Putting the Pieces of Buddhism Together

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Thomas Boetto

Putting the Pieces of Buddhism Together

Post by Thomas Boetto »

Hello, all,

I apologize in advance for a long post. Hopefully, I can be forgiven for that because this my first post, and it's a big topic.

I have been a Buddhist for about 1 year now, and it's radically changed my life. The Five Precepts are the most profound gift I have ever given to myself and my loved ones (especially giving up meat and alcohol). Nonetheless, I'm at the stage where I'm still trying to place all of the puzzle pieces of general Buddhist thought into one coherent picture.

Let me get to the point: rather than asking a question, I would like to summarize here my understanding of the basics of Buddhism and get feedback as to whether I am heading in the right direction. I'm trying to place all of the major topics (Dependent Origination, Three Marks of Existence, Three Poisons, Four Noble Truths, and the Eightfold Path) into a logical flow. I realize that there is probably no one Official Answer as to the rightness or wrongness of what I write here, and I assume different traditions of Buddhism will have subtle differences on this topic that I can't currently fathom. At any rate, I'm open to any feedback.

The fundamental core of Buddhism is the Four Noble Truths. Everything is contained within these four insights.

They are:

1. Dukkha:

Conditioned/unenlightened life is largely marked by unsatisfactoriness/suffering. In particular, there are Three Marks of conditioned/unenlightened existence: unsatisfactoriness/suffering, impermanence, and emptiness of self. This is not a nihilistic condemnation of life; rather, it is a profound observation that sets us on the path of finding peace.

2. Clinging:

Unsatisfactoriness/suffering is largely caused by clinging desire (and aversion and ignorance - the Three Poisons). This is not to say that every single desire in life is unwholesome (the desire to be kind or the desire to reduce suffering); it is to say that clinging to desires inevitably leads to dukkha (and the other two poisons). It is this clinging desire that causes rebirth or maybe just aggregates to be experienced as rebirth; nirvana is the elimination of the Three Poisons.

3. Capability To Be Free:

Dependent Origination shows that everything arises dependently with each other based on conditions. It also shows that nothing has independent and inherently defined self; it is a basis of emptiness and of karma (cause and effect). Due to dependent origination, we can see that it's possible to end dukkha by eliminating clinging desire (and the other two poisons). Freedom is possible.

4. The Path:

The Eightfold Path is the means to break free from the Three Poisons and experience nirvana.

All of the above being true, rather than putting forward certain actions as good or evil (though we as Buddhists do sometimes employ those terms), we more accurately speak of actions being wholesome/skillful in light of dukkha (and the other poisons). In summary, the entire Buddhist path can be seen as means to obtain liberation from the Three Poisons.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and I look forward to exploring the Buddhist path further in this forum.
Budai

Re: Putting the Pieces of Buddhism Together

Post by Budai »

What you have said is very on par from what I understand. But you can still go further. Here, mentioned in the Lotus Sutra:
But although I preach nirvana,
this is not a true extinction.
All phenomena from the very first
have of themselves constantly borne the marks of
tranquil extinction.
Once the sons of the Buddha have carried out this path,
then in a future existence they will be able to become Buddhas.
-From Chapter 2, Expedient Means.

The key to Buddhahood is very deep and profound, so keep reading and studying if that’s what you want to do. All of Shakyamuni’s Teachings are important.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Om Mani Padme Hum.
Thomas Boetto

Re: Putting the Pieces of Buddhism Together

Post by Thomas Boetto »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:05 am What you have said is very on par from what I understand. But you can still go further.
That is a fascinating quote you included. The Lotus Sutra is very high on my reading list. There never seems to be a shortage of room to grow in studying Buddhism.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”