Family in next birth - Cause and Effect Sutra

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
firewheel

Family in next birth - Cause and Effect Sutra

Post by firewheel »

Dear Members,

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post my query.

I have read the Cause and Effect Sutra. It has mentioned about the actions and consequences.

If one wishes to be blessed with good parents, siblings, friends and also be blessed by getting married and have children in the next birth, what type of punya (good deeds/good merits) must the person perform?

Is there a Buddhist Sutra or scripture which explains about this?

Thank you.
Aemilius

Re: Family in next birth - Cause and Effect Sutra

Post by Aemilius »

The doctrine of kamma is probably the most misunderstood of all the Buddha's teachings. Some of the more common misunderstandings are these. (1) Some people have the impression that kamma is a force or energy in the universe independent of individuals but acting upon them. The Buddha made it clear that kamma is a function or characteristic of consciousness when he defined it as intention (cetana). He highlighted this point again when he said:`Psychological phenomena are preceded by mind, have mind as their leader, they are mind-made. If one speaks or acts with an evil mind, suffering follows that one as the wheel follows the ox...If one speaks or acts with an a pure mind happiness follows one as does a shadow'(Dhp.1,2).

The whole article, containing the rest of the common misunderstandings: http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=207

kamma (pali) = karma (sanskrit)
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I don't know specifically, but I was told by a close student of the 16th Karmapa that if one wishes to meet the dharma in one's future life, it is good to practice Guru Yoga. That is an excellent method for creating the cause for meeting the dharma.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

There are sutras/suttas where Buddha Gautama teaches that you can be reborn in the company of Devas and Brahmas as a result of following the Noble Eightfold Path, for example Jhana Sutta, Mental Absorption https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

A sutta about factors that divide families, Bhaya sutta, Dangers https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

A sutta about four kinds of persons with regard to their present and future families and kinds of rebirth, Tamonata sutta, Darkness https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

The Kshitigarbha Sutra was the first thing that came to mind for me. When I read it for the first time my initial reaction was that I have spent all my life doing the kinds of things it says not to do. The results have been predictable. Fortunately it isn't too late to change. And I think this is one of the exceptions such that you don't need to wait to get the right empowerments to practice.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”