Good deeds done without the feeling of compassion?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
dwdanby

Good deeds done without the feeling of compassion?

Post by dwdanby »

I come from the Christian tradition, where motivation matters so much when giving. In Buddhism, if I do a good deed, but don't feel any compassion, how does that work? I mean, if I give money to a poor person, but I'm not feeling any compassion toward them... ? I used often to just throw up my hands and give the help. :stirthepot: I over-analyse for sure. How is motivation involved with offering help in Buddhism?
Dan74
Former staff member

Re: Good deeds done without the feeling of compassion?

Post by Dan74 »

Hi dwdanby :hi:

The way I've been taught, intention is paramount.
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

Karmically, it’s best if you’re able to rejoice in your positive deeds. You don’t need to be brimming with an emotional feeling of compassion for the recipient, but if you can intend to benefit them, perform the action, and then feel pleased on some level that you’ve done so, then that is best.

Conversely, regretting performing a good deed can mitigate the positive karma from it. In the Pali Canon, there’s an example of past life generosity leading to wealth in a future life, but because they regretted the generosity at the time, they also ended up stingy and unable to enjoy the wealth.

So if you feel like you’d actively regret or feel negative about performing a given good deed, in Buddhism it’s generally advised to start smaller with something you’d actually feel good about. But if it’s just that you don’t particularly feel emotionally compassionate while performing the deed, this doesn’t really matter, as long as you can be pleased on some level that you’ve done it.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

dwdanby wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:04 pm I come from the Christian tradition, where motivation matters so much when giving. In Buddhism, if I do a good deed, but don't feel any compassion, how does that work? I mean, if I give money to a poor person, but I'm not feeling any compassion toward them... ? I used often to just throw up my hands and give the help. :stirthepot: I over-analyse for sure. How is motivation involved with offering help in Buddhism?
1. Examine what you mean by “feel compassion”, and then examine what is your motivation, if not compassion?
The giving (generosity) is something that comes outward from you. Any “feeling” is something you are sort of keeping for yourself.

2. Technically, meaning from the Buddhist angle on things, after having your giving experience, you’d want to just immediately let go of that, not cling to it. There’s no point in keeping any of it for yourself.

So, it’s fine to give without feeling compassion,
Just as it would be to give without resentment, or expectations, or pride. Giving is just giving.

On the other hand, it doesn’t hurt to generate compassion, to intentionally think, “May this person be free from suffering” but again, without expecting anything in return or for yourself as a result. In that way, you are developing an attitude of selflessness.
The less ‘self’ you cling to, the better, according to Buddhist reckoning.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Give without the expectation of any return. If you do in such a way, you will learn to feel good about it because that is the purpose in giving. :cheers:

:heart:
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

It's better if it's connected with our heart feelings.

The purpose of generosity is actually to release our feelings of stinginess. We want to open our hearts to other people, sometimes whom we might not even know.
Last edited by SilenceMonkey on Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

I'm not sure that feeling compassion is the point. Feelings can be influenced by lots of different things. If you ask yourself why you're helping someone, and the answer you get is to help them have less suffering, then your intention is fine.
Last edited by avatamsaka3 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Compassion is not a feeling, it's shift in ones relationship/viewpoint towards others beings. in Buddhist terms, it is not an emotion per se. Rather, it is the wish that beings be freed from suffering and the causes of suffering. it is not the swell of emotion you might feel after a good deed, which isn't a bad thing, but isn't necessarily compassion either, though it might be empathetic joy, the near enemy of which is something like worldly happiness - rejoicing for your own sake rather than others, becoming attached to anothers happiness, etc. etc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm always says compassion is the wish for others to be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.
So if you see someone suffer and you want to give then give.
That said, giving should also be paired with the understanding that giver, gift and receiver are empty. Just so people don’t get attached and too proud of their giving.
There is a story in the sutras where the Buddha asks a rich lady why she wants to support the sangha and she says something like:”when I see the monks and nuns healthy and safe, my mind is happy, when my mind is happy it’s calm, when it’s calm it can concentrate and when it can concentrate, it’s easier to gain insight” and so on. To which the Buddha replied:”Good, lady so and so.
So there is that.

At the same time, practically, there are beggars in my town who haul in a couple hundred bucks a day and it’s more their job than a necessity for them.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”