Online Buddhist Education

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Online Buddhist Education

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

I have been wondering. Anybody knows about some good study program where one could enroll and have courses on different topics? Basically a university, but mostly online as now it is impossible to travel and in the future I might be still staying in one place.

I found this: http://www.buddhadharmauniversity.org/c ... s-cbs.html

Are there any others? Some that are quite good and more connected with Tibetan Buddhism?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
tkp67

Re: Online Buddhist Education

Post by tkp67 »

https://www.edx.org/learn/buddhism

Sometimes these course are heavily discounted. Held at reputable schools.

FWIW the Tibetan course at Columbia is free right now. Starts today.

:shrug:
Last edited by tkp67 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Look at your own mind when it's in a negative state.

Look at the sufferings of others: how pervasive suffering is, what it would feel like if you were affected by them.

Spend time with those who are likely to suffer the most: the homeless, the poor, the marginalized, the disabled, the ugly, etc. Don't ignore their suffering.

That's the best "university" that could exist for a Buddhist. Read Shantideva and Tsongkhapa (or other masters) for the fine points, if you're interested in the Mahayana, and implement what they teach. Everything else is just samsaric games that enlarge the ego and feed delusion.
Last edited by avatamsaka3 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Get a Wisdom Experience membership. Seriously, lots of excellent courses and stuff to read, especially if you pay the full membership. Even the lowest level gives access to a fair amount of stuff I think.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Second the Wisdom Experience.

My reservation, however, is that there are no basic courses. Even Garfield's three courses on Buddhist Philosophy starts at a pretty advanced level and go very quickly.

It would be nice to see courses that start with absolute baby steps... Who is the Buddha? What did he teach? How does one practice? And that last one at a nuts and bolts level - "This is how you set up an altar, this is how you make an offering, this is how you recite liturgies... " etc. I realize that these can be very different from tradition to tradition and even teacher to teacher.

Hint hint to content makers out there...
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:05 pm Second the Wisdom Experience.

My reservation, however, is that there are no basic courses. Even Garfield's three courses on Buddhist Philosophy starts at a pretty advanced level and go very quickly.

It would be nice to see courses that start with absolute baby steps... Who is the Buddha? What did he teach? How does one practice? And that last one at a nuts and bolts level - "This is how you set up an altar, this is how you make an offering, this is how you recite liturgies... " etc. I realize that these can be very different from tradition to tradition and even teacher to teacher.

Sravasti Abbey's SAFE courses are a very gentle introduction. I did two modules and recommend them to new comers.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:05 pm Second the Wisdom Experience.

Plenty of the books are like that, and it looks like some of the one-off courses might be to me. With the multi-part courses though, you're right, there are not many "beginner" type offerings.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Here's the course I was recommending. 10 courses (modules) each 12 weeks long:

https://sravastiabbey.org/learn-meditat ... -learning/
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche's school, Nitartha Institute.

https://nitarthainstitute.org/
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:08 pm Are there any others? Some that are quite good and more connected with Tibetan Buddhism?
Hey konchok thrinley, I heard about this one this morning. I don't know who the teacher(s) are, but the syllabus looks good.

https://www.rimeshedra.nyc/
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Thank you all very much for the lovely suggestions. I will make sure to look at them and see if they are within my possibilities.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 pm
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:08 pm Are there any others? Some that are quite good and more connected with Tibetan Buddhism?
Hey konchok thrinley, I heard about this one this morning. I don't know who the teacher(s) are, but the syllabus looks good.

Is this an open class that is simply on your own diligence or is there also a way to submit assignments/tests etc to get some form of on-paper proof you took the class?

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

karmanyingpo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:05 pm

Is this an open class that is simply on your own diligence or is there also a way to submit assignments/tests etc to get some form of on-paper proof you took the class?

KN
Not sure, check it out.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:36 pm
karmanyingpo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:05 pm

KN
Not sure, check it out.
As far as I could tell it was more of the former, but I wasn't sure. Looks promising either way. Like wow, getting even a fraction of a shedra style education would be quite something

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:05 pm
It would be nice to see courses that start with absolute baby steps...
That’s what Tricycle and Lion’s Roar’s domain.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”