Schizophrenia and buddhism

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
CaneRandagio

Schizophrenia and buddhism

Post by CaneRandagio »

Hi! In 2014 I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, since then I have been treated by a psychiatrist but I was wondering if Buddhism can help me in solving this problem.
Western medicine does not have a total cure, in Buddhism there are practices (mantras, exorcisms, or other) that can heal from this disease?
How is schizophrenia viewed in Buddhism?

Thanks
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Schizophrenia and buddhism

Post by Ayu »

I believe, this cannot be said generally for all persons.
It is bound to depend on the different person, different practices and situations.

And Buddhism is no treatment.

But I know a person who is doing quite well with buddhism. He didn't stop to take his medicine, but Buddhism helps him to distance from self-identification with the phenomenon and he's able to calm down from it to a certain extent.
FiveSkandhas

Re: hello

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I have to agree with Ayu. Psychosis or schizophrenia is perhaps a kind of physical disease as well as mental. My understanding is that you can't "think your way out" of schizophrenia any more than you can "think your way out" of a broken leg.

Buddhism cannot cure your broken leg but one can have a broken leg and be a Buddhist. I believe schizophrenics can practice Buddhism as well but personally I would not look for spells, exorcisms, or instant cures. One researcher said that simple guided mindfulness meditation and learning to reflect on and accept one's condition can be helpful to schizophrenics. She cautioned against prolonged silent meditation or complex esoteric visualizations and the like.

One schizophrenic woman said she felt helped by chanting the Daimoku and that it connected her to the universe, perhaps acting as a stabilizing factor.

There is an early Buddhist story about how a woman with a severe psychosis wandered naked and disheveled through the streets with a disordered mind. The people of the town stigmatized her and threw stones at her. Shakyamuni Buddha found her and comforted her, treating her with dignity and compassion. One day while watching streams of water flow in the rain she realized some were long and some were short, and likewise human lives had their own characteristics. This brought her to a greater awareness and acceptence of her condition. Eventually she recovered her sanity and took on a position of importance in the Buddhist community. There is always potential for recovery and the ability to gain a deeper insight into one's own nature, even for those deeply afflicted.

I wish you the best in your battle against your condition and also in your practice as a Buddhist, should you choose to become one.
:anjali:
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

Very excellent advice here.

Schizophrenia is a condition of the brain. It must be remembered that the brain is a part of the body as much as the leg or the hands. As FiveSkandhas said, you cannot think your way out of a broken leg, and the same can be said for a brain that isn't working as it should.

However, as someone who suffers from mental illness myself, I can say that Buddhism gave me a real reason to hope. I am not my legs or my hands. I am not my brain. I am not simply broken. Buddhist practice lends me stability and a reason to continue.

I wish you all the best. :heart:
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

speaking as moderator; please note; this forum is not a suitable venue for diagnosis and treatment of mental issues.
CaneRandagio

Post by CaneRandagio »

Ayu wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:19 pm Welcome.

Buddhism is no substitute for medication. Maybe the best solution is if you find a good psychiatrist who knows about Buddhism as well
FiveSkandhas wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 pm I have to agree with Ayu. Psychosis or schizophrenia is perhaps a kind of physical disease as well as mental. My understanding is that you can't "think your way out" of schizophrenia any more than you can "think your way out" of a broken leg.

Buddhism cannot cure your broken leg but one can have a broken leg and be a Buddhist. I believe schizophrenics can practice Buddhism as well but personally I would not look for spells, exorcisms, or instant cures. One researcher said that simple guided mindfulness meditation and learning to reflect on and accept one's condition can be helpful to schizophrenics. She cautioned against prolonged silent meditation or complex esoteric visualizations and the like.

One schizophrenic woman said she felt helped by chanting the Daimoku and that it connected her to the universe, perhaps acting as a stabilizing factor.

There is an early Buddhist story about how a woman with a severe psychosis wandered naked and disheveled through the streets with a disordered mind. The people of the town stigmatized her and threw stones at her. Shakyamuni Buddha found her and comforted her, treating her with dignity and compassion. One day while watching streams of water flow in the rain she realized some were long and some were short, and likewise human lives had their own characteristics. This brought her to a greater awareness and acceptence of her condition. Eventually she recovered her sanity and took on a position of importance in the Buddhist community. There is always potential for recovery and the ability to gain a deeper insight into one's own nature, even for those deeply afflicted.

I wish you the best in your battle against your condition and also in your practice as a Buddhist, should you choose to become one.

I am already followed by a psychiatrist and it is quite good but western medicine does not have a total remedy, also I have heard that there are exorcism practices in Buddhism to heal from this disease and other remedies
Last edited by CaneRandagio on Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

CaneRandagio wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:56 am
Ayu wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:19 pm Welcome.

Buddhism is no substitute for medication. Maybe the best solution is if you find a good psychiatrist who knows about Buddhism as well
FiveSkandhas wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 pm I have to agree with Ayu. Psychosis or schizophrenia is perhaps a kind of physical disease as well as mental. My understanding is that you can't "think your way out" of schizophrenia any more than you can "think your way out" of a broken leg.

I am already followed by a psychiatrist and it is quite good but western medicine does not have a total remedy, also I have heard that there are exorcism practices in Buddhism to heal from this disease and other remedies
It is quite good that you feel an affinity with the buddha dharma but please be cautious about being attracted to exorcism practices and make sure your bodhicitta motivation is strong, also please make sure if you do anything like that you have a qualified teacher to supervise and help as needed thanks!!! Wish you the best much love and encouragement

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

CaneRandagio wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:02 am Hi! i signed up because i am looking for information on how to cure schizophrenia with the help of buddhism.
There is no "cure" for schizophrenia. For the vast majority of people it is a relapsing, lifetime condition usually requiring medication and consistent treatment for stability. I wish that weren't true but it is. There are some conditions for which the "best" treatment is still not great.

There can be a lot wrong with the dehumanizing nature of going through "the system", but the best a person can do is advocate for themselves and know their options, as well as trying to find professionals who respect autonomy and dignity, and see patients as people with schizophrenia, rather than as "schizophrenics". That may sound contradictory but it is important, the best is to have folks who treat people as a human with a condition, not just as a condition. If you have that already, you are likely doing exactly what is needed to manage your schizophrenia.

Buddhism cannot cure chizophrenia, but some Buddhist practices might help with some aspects of dealing with the mind, and in coping with aspects of the condition, and perhaps even help discover how a spiritual practice might benefit your situation. You would need to seek out the right person though, and I do not know who that is off hand. You'd want someone you can trust for sure, and I have read just enough to know that you should be somewhat cautious with meditation and schizophrenia, just based on anecdotal evidence and the nature of meditation.
People say a lot of things, plenty of it is nonsense. While I think Buddhism can help you, it cannot make your condition just go away magically, and I would take the words of people who claim it can with a big grain of salt. in fact, I would just disregard them. No one just gets "cured" of schizophrenia by a ritual, etc. Some people have breaks and recover, but for most people it is a condition that requires lifetime management. That isn't to say there are not ceremonies, practices, etc. that would benefit you or help your condition, I am sure there are. However, as no one here is either a Buddhist teacher specializing in teaching those with your condition, nor a qualified mental health professional specializing in meditation for schizophrenia; the kind of advice you can get here is very limited.

Probably the best thing is to find professionals who care about your welfare and let you be the driver of your treatment. You might also search for an understanding Buddhist teacher who will work specifically with your condition. I would talk to your care team etc. and tell them you want to explore meditation and Buddhism, and and ask them if they have resources.

NAMI for instance I know has resources for faith communities, and I'll bet I can find something if I look for a while, I'll keep you posted.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I moved the advicing & discussing posts from CaneRandagio's introduction thread to this topic-related thread.

Mod note 2023: The topic continues here:
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 05#p681405

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”