Transitioning to solo silent meditation

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Pårl

Transitioning to solo silent meditation

Post by Pårl »

I am also pretty much a newbie and started daily meditation practice with my local Kaygu buddhist center via Zoom. Those sessions are no longer taking place, which means I can only do "in person" silent meditation at the weekends (mostly).

It's only now that I realize just being on Zoom, taking the instructions from the Lama, and knowing other in the sangha were having the same experience at the same time, all this really helped with the quantity and quality of practise.

So now I'm left feeling a bit isolate and not on very sure footing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started with silent meditation alone, in your own house (in quiet room)?

I thought I would post here to save creating a new thread and letting everyone benefit from the responses.
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Transitioning to solo silent meditation

Post by Hazel »

Paul2020 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:48 pm I am also pretty much a newbie and started daily meditation practice with my local Kaygu buddhist center via Zoom. Those sessions are no longer taking place, which means I can only do "in person" silent meditation at the weekends (mostly).

It's only now that I realize just being on Zoom, taking the instructions from the Lama, and knowing other in the sangha were having the same experience at the same time, all this really helped with the quantity and quality of practise.

So now I'm left feeling a bit isolate and not on very sure footing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started with silent meditation alone, in your own house (in quiet room)?

I thought I would post here to save creating a new thread and letting everyone benefit from the responses.

I have split this off into it's own topic. It is better to start a new topic than to hijack existing threads. One benefit is that more people will see it and will be able to respond.

Thank you and welcome!
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Meditation is the same either way.

You should have had some basic meditation instruction:
1. Posture (seven points)
2. How to watch the breath
3. What to do when thought arise

If you are unsure about these three things, I’m sure people here will give you references to reliable resources or will just ring in with their own suggestions.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Pårl

Post by Pårl »

Thanks both.

We did go over those things during the zoom sessions. I just to go back over them and just, well, sit down and start.
justsit

Post by justsit »

I have found it helpful to have a dedicated meditation time and space. When I was working, that was 5:30AM, because I knew once I got home after work I'd find an excuse to skip meditation. A simple timer rang when it was time to end the session. The initial few weeks were a bit of a struggle, but eventually the practice became an integral part of the day.

If you have questions, maybe you could contact the lama or other members of your Zoom sangha via text, email, etc.

And even though you can't Zoom them, there are other people doing the same thing you are at the same time, you just don't know them. Someone, somewhere in the world, is sitting with you. If your kitty is still with you, bring her along. My kitties loved meditation time, and slept on my cushion when I got up. Lucky kitty who meets dharma!
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

justsit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:08 pm I have found it helpful to have a dedicated meditation time and space.
This is important for beginners and more experienced meditators alike. I was taught there are three key ingredients:
-Same time (eg. 7am every morning)
-Same amount of time (eg. 20 mins)
-Same method (eg. counting the breath)

It helps to do it in either the morning or the evening, at a time where you won't be disturbed by work, people or feeling like you need to be doing something else. Keeping a practice journal also helps. If you have struggles, you can write them down. If you have insights, you can write them down. (After your session ends.)

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”