Is there a sign language equivalent to NMRK?

narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Is there a sign language equivalent to NMRK?

Post by narhwal90 »

LotusLover wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:32 pm big hello Deaf/blind here i have a karmic affinity towards nichiren shoshu

im fluent in american sign language

you can chant the entire Daimoku in ASL simply by using three signs one of which all who chant it know already
Thats cool! I'd love to see it done someday. Is the signing done as a form of sansho ie only for a few recitations, or is is done for longer intervals also?
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

it can be done both ways short recitations or longer
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

for those not fluent in asl certainly will take some practice. personally id rather sign it in Japanese sign language then ASL for the same reasons one recites in Japanese but at present dont know Japanese sign language,
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

In some sense, all mudras are sign language.

Also we could probably say something about the term sign language.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:51 am In some sense, all mudras are sign language.

mudras as i see them are remnants of a much older sign language of iron age India perhaps pre indo European or an even older system of that stretched to the upper paleolithic, which i imagine had a very well developed sign language and mudra system. what is the most accurate mudra listing?

as for the term "sign language" its pretty cut and dry like any any language it will have to meet certain criteria to be classed as one as opposed to coded systems such as braille, or Morse code,

american sign language meets all the criteria of what a language is. its no longer even contested in academia since its been proven to be a full human language (stokoe et all) sign languages are a different mode of language. but a full human
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

This one is approachable and presents the basics;

https://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/ ... apan.shtml

I have a book on Shingon that goes through a half-dozen or so others, particularly associated with their school. I liked their lotus mudra and practiced with that for a while but found it wasn't very compatible with the juzu beads so went back to the old way.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

LotusLover wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:11 pm
Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:51 am In some sense, all mudras are sign language.

as for the term "sign language" its pretty cut and dry like any any language it will have to meet certain criteria to be classed as one as opposed to coded systems such as braille, or Morse code,
I was meaning sign as in "it must be a sign" sing & symbol, the writing of Kukai, like that...
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:01 pm
LotusLover wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:11 pm

I was meaning sign as in "it must be a sign" sing & symbol, the writing of Kukai, like that...
ah ok i understand now. thank you for clarifying
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

narhwal90 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm This one is approachable and presents the basics;

https://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/ ... apan.shtml

I have a book on Shingon that goes through a half-dozen or so others, particularly associated with their school. I liked their lotus mudra and practiced with that for a while but found it wasn't very compatible with the juzu beads so went back to the old way.
thank you for the link.

whats the shingon lotus mudra?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I took a photo of the material from the book referencing the mudra, and the cover. I view the book as an general introduction to Shingon, perhaps enough to see if there is an attraction or no, but insufficient as a basis of practice. I found it helpful to gain some perspective on the school- to detach from Nichiren's opinions.

shingon-mudra.jpg
shingon-mudra.jpg (361.59 KiB) Viewed 9211 times
shingon-cover.jpg
shingon-cover.jpg (324.71 KiB) Viewed 9211 times
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:09 pm I took a photo of the material from the book referencing the mudra, and the cover. I view the book as an general introduction to Shingon, perhaps enough to see if there is an attraction or no, but insufficient as a basis of practice. I found it helpful to gain some perspective on the school- to detach from Nichiren's opinions.

shingon-mudra.jpg

shingon-cover.jpg
fascinating, Thank you
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:09 pm I took a photo of the material from the book referencing the mudra, and the cover. I view the book as an general introduction to Shingon, perhaps enough to see if there is an attraction or no, but insufficient as a basis of practice. I found it helpful to gain some perspective on the school- to detach from Nichiren's opinions.

shingon-mudra.jpg

shingon-cover.jpg
why am i not allowed to view the attatchment
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

dont know, shows for me.. javascript blocker maybe? i can post links to jpg if that helps
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:21 pm dont know, shows for me.. javascript blocker maybe? i can post links to jpg if that helps
please do
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

thank you kindly neat stuff

Return to “Soka Gakkai/SGI”