ikegami brothers to attain full Buddhahood.

In other words It is The Dharma Kaya Body of the Eternal Buddha that Allows for The title of the Lotus Sutra to become the very Eternal Buddha and allow for all sentients to lay claim to Buddhahood through it's practice.

as a side note i believe ksana is the time between moments . A state between moments.
Last edited by Minobu on Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Ksana is the duration of a thought. The duration of a thought is the measure of ksana. In a conventional sense, a ksana is an irreducible unit. In that sense, it's a generic dharma - a thought. It doesn't refer to any specific mind moment of consciousness and mental factors. It's an abstraction. It's a convention we use to talk about lived experience. By identifying a ksana, we can then analyze it as a confluence of consciousness and mental factors.

Ichinensanzen is a teaching about the scope of the ksana. Literally, the ksana is coextensive with the three fold world, most critically with the Buddha realm. This pertains to the universal Buddha nature.

Of course it's a view. It's explaining, with specific distinctions, what is happening and lays out a road map to bodhi. Life as it's lived is the actual ichinensanzen. Toda cribbed it to "life" and developed a life philosophy using Nichiren's daimoku as the pivot on which to attach his philosophy.

Not a problem per se. But I think there is a difference between Nichiren and Toda. The latter is derivative, a little improvisation riffing off of the Nichiren Shoshu which is also a derivative improvisation off of what came before. Nichiren is likewise a derivative improvisation.

All of these teachings are derivative of the Buddha's bodhi. The ekayana is the Original Gate. It's called the Buddha nature. It's called mind. It's called ksana.

In case you don't catch it, I just restated the teaching of the Lotus Sutra. My own derivative riff.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

so i was under the impression that ksana is the amount of time between thought moments.

I believe it is referred to as Rigpa . Dzogchen and MahaMudra meditators experience it. It is like a void between thought moments.
I believe also this is the emptiness that Dzogchen teaches , different from Sunyata.
To sit in this state is the goal....

Although obviously Dzogchen and MahaMudra practitioners study Sunyata as well.

Bodhisattva Jogyo chose for a reason to enter TenDai...and to leave taking with Him The Teachings ...They are only part of the study material.

The practice brings so much more to the practitioner than a view.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Minobu wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:30 pm well thanks for the buzz kill...

Unless the below is false he was imprisoned for upholding the Lotus Sutra. Nichiren wrote deeply about a person's behavior as a human being and the paramount importance of life.
In June 1943, the administrative office of Nichiren Shoshu (the Buddhist sect to which Toda and Makiguchi were affiliated) advised them to accept a Shinto talisman, worship of which was being enforced by the militarist authorities in order to promote the war effort. Makiguchi and Toda adamantly refused to do so. About a week later, Toda was detained at his home in Tokyo on charges of violation of the Peace Preservation Law, which was used to define and suppress “thought crimes,” and showing disrespect to the Japanese emperor. On the same day, Makiguchi was also detained in Shizuoka Prefecture. A total of 21 Soka Kyoiku Gakkai leaders were also arrested.

Todaʼs final encounter with Makiguchi came in September 1943, within the Metropolitan Police Department, while Makiguchi was being transferred to the Tokyo Detention House in Nishi-Sugamo: Todaʼs final words to his mentor were the simple cry, “Sensei, please look after your health.” In October, Toda was also transferred to the Tokyo Detention House, where he was kept in solitary confinement.

Starting in January 1944, while still in prison, Toda carefully read the Lotus Sutra, the key scripture of Nichiren Buddhism. In early March, he had the realization that what is referred to as the “entity of the Buddha” is nothing other than life itself—a dramatic reformulation of Buddhist thought. In mid-November, he experienced an awakening to his mission to propagate Buddhism for the benefit of all people.

A letter from prison to his wife, Ikuko

On January 8, 1945, he was informed that Makiguchi had died in the prison infirmary the previous year. For Toda, the death of his mentor at the hands of the militarist authorities was an outrageous crime, which he could never forgive or forget.
https://www.joseitoda.org/chronology/youth.html
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:37 pm Ksana is the duration of a thought. The duration of a thought is the measure of ksana. In a conventional sense, a ksana is an irreducible unit. In that sense, it's a generic dharma - a thought. It doesn't refer to any specific mind moment of consciousness and mental factors. It's an abstraction. It's a convention we use to talk about lived experience. By identifying a ksana, we can then analyze it as a confluence of consciousness and mental factors.

Ichinensanzen is a teaching about the scope of the ksana. Literally, the ksana is coextensive with the three fold world, most critically with the Buddha realm. This pertains to the universal Buddha nature.

Of course it's a view. It's explaining, with specific distinctions, what is happening and lays out a road map to bodhi. Life as it's lived is the actual ichinensanzen. Toda cribbed it to "life" and developed a life philosophy using Nichiren's daimoku as the pivot on which to attach his philosophy.

Not a problem per se. But I think there is a difference between Nichiren and Toda. The latter is derivative, a little improvisation riffing off of the Nichiren Shoshu which is also a derivative improvisation off of what came before. Nichiren is likewise a derivative improvisation.

All of these teachings are derivative of the Buddha's bodhi. The ekayana is the Original Gate. It's called the Buddha nature. It's called mind. It's called ksana.

In case you don't catch it, I just restated the teaching of the Lotus Sutra. My own derivative riff.
Intention goes a long way to determining purpose of a derivative.

To simply express one's own interpretive? Reasonable enough until it is held against the intent is to make a teaching accessible to others. The later signifies a desire to repay one's debt to the buddha of the ten directions and three times. Nichiren teaches the diamond chalice is unbreakable at this point.

The following Goshos might be useful for reference.

On Practicing the Buddha’s Teachings
https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/42

The Teaching, Practice, and Proof
https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/57

The Sacred Teachings of the Buddha’s Lifetime
https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-2/Content/177
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

tkp67 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:53 pm
Minobu wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:30 pm well thanks for the buzz kill...

Unless the below is false he was imprisoned for upholding the Lotus Sutra. Nichiren wrote deeply about a person's behavior as a human being and the paramount importance of life.
In June 1943, the administrative office of Nichiren Shoshu (the Buddhist sect to which Toda and Makiguchi were affiliated) advised them to accept a Shinto talisman, worship of which was being enforced by the militarist authorities in order to promote the war effort. Makiguchi and Toda adamantly refused to do so. About a week later, Toda was detained at his home in Tokyo on charges of violation of the Peace Preservation Law, which was used to define and suppress “thought crimes,” and showing disrespect to the Japanese emperor. On the same day, Makiguchi was also detained in Shizuoka Prefecture. A total of 21 Soka Kyoiku Gakkai leaders were also arrested.

Todaʼs final encounter with Makiguchi came in September 1943, within the Metropolitan Police Department, while Makiguchi was being transferred to the Tokyo Detention House in Nishi-Sugamo: Todaʼs final words to his mentor were the simple cry, “Sensei, please look after your health.” In October, Toda was also transferred to the Tokyo Detention House, where he was kept in solitary confinement.

Starting in January 1944, while still in prison, Toda carefully read the Lotus Sutra, the key scripture of Nichiren Buddhism. In early March, he had the realization that what is referred to as the “entity of the Buddha” is nothing other than life itself—a dramatic reformulation of Buddhist thought. In mid-November, he experienced an awakening to his mission to propagate Buddhism for the benefit of all people.

A letter from prison to his wife, Ikuko

On January 8, 1945, he was informed that Makiguchi had died in the prison infirmary the previous year. For Toda, the death of his mentor at the hands of the militarist authorities was an outrageous crime, which he could never forgive or forget.
How you used my bit of sarcasm about prison awakenings to segue into your post is a huge tell .

Also this whole Buddha is Life ....to each his own.

Why did Nichiren Shonin not teach this, or The Eternal Buddha Lord Sakyamuni Buddha ?

My opinion ,edit
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

tkp67 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:53 pm

. For Toda, the death of his mentor at the hands of the militarist authorities was an outrageous crime, which he could never forgive or forget.
[/quote]

Thats some pretty big grasping and attachment issue ..
Budai

Post by Budai »

There are infinite meanings hidden in the Lotus Sutra. I honestly believe the actual Lotus Sutra is beyond measure and what we have in the Saha world is but a fragment of the entirety of the Teachings. And, in that fragment, infinity of Buddha’s wisdom can still be seen. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Why did Buddha take so long to reveal the Lotus Sutra? For Nichiren to come as a Buddha and expound the Nam Myoho Renge Kyo Mantra? There are always new Teachings, and new interpretations. This is how Buddhism grows. So “Buddha means Life” is actually an interpretation that makes sense, because Life is an aspect of Compassion and Love, of Maitri, and ultimately if Love and Life can be synonymous, then Buddha and Life are core synonyms too, in a Spiritual sense, if both terms are respected for their direct meanings. Life comes from Life. The seed of Buddhahood comes from Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. We all have Buddha-Nature. That is the meaning of Life.

“What is the meaning of Life?” Buddha!

Namo Buddhaya!
Last edited by Budai on Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Minobu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:13 pm How you used my bit of sarcasm about prison awakenings to segue into your post is a huge tell .
Tell of what? That your derogatory statement about Toda is inappropriate in an SGI sub forum?

Why did Nichiren Shonin not teach this, or The Eternal Buddha Lord Sakyamuni Buddha ?

My opinion ,edit
Actually they did. The fact that it appears he did not underlines the ignorance of those who profess knowledge regarding Nichiren's and Shakyamuni's intent.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

tkp67 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:07 pm
Minobu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:13 pm How you used my bit of sarcasm about prison awakenings to segue into your post is a huge tell .
Tell of what? That your derogatory statement about Toda is inappropriate in an SGI sub forum?

My opinion ,edit
Actually they did. The fact that it appears he did not underlines the ignorance of those who profess knowledge regarding Nichiren's and Shakyamuni's intent.
DUDE!!!
It's only derogatory if you want it to be... it was never aimed at Sensei Toda. it was a diversionary piece of sarcasm about prison life in general...

I personally thank Toda for his efforts...I doubt totally if he ever attained enlightenment IMHO...
This whole Buddha is Life thing is never even slightly pointed to in any Buddhist School except for this moment Toda had..

show me the proof ..show me where they even allude to this concept...you can't...
Last edited by Minobu on Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Soka Gakkai/SGI”