Why do some SGI members still have the Nittatsu Gohonzon?

dharmapdx

Why do some SGI members still have the Nittatsu Gohonzon?

Post by dharmapdx »

I suppose I don’t understand how it works…. For example, why did SGI members have to give back their Nikken gohonzon, but not Nittatsu? Why do some still have Nittatsu, while other SGI members have the Nickikan? :shrug:
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Why do some SGI members still have the Nittatsu Gohonzon?

Post by narhwal90 »

I can't answer all those, but when the schism with N.Shoshu happened in ~1990 all the members were encouraged to exchange their Shoshu gohonzon with the SGI issued one- which is what they distribute now. It was a voluntary but "encouraged" exchange- I put quotes around encourage because back in those days such things were more like instructions than suggestion. In any case I imagine not everyone did. Others may have family gohonzon though as I understand it in SGI at least the family is supposed to return them upon the member's death OTOH personally I wouldn't. Of course there are plenty of other gohonzon from various sources circulating around as well.
dude

Re: Why do some SGI members still have the Nittatsu Gohonzon?

Post by dude »

Who in hell told ANYONE they "had to" return their Nikken gohonzon?
The gohonzon is still the gohonzon. As I understand it, it was left up to each individual member to exchange or not, no pressure.

Return to “Soka Gakkai/SGI”